Bop In Britian Vols. I & II

The Mule

This was posted by John Delaney on AAJ

I took the liberty of pasting it in answer to your question. Hope John doesn't mind.. saved a lot of typing.

" Here's the discographical data:

Bop-In' Britain Vol.1 - "The Learning Curve" - Jasmine JASCD 637

(a) "Bosworth Modern Jazz Group":- Freddy Gardner - Tenor; Johnny Douglas - Accordion;

Howard Lucraft - Guitar; Steve Race - Piano; Mickey Rome - Bass; Roy Cooper - Drums.

Recorded 14th March 1949. (B) "Steve Race Bop Group":- Johnny Dankworth - Alto; Leon

Calvert - Trumpet; Pete Chilver - Guitar; Steve Race - Piano; Jack Fallon - Bass; Norman Burns -

Drums. Recorded 31st August 1949. © Alan Dean's Beboppers :-Johnny Dankworth - Alto; Ronnie

Scott - Tenor; Reg Arnold - Trumpet; Bernie Fenton - Piano; Pete Chilver - Guitar; Joe Muddel - Bass;

Laurie Morgan - Drums; Alan Dean - Vocal. Recorded 29th April 1949. (d) Johnny Dankworth

Seven:- Johnny Dankworth - Alto; Don Rendell - Tenor; Jimmy Deuchar - Trumpet; Eddie Harvey -

Trombone; Bill Le Sage - Piano; Joe Muddel - Bass; Tony Kinsey - Drums. Recorded 18th May 1950.

(e) Ralph Sharon Sextet:- Jimmy Skidmore - Tenor; Vic Feldman - Vibes; Pete Chilver - Guitar;

Ralph Sharon - Piano; Fallon - Bass; Martin Aston - Drums./ Recorded 27th March 1950. (f)

Tommy Whittle Quartet:- Tommy Whittle - Tenor; Ronnie Ball - Piano; Frank Donnison - Bass;

Tony Kinsey - Drums. Recorded 13th September 1951. (g) Tommy Whittle Septet:- Tommy Whittle - Tenor;

Roy Willox - Alto; George Hunter - Baritone; Bobby Pratt - Trumpet; Frank Horrox - Piano;

Johnny Hawksworth - Bass; Ronnie Verrell - Drums. Recorded 23rd October 1951. 72 mins.

Rebop Rebels (a)/ Quintessence (a)/ Boppin' The Boogie (a)/ Baltimore Bop (a)/ Vertigo (B)/

Marzipan (B)/ Bugle Call Bop (B)/ Microcosmo (B)/ Gone With The Windmill (take 1) ©/ Gone With

The Windmill (take 2) ©/ Barbados ©/ Elevenses ©/ Lightly Politely (d)/ Strike Up The Band (d)/

Marmaduke (d)/ Little Benny (d)/ Burman's Bauble (e)/ Boptical Illusion (e)/ All The Things You

Are (f)/ Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps (f)/ Wit's End (g)/ Portland Place (g)/ Sam's Say (g)/ Night And

Day(g)

Bop-in' Britain Vol.2 - "Gettin' The Message" - Jasmine JASDCD 638

(a) Vic Feldman All-Stars:- Jimmy Deuchar - Trumpet; Ken Wray - Trombone; Derek Humble -

Alto; Harry Klein - Baritone; Vic Feldman - Vibes; Stan Tracey - Piano; Lennie Bush - Bass;

Martin Aston - Drums. Recorded 3rd March 1952. (B) Arnold Ross Quintet / Trio:- Jimmy Deuchar -

trumpet; Tommy Whittle - Tenor; Arnold Ross - Piano; Joe Benjamin - Bass; Jack Parnell or

Tony Kinsey - Drums. Recorded 13th June 1952. © Arnold Ross Sextet:- Jimmy Deuchar - Trumpet;

Humble - Alto; Ronnie Scott - Tenor; Arnold Ross - Piano; Sammy Stokes - Bass; Jack Parnell - Drums.

