Let's Get to the Nitty Gritty

Foreword by Zawinul?  That will be interesting, as long as it goes beyond the usual lip service.  Not the kind of guy I ever expected to write a foreword to someone else's bio.

Bertrand.

Who really gives a shit about the forward? Has anyone ever purchased a book based on someone writing the forward? :wacko:

Thanks for the heads up, Tom. I'm glad this really is coming out and it will leap to the top of my book list when it does.

No need to invoke the specter of nazism.

none intended. The paper ubu posted is from 1877 as is indicated in the upper right hand corner. The paper published the famous anti-Dühring essay (or rather book) by Friedrich Engels. The title of the paper "Vorwärts" translates to "Forward", a little poke at Dan's insistent misspelling.

No need to invoke the specter of nazism.

none intended. The paper ubu posted is from 1877 as is indicated in the upper right hand corner. The paper published the famous anti-Dühring essay (or rather book) by Friedrich Engels. The title of the paper "Vorwärts" translates to "Forward", a little poke at Dan's insistent misspelling.

I have an insistent misspelling???

Bertrand, I was just shocked that anyone would even comment on who writes the forward or expect anything of any consequence whatsoever from the forward. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Zawinul says something about how Horace's playing and compositions inspired him, blah blah blah, he's a jazz legend, blah blah blah. Blah blah.

Dan,

'Bertrand, I was just shocked that anyone would even comment on who writes the forward or expect anything of any consequence whatsoever from the forward. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Zawinul says something about how Horace's playing and compositions inspired him, blah blah blah, he's a jazz legend, blah blah blah. Blah blah'

Ah - now I see where you're getting at.

I must have not been super clear in my message. My point was exactly that - usually, forewords are useless, but because it's Zawinul, it might actually be something more. Zawinul is not actually a pro-bio kind of guy (he ripped his biographer Brian Glasser to shreds), so I'm kind of curious as to what he might have to say. Yes, there's a good chance it will be as you described, but there's a chance it might not be. Usually, I gloss over the forewords, but here I'll make a point of paying attention.

That is what I meant.

Ubu,

Your reference was way too obscure for me! I couldn't read the fine print or the date.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

A Nitty Gritty is a Record Cleaner.

Here is the nitty gritty on it:

The Ultimate 2-Sided LP Cleaner...

Automatically wets, rotates, scrubs and vacuums both sides simultaneously. (WOW!)

Mini-Pro1 Black Vinyl Woodgrain Cabinet $945

Mini-Pro2 Oak Cabinet $1015

Mini-Pro Special Edition Cocobolo Cabinet $1090

http://www.nittygrittyinc.com/mini-pro.htm

As you can see the prices are quite reasonable.

Must get back to my Johnny Walker Blue Label, Toodle O :crazy:

How about America's newspaper?

Grit

When I was a kid there were always ads for that damned thing, usually with some goofy kid wearing a carrier's bag.

I remember these ads in the back of comic books, yet I have never seen a copy of Grit, nor do I know anyone who has! :huh:

I saw 'em in the back of comic books too, and I've never seen a copy of Grit either! Maybe it was a front for child slave labor. :o^_^

How about America's newspaper?

Grit

When I was a kid there were always ads for that damned thing, usually with some goofy kid wearing a carrier's bag.

I remember these ads in the back of comic books, yet I have never seen a copy of Grit, nor do I know anyone who has! :huh:

I saw 'em in the back of comic books too, and I've never seen a copy of Grit either! Maybe it was a front for child slave labor. :o^_^

In the small town where I grew up, there was a newsstand that actually sold Grit for a while. I bought a few copies, just to check out what all the comic book ads were talking about. Seemed to be a weekly newspaper for people who found Reader's Digest too cynical...

• 3 months later...