Need recs on Pentangle/Fairport Convention

skeith

Froots have just put out their records of the year list - compiled from nominations from a wide list of their writers and associates:

1. Shirley Collins Lodestar (From Here)
2. Kristi Stassinopoulou & Stathis Kalyviotis Nyn (Riverboat)
3. Jim Moray Upcetera (NIAG)
4. Aziza Brahim Abbar El Hamada (Glitterbeat)
5. The Gloaming The Gloaming 2 (Real World)
6. Josienne Clarke & Ben Walker Overnight (Rough Trade)
7.= Maarja Nuut Une Meeles (Maarja Nuut)
      Refugees For Refugees Amerli (Muziekpublique)
9. The Furrow Collective Wild Hog (Hudson)
10. Leyla McCalla A Day For The Hunter, A Day For The Prey (Jazz Village)
11. Elza Soares A Mulher Do Fim Do Mundo (Mais Um Discos)
12. Calypso Rose Far From Home (Because)
13.= Leveret In The Round (RootBeat)
        Noura Mint Seymali Arbina (Glitterbeat)
15. Afro Celt Sound System The Source (ECC)
16. Bombino Azel (Knitting Factory)
17.= Lady Maisery Cycle (RootBeat);
        Lakou Mizik Wa Di Yo (Cumbancha)
19.= Kris Drever If Wishes Were Horses (Reveal)
        Orkesta Mendoza ¡Vamos A Guarachar! (Glitterbeat)

Runners Up (alphabetically): 9Bach Anian (Real World); Bellowhead Live: The Farewell Tour (Navigator); The Breath Carry Your Kin (Real World); Bush Gothic The Natural Selection Australian Songbook (Fydle); Jim Causley Forgotten Kingdom (Hands On Music); Daoiri Farrell True Born Irishman (Daoiri); Martin Green Flit (Reveal); Derek Gripper Libraries On Fire (Derek Gripper); Harp & A Monkey War Stories (Harp & A Monkey/Moonraker); Fay Hield Old Adam (Soundpost); Kayhan Kalhor, Aynur, Cemil Qocgiri & Salman Gambarov Hawniyaz (Harmonia Mundi); Nancy Kerr Instar (Little Dish); Konono No 1 Konono Meets Batida (Crammed); Las Hermanas Caronni Navega Mundos (Les Grands Fleuves); Mekons Existentialism (Bloodshot); Moussu T E Lei Jovents Navega! (Manivette); Julie Murphy Every Bird That Flies (Shells In The Ocean); Rant Reverie (Make Believe); Kaela Rowan The Fruited Thorn (Shoogle); Kate Rusby Life In A Paper Boat (Pure); Hannah Sanders & Ben Savage Before The Sun (Sungrazing); Anoushka Shankar Land Of Gold (Deutsche Grammophon); Songs Of Separation Songs Of Separation (Navigator); Ruth Theodore Cactacus (Aveline); Yorkston – Thorne – Khan Everything Sacred (Domino).

Details here along with their reissue picks and best packaging choices. 

http://www.frootsmag.com/content/critpoll/

Red ones are records I've enjoyed (all English - I'm clearly more Brexit than I like to think!). Songs of Separation would be my top choice...but I've yet to hear the Shirley Collins. I'd throw in Maz O'Connor's 'The Longing Kind' and the just released Methera disc 'Vortex' - have a feeling Maz doesn't fit Froots definition of cool. They tend to disapprove of singer songwriters....except for singer songwriters they approve of. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just discovered Pentangle's "Finale" album - recorded during their 2008 reunion tour and released a couple of months ago. I don't think it's been mentioned here yet. What a great album - the performances by all of the original members AND the production quality.

Here's a review from the "fruk" webzine: PENTANGLE – FINALE: AN EVENING WITH…

Edited by BFrank