Recorded 3rd August 1952. (d) Vic Ash All Stars:- Vic Ash - Clarinet; Gerry McLoughlin - Vibes;

Derek Smith - Piano; Johnny Hawkesworth - Bass; Allan Ganley - Drums. Recorded 16th

February 1954. (e) Joe Harriott Quartet:- Joe Harriott - Alto; Dill Jones - Piano; Jack Fallon -

Bass; Phil Seaman - Drums. Recorded February 1954. (f) Tony Hall Hall-Stars:- Joe Hunter -

Trumpet; Joe Temperley - Tenor; Kenny Napper - Piano; Sammy Stokes - Bass; Phil Seaman -

Drums. Recorded January 1954. 70 mins.

Lullaby In Rhythm (a)/ Serenity (a)/ Just Friends (a)/ Euphony (a)/ Janie (B)/ Darn That Dream,

(B)/ Speechless (B)/ Twelve To Four (B)/ The Champ ©/ All The Things You Are ©/ Once In A

While ©/ These Foolish Things ©/ Nice Work If You Can Get It ©/ Softly As In A Morning Sunrise

(d)/ Ain't Misbehavin' (d)/ Blue Room (d)/ Lullaby Of The Leaves (d)/ Summertime (e)/ April In

Paris (e)/ Cherokee (e)/ Out Of Nowhere (e)/ Hi-Ya Mr Jackson (f)/ Spaceship (f).

No clashes with the Esquire 4CDset. Indeed no Esquire material is on either of these two CDs.

John Delaney "

This is all rare material from small British Labels and none of this appears to have been on CD or even LP reissues.

the music is not as dated as I had expected but might sound a bit tame to seasoned American Bop ears.

The titles of the CD's are appropriate Vol 1 The Learning Curve

Vol 2 Getting the Message

All in all a valuable reissue set for followers of early British Modern Jazz, and collectors of the musicians involved.

Edited by P.D.

I don't mind the re-posting, PD.

For anyone interested in early British bop the current position regarding recordings has never been better. The Esquire box set and these two Jasmines almost gather together the complete species.

There's some bits and pieces that appeared on the major labels such as HMV, Decca, Columbia and Regal-Zonophone. About a CDs worth and its all over 50 years old and outside the European copyright limit. Hint, hint!

Discographers should look under Harry Hayes, Jack Parnell, The Jive Bombers, Tito Burns, Alan Dean and Jazz Rally. Having said that though I'm not sure if they are even in Bruyninckx or Jepsen.

I haven't investigated in detail but there might still be more Esquire stuff that could be issued. And I'm not referring to material from the mid fifties onwards, by the way.

If you are interested in this period try to get hold of a five page article by Jim Burns that appeared in Jazz Monthly in, I think, the early 1970s entitled My Baby Likes To Be-bop.

The writer mentions that four Harry Hayes sides cut for HMV in October 1946 are the first to show some bop mannerisms. It seems that the first BBC broadcast of British bop took place in May 1947; as far as I know no recording exists of this.

John Delaney

"Esquire Box Set"?! Do tell! Is that available stateside?

Well it was.. some time ago CD Esquire 100-4..Bebop in Britain

It contains most of the music that Esquire recorded by the British BeBop bands roughly between 1948 and 1951.. Ronnie Scott / Vic Feldman / Kenny Graham ( not all of his ) Vic Lewis etc.

Prior to the Box there were two @CD albums, that later were combined to make the box.

One was Called Soho Bop, can't remember the other one.

There is a copy of Soho Bop for auction on Ebay.. ( not mine)

It was copyrighted on 1996.. The box was 1991, so I must be wrong about the 2CD sets being first.. I know I found mine long before I ever saw the box.. so if you are interrested and cannot find the box listed, Ebay might be a solution.

Edited by P.D.

The Esquire box set may still be found but you will have to search for it. It was called "Bebop In Britain", the number is CDESQ100-4 and it was issued in 1991 by Charly Records Ltd.

Bits and pieces from this set later appeared on other labels such as Coolnote, Hallmark and so on. These are cheap labels and the product is usually found on market stalls and the like. UK ebay often has them. There may have been more than two CDs, by the way.

Esquire Ronnie Scott stuff not included in the box set can be found on "Ronnie Scott, Live At The Jazz Club" on Time Music International TM1213. This label is nothing to do with Time magazine and is another of the cheap market stall type products which can also often be found on UK ebay. This CD has material taken from two Esquire LPs; 32-001 and 32-002. All of the former is present: Got The Message of the LP being correctly titled Popo on the CD. Four titles from the latter LP are missing.

