organissimo wants to play in YOUR TOWN

We're looking for hip clubs to play across the country. If you have some cool places to play in your town that you think Organissimo would fit into stylistically (we can play straight jazz clubs or college bars that are a little open or art museums or what-have-you), please list them here. We'd love to come to your town and put on a show!

Thank you!

EDIT: I merged this old topic with Randy's new one since they are basically the same thing. If you feel more comfortable talking about this in private, please do not hesistate to send me a PM or an email. You can find my email address in my signature.

Thank you for your help and support!

Edited by Jim Alfredson

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spontoonious, Free For All, and I --- we all know the guy who does the booking at this club. Great guy (and a good tenor player!), and we all know him pretty well. We'd be glad to put in a good word, or give him a burn of your CD (and make sure he listens to it!), whatever you need!!

BRanimation.gif

The Blue Room is one of the 100 Greatest Jazz Clubs in the World!!

The American Jazz Museum's Blue Room is a museum by day and at night comes to life as a working jazz club. Four nights a week, the Blue Room resonates with the sweet sounds of Kansas City jazz. The Blue Room has been recognized by Downbeat Magazine as one of the top 100 Jazz Club's in the World!! As the only Kansas City club included in the 2004 list, the Blue Room consistently books top name national and international entertainers while it continues to showcase the best of jazz in Kansas City.

Back in the 1930s and '40s, the Blue Room was one of the hottest nightspots in the 18th and Vine District. Located in the Street Hotel, in its heyday, the Blue Room featured some of the biggest names in entertainment. Today that legacy plays on as part of the American Jazz Museum; however, the name is the only thing that remains the same. Designed to resemble a nightclub from the 1930s, the Blue Room is a multifaceted exhibit focusing on the Kansas City connection to the evolution of jazz, featuring a wall of fame exhibiting the images of those local musicians that made the Kansas City style swing.

Each of the nine tables are in fact display cases of rare artifacts from Kansas City's musical heyday when scores of nightclubs were swinging with sounds of live music. While in the Blue Room, you can view “soundies” from a video jukebox that features performances of jazz greats such as Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Fats Waller and John Coltrane.

Although food and smoking are prohibited in an effort to preserve the artifacts, alcoholic beverages are available at the bar. Since its opening in September 1997, the club has built a loyal and ever growing following. Like its predecessor, today's Blue Room is one of the liveliest venues in the world with a strong heritage and a key part of sustaining Kansas City's place as the jazz mecca.

For information about performances and show times, call 816-474-Vine(8463).

The BLUE ROOM is open: Monday & Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Friday 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. Saturday 7:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. $5 Admission on Fridays and Saturdays unless otherwise noted.

StandardPages_03.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

B-3er, I can get your stuff in the hands of Ortleib's (click here) and Bob and Barbara's (click here and here). Let me know!

PJ

Oo, we'd love to play Philly! :) PM me your address please and I'll send you some packages. Again, we're totally cool with booking fees and such.

Are we forming an Organissimo Street Team here? :winky:

In Vermont I would recommend Higher Ground, which is now closed but will be reopening in a new location this fall. They cater to more of the Medeski Martin and Wood jamband crowd, which I could easily see you guys crossing over to.

The big venue for jazz up here is the Flynn Center, which has two rooms. The main room is quite large and books shows by Randy Weston and Dave Holland, for example. They also have a smaller room called Flynnspace that might work for you. I'll be seeing the Willem Breuker Kollektief there in a few weeks. It is a nice sized room, not a lot of shows seem to happen, so I have no idea how difficult they might be to work with.

Good luck! We'd love to see you come up to these parts!

What about The Dakota in St. Paul?? I have some musician friends in the twin-cities who could maybe put in a good word, or who might have some advice. Would be a great venue for you guys, me thinks.

I've only been there once or twice (and that was years ago), but I remember it being a seriously hip place.

Edit: Where's Vibes?? Isn't that his neck of the woods???

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I know of a great club called the Firefly Club in Ann Arbor.......no wait, you've been there. How about the Bird of Paradise? Oh yeah, that's shut down......guess I can't help you!! :lol:

But if you can score something in Montreal, that would be great for you guys. Really cool town and lots of knowledgeable folks who would be in to your sound, so the crowds would be good.

www.thejazzkitchen.com  in Indy is the place to play!  I would be glad to pass your promo on to David Allee, the owner!

I sent one to them last year but I assume it got lost in the stack. If you could put it into his hands that would be awesome. PM me your address and I'll send one out.

PM sent! I'll give it to David personally!

Mark

What about The Dakota in St. Paul?? I have some musician friends in the twin-cities who could maybe put in a good word, or who might have some advice. Would be a great venue for you guys, me thinks.

The Dakota is now in Minneapolis. I look at their website pretty frequently, and while a lot of great acts come through, I've never been there. If Organissimo comes, however, I'll definitely be there. As I understand it, The Dakota is the place to play in the Twin Cities.

I know of a great club called the Firefly Club in Ann Arbor.......no wait, you've been there. How about the Bird of Paradise? Oh yeah, that's shut down......guess I can't help you!! :lol:

I love the Firefly but it's near impossible to get a gig there, especially since the Bird closed down. It's basically the only game in town for a jazz gig that pays anything.

Mark, I will send a package out hopefully tomorrow.

Vibes, does The Dakota only book "national" acts or heavy-hitters?

Vibes, does The Dakota only book "national" acts or heavy-hitters?

Doesn't look that way from the calendar:

http://dakotacooks.com/calendar.htm

Would love it if you guys came to town! I'm a big fan of the CD. :tup

I sent them an email. I will try phoning them soon. Thank you!

I know both a drummer and a bass player, who are both on the current Dakata schedule for a couple dates this month (from the link above). They're both local guys, Chris Bates (bass), and J.T. Bates (drums) -- yes, they're brothers (both in their early 30's by now). I may be able to dig up some contact info for either or both of them too, e-mail or perhaps phone numbers.

Jim, let me know if this is an avenue worth perusing, in terms of their suggestions for getting your promo stuff in front of the right people at The Dakota. I know them well enough that they’d probably be able to make some contacts on your behalf too.

(They were both in a band, The Motion Poets (formerly The Little Big Band), that crashed at my place about a half-a-dozen times in the mid-90’s -- whenever they played in Kansas City. Long story how that happened -- but the short story is that they’re all great guys, and they’d probably go to bat for you.)

I know a couple other guys in the Twin Cities area too, of a similar nature (local guys, great musicians). So just say the word if you have any trouble getting the kind of feedback you’re looking for from The Dakota people. -- Tom