London Jazz Fest 2005

ejp626

It looks like I will miss most of the London Jazz Fest. I thought pretty hard about McCoy Tyner (tonight) and Archie Shepp (the 11th I think), but just couldn't swing it. I think parts of the fest are on BBC Radio 3 for a week or so (maybe longer since they have 2004 still archived). I am leaning towards going to see Uri Caine on the 20th, though I must admit the fact it is being broadcast on the 24th does reduce the chance I will go. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had gone or was going, especially to the Uri Caine.

I see Joshua Redman and the SF Jazz Collective is coming in April and Sonny Rollins in May, and those are do-not-miss shows for me. Hopefully someone else will make them as well.

Eric

Must admit I haven't heard any of their stuff but it's a pretty attractive bill. I've wanted to see Tyner live for a long time now so it should be a good night. On another thread Adrian mentioned he saw him in Edinburgh last night and that he played beautifully.

Edited by Phil Meloy

I don't usually miss the chance to see David Murray. I can't say that I'm a great fan of he WSQ but they are doing their Hendrix 'tribute' and have Craig Harris, Gene Lake and Matthew Garrison guesting. The cd is one of their best imo.

Edited by JohnS

I saw McCoy last night in Edinburgh, solid if not spectacular set, the progamme was well varied. High point for me was a romping version of " Moments Notice" and a largely solo performance of " I should care". Bassist was Reginal Veal (sp?) didn't catch th drummer's name.

As I posted else where McCoy looked a little frail but he is 74 or so , however, his keyboard command was total and compelling.

McCoy isn't actually that old - 11th Dec 1938 I think, which would make him 67.

I'm in for the 'Gerald' on Thursday night - currently debating on whether or not to go for the Kurt Elling on Friday night. Opinions?

The Gerald Wilson was a no-brainer..

Incidentally, I was watching a video of him yesterday back in 1962 when he was still soloing on trumpet. Must be over 40 years since he stopped being featured on this and just stuck to arranging/directing.. :o

clunky - it was Reginald Veal on bass in McCoy's group plus the excellent Eric Harland on drums, I think. I thought the Poole gig was spectacular, one of the best performances I have ever seen from McCoy. Nice group empathy !

Edited by sidewinder

I'll be at Kurt Elling on Friday night sidewinder at the 7.30 show - tickets came in the post yesterday. There's also a second show at 10.30.

John S - did you manage to catch the name of the rhythm section with WSQ - I don't think they were the same as listed in the programme?

Edited by Phil Meloy

I saw McCoy last night in Edinburgh, solid if not spectacular set, the progamme was well varied. High point for me was a romping version of " Moments Notice" and a largely solo performance of " I should care". Bassist was Reginal Veal (sp?) didn't catch th drummer's name.

As I posted else where McCoy looked a little frail but he is 74 or so , however, his keyboard command was total and compelling.

Adrian

The drummer was Eric Gravatt. Ex Weather Report and an associate of Tyner's from his Milestone days.

Adrian

The drummer was Eric Gravatt. Ex Weather Report and an associate of Tyner's from his Milestone days.

I must need my hearing testing, John. I was sure that Tyner said Harland on the second intro (his voice was very quiet) but on first announcement I only heard the word 'Eric' and thought 'that couldn't possibly be Eric Gravatt, could it?'. In any event, he was spectacular. He's the guy who spent all those years as a prison guard after playing in Weather Report, right?

Edited by sidewinder

McCoy Tyner's trio currently touring Europe has Reginald Veal on bass and Eric Kamau Gravatt on drums.

Ah - I suspect Tyner might have used the double-barrelled name (he was mumbling into the mike, which didn't help), which added to the uncertainty. In any event this Eric looks to be in his early 50s-ish so would be in the right timeline for Mr Gravatt. A superb technician, in any event.