These missing titles, plus 32-003 (of March 1954) and 32-006 (of September 1954) still have to make an appearance on CD. All are by the eight or nine piece Ronnie Scott Jazz Group/Orchestra.

After the box set was issued it was intended that to follow would be a series of single Esquire CDs fairly closely following the series of Esquire LP reissues usually known as the "Treasure Chest" series. Brian Davis prepared revised sleeve notes for these but they were not to be.

Some time in the future I hope that Brian can be persuaded to write up his first hand experiences of the period. Perhaps Tony Hall, too.

John Delaney

I got it for a GREAT price. I couldn't believe I was the only bid and expected to pay much more than I did. Whole thing including shipping to the states was 19 pounds...

The seller is also a very friendly and charming guy who has been collecting jazz for 40+ years.

Thanks again!

• 10 years later...

I am resurrecting this decade-old thread for a specific inquiry.

After the Bebop in Britain 4-CD box set done by Charly (gathering Esquire recordings from the late 40s/early 50s) was mentioned in passing in the Tommy Whittle obit thread my curiosity was aroused so I checked the contents online and though I have close to three quarters of the contents on the Equire LPs reissued long ago I sprung for it as a dirt cheap new copy was around on amazon.

So .... here goes:

While listening to the 4th CD set ("In ALL Directions") the contents of which are mostly new to me, I noticed an oddity: This CD has only 22 tracks instead of the 24 listed on the cover and in the booklet. After aural checking, the Norman Burns quintet occupies tracks 9 to 13 instead of 9 to 14 (Bye Bye Blackbird is track 13 instead of 14), and one of the Tito Burns tracks also seems to have gone AWOL.

DId any others who won this set notice this, and do any experts happen to know which tracks exactly are missing? (Not being famlilar with the various originals on that set it is hard to tell which is which if you have not heard those tracks elsewhere before)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Just checked my Esquire Box - it looks like they have left out one of the Tito Burns tracks ('Everloving Blues' I think) and also one of the Norman Burns tracks (either track 9 or 10 per the booklet). CD total running time restrictions perhaps? A shame !

That CD4 of this box is great, especially those Kenny Graham tracks. What an interesting and under-rated group that was - covering sort of similar ground to James Moody's Modernists but with an added Brit 'angle'. The Tito Burns tracks are interesting too - incidentally I recall that vocalist Terry Devon/Burns passed away not too long ago.

Edited by sidewinder

After the Bebop in Britain 4-CD box set done by Charly (gathering Esquire recordings from the late 40s/early 50s) was mentioned in passing in the Tommy Whittle obit thread my curiosity was aroused so I checked the contents online and though I have close to three quarters of the contents on the Equire LPs reissued long ago I sprung for it as a dirt cheap new copy was around on amazon.

So .... here goes:

While listening to the 4th CD set ("In ALL Directions") the contents of which are mostly new to me, I noticed an oddity: This CD has only 22 tracks instead of the 24 listed on the cover and in the booklet. After aural checking, the Norman Burns quintet occupies tracks 9 to 13 instead of 9 to 14 (Bye Bye Blackbird is track 13 instead of 14), and one of the Tito Burns tracks also seems to have gone AWOL.

DId any others who won this set notice this, and do any experts happen to know which tracks exactly are missing? (Not being famlilar with the various originals on that set it is hard to tell which is which if you have not heard those tracks elsewhere before)

My copy has all 24 tracks

So .... here goes:

My copy has all 24 tracks

also here: all complete and in right order!

Keep boppin´

marcel

Thanks for your input, everybody. So there must have been a "pressing" run with only 22 tracks on CD4. Very odd ...

This seems to be confirmed by this site that I came across while searching for a track listing before deciding to buy:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=494727

Though they indicate that the final 2 tracks by Vic Lewis were omitted for a total of 22 tracks on that CD (which does not seem to be the case after all).

I guess I'l use the samples on this site to check more closely which tracks are missing on mine:

http://www.amazon.de/BeBop-In-Britain-Various-artists/dp/B003HLX4IE

Edited by Big Beat Steve