Second date

Art Blakey - Mosaic ICPN: 0094633776920

Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair ICPN: 0094633775428

Hank Mobley - Dippin' ICPN: 0094633777323

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat ICPN: 0094633776425

Horace Silver - Silver's Serenade ICPN: 0094633774520

Jimmy Smith - Softly As A Summer Breeze ICPN: 0094633777927

Looks like a neat batch to me.

I saw this thread earlier but I was too emotional to post. My eyes are filled with tears of joy! At long last my fair Gigolo will be released. (I'm trying not to get my hopes up as its release has been announced before.)

Looks like another good group. Tomcat, Swingin' Affair, Joyride, Smokestack, Workout. I've got quite a few of these but you know I loves me some RVGs and will upgrade them all!!

Edited by scottb

I saw this thread earlier but I was too emotional to post. My eyes are filled with tears of joy! At long last my fair Gigolo will be released. (I'm trying not to get my hopes up as its release has been announced before.)

Looks like another good group. Tomcat, Swingin' Affair, Joyride, Smokestack, Workout. I've got quite a few of these but you know I loves me some RVGs and will upgrade them all!!

:lol: I'm taking the glass is half full approach on this one and as far as I know Vincent Wilburn doesn't work for Blue Note so you should be ok.

I saw this thread earlier but I was too emotional to post. My eyes are filled with tears of joy! At long last my fair Gigolo will be released.

Yes, finally! Although I did hear that Vince Wilburn is now advising the Morgan Estate.

Now don't be mean to Scott. :g

Damn, I already have Smokestack. Oh well, guess other folks get a chance to hear it (although I do think that it's one of Hill's weaker sessions, if you could even call a Hill BN "weak"). And Workout--long time comin'.

Still, I hope that the RVGs dig a little deeper into the late-60's next time. A lot of that stuff is prime material--and unavailable for some time. I still want a decent (cheap) master of Total Eclipse.

Hi all!

I must recommend Stanley Joyride - It's, IMO apart from the first songs, great!

However I have a question about the releases.

I first bought the old american release (1990?) which actually had hidden "Extra songs" not shown on the cd's booklet or back listing. I later bought the Japan TOCJ-release for better sound and it did not have these hidden songs (was it one or two - I don't have the CD here now to check). The sound Q was marginally better on the japanese version but I missed the extra music, which was great.

Does anyone know what music this extra music is? Could we expect his in the new RVG?

/Shaft

PS. OT: I must also protest against the copy protection that is present on the EMI BN RVG's in Europe. I never buy any CDs with Copy Protection in case any EMI exec reads this......

Welcome aboard Shaft!!!

The RvG editions in the US are not Copy protected (in the EU they are) and they will include all the extra tracks available. The Japanese usually release the original LP content so without the bonus track (some exceptions were made in the past on JRvG's and the 80's issues).

Welcome aboard Shaft!!!

The RvG editions in the US are not Copy protected (in the EU they are) and they will include all the extra tracks available. The Japanese usually release the original LP content so without the bonus track (some exceptions were made in the past on JRvG's and the 80's issues).

Hi again,

Yes you are perfectly right about the Copy Protection. Guess which side of the Atlantic I make my CD orders :D

I checked my Stanley Joyride and it's a funny one :crazy:

The disc is a cutout from US. CDP 7 461002 (DIDX327)

The two extra song are listed on the CD itself and they are

nr7. "Gravy train"

nr8. "A kettle of fish"

So its not much of a mystery anymore :) Hovever the CD disc itself is manufactured in Japan (so much for mu other japanese purchase of this disc). The music is definately from the same session. The piano is H Hancock for sure and the drums Grady Tate. What a great big band drummer he was!). I'll almost bet a couple of my Mosaic boxes on that....

/Shaft

PS regarding the japanese true following to the LP editions I think that it makes sense in many cases. I have never liked when they put 3-4 alternate takes after another. In this Stanley case it makes sense since they are "new" songs and sooo good and swingin'.

Ahhhhh, at long last: MOSAIC!!!! Didn’t think that would ever get the upgrade!

And GIGOLO!!!! How long have we been waiting for this one????

Man, this batch is gonna break me for sure! The two Dexters (and now I can finally get GO!), the two Silvers, and the aforementioned two...... ahhhhhhhh!!!!