John Mayer Trio - TRY! live CD

Aftab

B000BJS4SU.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

I remember talk a while back either on here or on the infamous BNBB about John Mayer and his pseudo-blashpemous album title 'Room for Squares' (cuz we know that ther ain't right?)

Anyway, with the release of his new cd with his blues trio - he doesn't have to worry about being denied admission, cuz there's room for this guy.

If you are into old style John Lee Hooker style blues, this probably won't light you up. But if you dig a SRV-Hendrix style vibe, this is a cd you'd enjoy.

It's a totally gutsy move, too - he could've just released another album of his female-friendly pop, but instead he goes out on a limb, puts together a blues trio, and pumps out this live CD.

I'm listenin to it right now - it totally grooves - his guitar tone is sweet-dirty-warm-bluesy, and his voice has a great smokey gutteral quality to it - not hushed and whispery like I've heard before.

I thinks it's pretty cool that the album packaging plays tribute (or borrows from, depending on how you look at it) Cannonball's Something Else - the liners even look Blue Note-esque and its packaged like a JRVG - cool.

Hey, and it's $8.99 until the end of the day at Circuit City - can't beat it.

Give this guy a chance and check it out - it's iPod worthy.

Edited by Aftab

My wife and I have enjoyed Jon Mayer's televised appearances. He can really play his guitar with a great feel, but I've had problems with the appeal of some of his songs. Sounds like this is the kind of recording that I've been waiting for from him.

Never was able to get into SRV; I'm a stone Hendrix and Buddy Guy fan. Jon Mayer plays from that tasty R&B tradition. Thanks, Aftab, for the heads up.