Roscoe Mitchell recommendations

John B

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's hardly alone in that regard, although Wide Hive has also been doing good work with him the last few years.

He's a very prolific recording artist. There's been plenty to absorb for the last several decades, you just have to want to know about it and then want to get it. A lot of it has not been that hard to find, really. Some things, like that trio record, yeah. But a lot of it is/was available on Amazon or Dusty Groove, while it's in print, anyway.

And that's the trick - get it while it's in print, carpe diem.

8 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

There are some fine recordings on the Pi label - https://pirecordings.com/artists/roscoe-mitchell/

Ah yes! I’d forgotten about Pi. I actually have two of those. 

Wide Hive I was not aware of as a label even though I’d been streaming Conversations 1 and 2. 

The Roguearts have been distributed over here (I still doubt the policy of making all releases look the same...). Let’s not forget the Otoruko!

I agree with Jim though. Like with most contemporary recordings, you need to grab it when you see it. 

I do know there’s plenty of recordings of his stuff, just still find it remarkable that someone who’s at the top like that for so long is more sustained in Europe. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Also a couple of great recordings on 482 Music from a few years back, particularly the duo with Mike Reed (who seems to have gone very quiet of late)

Hm yes. That’s a US label of which I’ve got very low awareness. The only one of theirs I knew about was Guerrilla Mosaics, which we discussed here when it came out. 

I've been working my way through these recommendations over the weekend (thanks again). 

One thing that jumps out is how varied Mitchell's sound, composition and ideas remained even in his 60s and 70s (and hopefully will continue to remain in his 80s!). His solos on albums like Solo [3], Conversations and the Otoroku one all have such a different sound and feel. 

I'd always know that was true for his earlier period - compare Nonaah to Snurdy - but it is impressive to see how he has kept it up, particularly when other greats are putting out records that are basically variations on themes they laid down in the 1970s.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'd be tempted if they were downloads at that price. I don't think Rogue Art have moved to that format yet.

Looks like they may have a surplus of CDs to shift.

I’m tempted but I have a cart with like 8 Astral Spirits CD’s to hit the button on

for me it’s still CD’s or streaming on Tidal 

2 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’m tempted but I have a cart with like 8 Astral Spirits CD’s to hit the button on

for me it’s still CD’s or streaming on Tidal 

I have about five Astral Spirits in my Bandcamp cart.  The CDs don't get over here so it's definitely DLs for those, or sometimes I find them on Spotify.  I find it's the label that most consistently releases new music of interest by musicians and combinations that are relatively new to me these days. A bit like Clean Feed were ten years ago and Not Two five years ago (I know you're still a big fan, Steve).

Now listening to the Mazurek Matter/Anti Matter that's in that Rogue Art batch. Great stuff but then I do love Exploding Star

• 4 months later...