Chuck Nessa Returns

Guest Chaney

Vacation was GREAT! I gamble enough with my label, and did not spend a dime on games of chance in Vegas. My wife Ann threw away some quarters, but that's it.

Thanks to Catesta and Riverrat for suggestions before we left.

We met some list members on the way and extend a special thanks to Jim and Brenda Sangrey - some damn fine folks.

Taking this thread in a different direction, I have a recommendation for all travelers in the West. Do not ignore the Black Canyon National Park! It is just east of Montrose, Colorado.

This place scared the shit out of me and left the biggest impression. The photos on the official website do not do it justice. The walls are so sheer and the canyon so deep, some of it has never seen daylight. We arrived just before sunset and found the others there (very few people in the park) whispering to each other - it has that kind of effect.

Guest Chaney

If you're interested Chuck, there is a LISTING for the sale of a privately owned 112.78 parcel within the park.

Appraised at $1,240,600.00 (Feb. 1, 2002)

Being offered in two configurations:

$1,240,600.00 on one parcel of 112.78 acres

$500,000.00 per 37 acre parcel (3 available)

Owner will finance, 1/3rd down, balance over 5 years, annual payments at 8% interest.

Maybe the future home of Nessa Records? You wouldn't mind having the government as a partner, would you?

BlackCanyonCoverWeb2.jpg

No thanks. I have a severe fear of heights and this canyon beckoned me to jump. I walked away from the edge quickly and told Ann I would not return. I did say it scared the shit out of me.

I hear you on this! My scariest time was when, stupid me, I thought it would be "fun" to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. :o:o:o That strange pull was there the whole time, and I promised myself: NEVER AGAIN!

I did drive from Montrose down to Durango which was scary as hell!

Then I believe you did drive Red Mountain,Coal Bank and Molas passes.Our high school basketball teams used to play in a tournament in Montrose "the Black Canyon Classic". The tournament was the final one before Christmas break and it was mostly the parents of the players who went to see the tournament. One paticular year it snowed for days on end but a lot of people who went to see it took Coal Bank,Molas and Red Mountain Pass during the snow storm. According to one observer those people who took that route when they arrived at the gym(fortunately they all did)had the look of death on their faces and these are people who are used to driving in rough weather.