Roscoe Mitchell recommendations

John B

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fascinating stuff; Roscoe is still a mystery to me, probably because his methods are so much different than my own. But there's a core to his saxophone playing that I find particularly compelling, a very unique attack that is incredibly deep. Beyond that, when it comes to his music, I still feel like I am on the outside looking in.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 5 years later...

I've been listening to Solo [3] from 2004 an awful lot over the past week, and I am really impressed by what a great album it is. Really varied, and up there with his best solo works.

I hadn't really explored "late" era Roscoe Mitchell before now.  Are there any others that people on this board really rate?  For these purposes, late = post-Snurdy, so '81 onwards.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

SOUND -- more or less the start, and it's as great now was it was back then.

I know it well. A stone cold classic album, and one of my favourites (probably up there with A Love Supreme in my own personal top list).

My knowledge of Roscoe Mitchell is fairly good up to 1981 and then peters out. 

Listening to the Conversations one now. Very good so far. I like the mystery drummer concept. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

No, i did, really.

And I do, really.

Half or more of the stuff I buy from board members is to replace "copies", of things. I do feel guilty about loving a record so much and then only having a burn or an MP3 of it when I can afford a real copy

Fresh Sound/etc stuff, no, I don't do that, it's not real enough for me, it's like buying somebody else's CD-rs. But otherwise, yeah, I tend to treat this aspect of object ownership with the same..."code" as I try to treat people - if you love them enough, do right by them, don't look to get something for nothing out of them.

I might well be an asshole in many ways, but this will not be one of them! :g

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, i did, really.

And I do, really.

Half or more of the stuff I buy from board members is to replace "copies", of things. I do feel guilty about loving a record so much and then only having a burn or an MP3 of it when I can afford a real copy

Fresh Sound/etc stuff, no, I don't do that, it's not real enough for me, it's like buying somebody else's CD-rs. But otherwise, yeah, I tend to treat this aspect of object ownership with the same..."code" as I try to treat people - if you love them enough, do right by them, don't look to get something for nothing out of them.

I might well be an asshole in many ways, but this will not be one of them! :g

O.K. - trigger pulled. It's on the way.