What is the best way to clean LPs?

ASNL77

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

='Parkertown'

I picked up the Orbitrac2 system as well, Patricia. It's actually better to clean the records with this system on a regular table/flat surface instead of on your turntable.

I've been getting decent results, too. :tup

PM me if you need help. :)

Thank you so much. I wondered about the turntable part. It would seem to me that any flat surface would make sense. I never quite understood why I couldn't just set up the whole works on a table, since I am perfectly capable of applying the process manually.

I just may compare notes with you. Thank you again.

Edited by patricia

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I think I have a problem?

My kidneys are hurting. I usually use 1 part whiskey, ice, branch water and then give the whole mess two shots from my Zerostat pistol. But, lately I have been using an extra Zerostat shot. I think that's too much. It doesn't hurt the whiskey any, but I wonder about the effect on my human system from the Zerostat.

Here are the Zerostat instructions:

1) The Zerostat MUST be within 12 inches of the target. (I have to admit that I don't have the patience to bring out the tape measure every time I have a drink).

2) Zerostat should only be fired at locations where inanimate object of static potential should be neutralized.

? What the hell is INANIMATE?

All I do is I trying to neutralize the hangover effect. It's always worked before.

By the way, it seems worse when I play Artie Shaw records.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Oh Boy,

I just came across this ranting by ME from almost 2 years ago. Time haven't changed much EXCEPT I found out what INANIMATE means. It means: "Not endowed with life or spirits."

No wonder the Zerostat didn't work. Here I've been waisting my time trying to neutralize the whiskey effect.

Oh well, time marches on!!

By the way, I still play Artie Shaw records, but I make sure there's no whiskey effect. That way I enjoy Shaw more.

My kidneys are hurting. I usually use 1 part whiskey, ice, branch water and then give the whole mess two shots from my Zerostat pistol. But, lately I have been using an extra Zerostat shot. I think that's too much. It doesn't hurt the whiskey any, but I wonder about the effect on my human system from the Zerostat.

1) The Zerostat MUST be within 12 inches of the target. (I have to admit that I don't have the patience to bring out the tape measure every time I have a drink).

2) Zerostat should only be fired at locations where inanimate object of static potential should be neutralized.

All I do is I trying to neutralize the hangover effect. It's always worked before.

Oh Boy,

I just came across this ranting by ME from almost 2 years ago. Time haven't changed much EXCEPT I found out what INANIMATE means. It means: "Not endowed with life or spirits."

No wonder the Zerostat didn't work. Here I've been waisting my time trying to neutralize the whiskey effect.

By the way, I still play Artie Shaw records, but I make sure there's no whiskey effect. That way I enjoy Shaw more.

Too good for a smilie! Laugh of the day!!!!!

MG

Oh Boy,

Too good for a smilie! Laugh of the day!!!!!

MG

Thanks a lot, Magnificent

Just for you I will hoist a Penderyn Single Malt Welsh Whisky cheers. ZEROSTAT, no, I've packed it away, doesn't do much to my system anyway.

I am going back to my ROOTS, no more SUN RA listening!

Since this is CRAZY OTTO INTERNATIONAL WEEK, I will play CRAZY OTTO LPs all week.

Check 'What LP are you listening to' for further details.

StormP

• 4 weeks later...

The Nitty Gritty is a great, affordable machine. If you're a vinyl junkie, you need one of these.

If I could get myself to stop buying music for a month or two, I'd have one paid for. Someday, someday.....

You should, how much time do you spend buying (on-line or in shops) instead of listening?

Consider this: I bought a RCM five or six month ago, don't remember, since then I always listened to different records in order to clean them and I am far way to have all cleaned. Probably it will takes some years for it. Will I start to buy again when I'll have all cleaned? Don't know, at those time I'll be sure I listened to my records at least twice, when I bought them and when I cleaned them, but do I really "know" them in a couple of listening? I don't think so. Dig in your records is my suggestion...and buy a RCM.

The Nitty Gritty is a great, affordable machine. If you're a vinyl junkie, you need one of these.

If I could get myself to stop buying music for a month or two, I'd have one paid for. Someday, someday.....

You should, how much time do you spend buying (on-line or in shops) instead of listening?

Consider this: I bought a RCM five or six month ago, don't remember, since then I always listened to different records in order to clean them and I am far way to have all cleaned. Probably it will takes some years for it. Will I start to buy again when I'll have all cleaned? Don't know, at those time I'll be sure I listened to my records at least twice, when I bought them and when I cleaned them, but do I really "know" them in a couple of listening? I don't think so. Dig in your records is my suggestion...and buy a RCM.

Good advise and I've been given the same before by others. Gone are the days where I know every record I own really well. That's the problem with disposable income and an obsession. When I could only afford one or two records a month, I knew those records inside and out, all the lyrics, etc. Not anymore. A moratorium makes a lot of sense on several levels.

Good advise and I've been given the same before by others. Gone are the days where I know every record I own really well. That's the problem with disposable income and an obsession. When I could only afford one or two records a month, I knew those records inside and out, all the lyrics, etc. Not anymore. A moratorium makes a lot of sense on several levels.

The entry level Nitty Gritty is only $300. (It's a manual machine, but it cleans just as well as the more expensive automated models). It was worth every penny and I've never regretted it for a second.

Then, there's the cleaning solution. It appears as if the Clearaudio solution is alcohol based, allthough the manufacturer carefully has avoided specifying what the contents are. Despite it is sometimes stated that alcohol should not be used for LP cleaning, many people also seem satisfied with the results.

So, I'd just like to hear if anyone has any comments to:

- Using a micrifibre cloth

- The proportion of alcohol relative to destilled water in the cleaning solution

Standard archival practice is to avoid any cleaning solution containing alcohol,

as it is, among other things, a drying agent. Evaporates quickly, but i'm not sure

that's enough to recommend it. Distilled water and a surfactant (soap) free of any

additives (moisturizers, fragrances, etc) is safer than alcohol..