Just thought it would be an idea to let any board members out of range of London know that BBC Radio 3 are recording a number of concerts and you will be able to access them online. Some that I know of are McCoy Tyner Trio, Uri Caine, and the World Saxophone Quartet.

Edited by Phil Meloy

A fine show by Gerald Wilson with the BBC Radio Big Band last night at the QEH. Gerald was in great form and he succeeded in getting his trademark sound from the BBC BB with what must have been just a couple of days of rehearsal.

The first half featured many of the greatest hits. 'Carlos', 'Jeri', 'Teri' and 'Milestones'. The BBC Radio Big Band rose to the event superbly - particular mention to veteran Vic Ash featured on tenor, Gerard Presencer (mainly on flugel) and some stratospheric high-note work by trumpeter Bruce Adams on 'Carlos'. A particular high point was the extract from 'Theme For Monterey', with its wonderful orchestration.

One impression made on me was that - superb though this music is when listened to on the Mosaic set etc. - its only when heard live that you get the full impact of the multi-harmonies, interplay of the sections and truly intricate section dynamics that permeate all of Gerald's orchestral work.

In the second half Gerald spotlited his excellent new commision in 3 parts - 'The Diminished Triangle', a rendition of 'Viva Tirado' (with nice reminiscences from Gerald about El Chicano making it a 'hit' - apparently they will be doing a show together in LA as a sort of 'tribute' to this number) and an excellent 'Blues for Yna Yna'. There were a few slight memory lapses towards the end but for an 86 year old his enthusiasm for the music and the band under his direction were truly amazing !

To top it all his wife Josefine and daughter Jeri were also in the audience and introduced from the stage (sounds like they are all off to Baker Street today to buy Gerald a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker to go with his Shelock cape :D ). The only shame I thought was that the hall was only about 50%-ish full - not easy I guess to sell-out the QEH mid-week but how many more times will Gerald appear over here? As far as I am aware, I think this must have been his first ever UK big band engagement directing his own music.

Edited by sidewinder

I was there too...I agree that the music comes across so much better live, especially the stuff from the latest release...I was listening to that cd on the way home and it sounded much thinner.

I thought the band were a little mixed, with some highs and lows, but one thing that made my Wife and I really laugh was the look on the (young) guitarists face whenever he wasn't soloing..he looked so bored, like a petulant teenager !

BTW, I sat behind Gerald's wife and daughter for the secondhalf of the show, and found myself clapping harder than normal to compensate for the lowish turnout.

And re. the turnout I agree, what a shame .. whenever is there going to be another chance ....?

BTW, I sat behind Gerald's wife and daughter for the secondhalf of the show, and found myself clapping harder than normal to compensate for the lowish turnout. 

Wow !

I was up on row 3 right in front of Gerald - even up at the front there were a significant number of spaces which were free. Criminal, really..

The guitarist was Phil Robson - I thought he soloed really well but when not soloing he sat down/retreated to the back so I missed the possible bored expression.

I think the band did really well, considering the limited rehearsal time and demanding charts. Better than I could have expected, actually. 'Viva Tirado' could have done with a bit more US 'swagger'.

Yes, the CD sound is a bit on the 'thin' side after the live show but I think it's a good one. Those orchestrations have to be heard live to be really fully appreciated.

Who knows if and when Gerald will be back over here? I truly hope so - apparently I hear his itinery through 2006 is looking pretty full.

I was there too and was very surprised at the poor turnout - I'm not even sure it was 50% full.

I'd never heard any of his music before and generally prefer small groups but I had a fantastic time - his enthusiasm was infectious and the band themsleves (possibly excepting the guitarist!) seemed to be having a ball.

I'd be very surprised if he came again, though, given the turnout. Where would he play?

I'd be very surprised if he came again, though, given the turnout. Where would he play?

Purcell Room perhaps?

Saw Kurt Elling supported by Ian Shaw at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on Friday night. Elling was absolutely amazing as were the Lawrence Hobgood Trio who accompanied him.

Edited by Phil Meloy