King Crimson

GregK

Very interesting. I have yet to buy downloaded music but I think they may have gotten me. Good mix of stuff with more to come. I like the write ups for each show as well. For Jahnhalle '74: "What had seemed robust in the music the night before (at Mainz) now became threatening . . . the unsettling power of the performance comes through." :ph34r: It's interesting that it's $12.95 FLAC whether 1 disc or 2. But it's a price point that seems fairer than a certain other band famous for their live shows that shall go nameless. :lol:

Now I'm going to pretend I haven't looked over the site until sometime after T-Day! OK, if I get some Xmas shopping done I'll reward myself with something Crim!

Thanks for the heads up.

Are volumes 3-4 of Epitaph still in print? I have the first 2 discs on CD, dug them out for the first time in several years, and have been digging them a lot over the past two weeks. Damn good music.

And is The Great Deceiver in or out of print these days? I'm not enough of a Crimson nut to get it right now (particularly not at the ridiculously overinflated price that it was selling for a few years back) but I may be tempted at some point.

- Guy

Edited by Guy

Are volumes 3-4 of Epitaph still in print? I have the first 2 discs on CD, dug them out for the first time in several years, and have been digging them a lot over the past two weeks. Damn good music.

And is The Great Deceiver in or out of print these days? I'm not enough of a Crimson nut to get it right now (particularly not at the ridiculously overinflated price that it was selling for a few years back) but I may be tempted at some point.

- Guy

The Great Deceiver is available at the Discipline Global Mobile shop for $63 (before shipping.) That's less than I paid for it (from them a few years ago) and it's worth every penny.

Epitaph 3 & 4 is available for $13.99 from the same providing you spell it correctly in the search box. :P

As they own their music they're doing a great job at keeping their catalog in print. I've ordered from them many times and never had any problems.

Epitaph vol 3 & 4 are excellent; in fact I listen to them more than the original 2 volumes that were included in the box. Better sound in some places, too.

If you think you might be interested in the Great Deceiver, get it!!! 4 discs of some absolutely some stunning improvisations, and the songs from the studio albums differ enough to make interesting contrasts

Epitaph vol 3 & 4 are excellent; in fact I listen to them more than the original 2 volumes that were included in the box. Better sound in some places, too.

If you think you might be interested in the Great Deceiver, get it!!! 4 discs of some absolutely some stunning improvisations, and the songs from the studio albums differ enough to make interesting contrasts

Thanks for the rec. It's more a restriction imposed by a huge backlog of 40 unlistened-to CDs than a lack of interest. However the $14 tag on vols 3 & 4 of Epitaph will be harder to ignore.

Guy

I wish they offered something that I really wanted like the Frippertronics archives. :angry:

There's a Fripp solo outing from the World Financial Centre, 11/30/00...

That's a Soundscape done with a synthesizer. I'm into the Frippertronics from the '70s-'80s with a fuzz pedal and analog tape.

I think I was at that show. Let's see how long I can resist buying it. :rfr

• 4 weeks later...

As a reward for getting the presents mailed off that require that, I treated myself to a download.

Pretty simple process and they provide good instructions. I used Azureus instead of their recommended torrent program and of course it didn't matter. I think they suggest the official BitTorrent program to ease their support role.

I grabbed March 31, 1974 and lemme tell ya, it's a good one! The 2nd improv alone makes it a keeper. Sound quality is excellent. It's got me playing some of the KCCCs I haven't played in a few months (though I've been dipping into the Great Deceiver box at least once a month since summer.)

I do believe I'll succumb and pick up the top download of June 28, 1974 Ashury Park later on. Heck, maybe even on Christmas Day. Ah the beauty of downloads. I do want to explore more modern incarnations too, and more from the Projekcts. What a great site! What a dangerous place!

As a reward for getting the presents mailed off that require that, I treated myself to a download.

Pretty simple process and they provide good instructions. I used Azureus instead of their recommended torrent program and of course it didn't matter. I think they suggest the official BitTorrent program to ease their support role.

I grabbed March 31, 1974 and lemme tell ya, it's a good one! The 2nd improv alone makes it a keeper. Sound quality is excellent. It's got me playing some of the KCCCs I haven't played in a few months (though I've been dipping into the Great Deceiver box at least once a month since summer.)

I do believe I'll succumb and pick up the top download of June 28, 1974 Ashury Park later on. Heck, maybe even on Christmas Day. Ah the beauty of downloads. I do want to explore more modern incarnations too, and more from the Projekcts. What a great site! What a dangerous place!

That Asbury Park one is a revelation. The extended Easy Money has a great improv-I didn't realize that they stretched it out like that. And the well-known Asbury Park improv is the full length version here, all of it vital. This is one of the very best shows I have heard from this band. I've listened to it almost daily since I downloaded it. And if you're interested in the double trio, check out the show from Sep 1994 (Buenos Aires)-they do a good version of Discipline, and the rawness of the show is fascinating to hear (I believe it was very early in their return to public performance, maybe their first or second show)

That Asbury Park one is a revelation. The extended Easy Money has a great improv-I didn't realize that they stretched it out like that. And the well-known Asbury Park improv is the full length version here, all of it vital.

Oh cut that out! ;) It's taken a great deal of strength not to hit download since I've played the one I just downloaded. Seriously, I really was thinking of Xmas day to download Ashbury, but now I think I'll make a reward for finishing up with holiday shopping. How's that for a carrot!

And if you're interested in the double trio, check out the show from Sep 1994 (Buenos Aires)-they do a good version of Discipline, and the rawness of the show is fascinating to hear (I believe it was very early in their return to public performance, maybe their first or second show)

That caught my eye, especially from a value perspective. I have the KCCC Broadway release and a boot from the '95 tour. Also the DVD. The rawness does sound interesting. I've looked at the 2000 offerings as well, though with at least one of them they downplay the quality of some of the songs. No one has piped up to review them either.

I thought I read in Robert's diary that a recent soundscape would be available for downloading soon. I'm fairly certain I'd jump on that.

Actually the live site has reminded me that there are 3 or 4 KCCCs that I'd like to pick up. Perhaps sometime in January I'll place an order as the music creats a great deal of heat to blast the winter cold away!

• 5 years later...

Probably most fans get the emails, but just in case King Crimson has put up an October 13, 1995 show double trio from Sendai on dgmlive.com with all proceeds going to the Japanese Red Cross Society. Pricing is the usual $12.95 FLAC/$9.95 mP3.

I've only randomly gotten emails from them lately. I did not get this one, thanks.