when your big in japan, tonight

big in japan, be tight, big in japan where the eastern sea's so blue

big in japan, alright, pay, then I'll sleep by your side

things are easy when you're big in japan, when you're big in japan

neon on my naked skin

passing silhouettes of strange illuminated mannequins

shall I stay here at the zoo

or should I go and change my point of view for other ugly scenes

you did what you did to me, now it's history I see...

things will happen while they can

I will wait here for my man tonight, it's easy when you're big in japan

There are probably a dozen places you could play in Chicago, but I have 0 contacts at any. I think the very best fit would be the Green Mill, but they have their own B-3 group that plays once or twice a month. (This is the Deep Blue Organ Trio, who really seem to get around.)

Schubas Tavern maybe Shubas

I am attaching an edited list of jazz clubs from the Chicago Reader (dropped Empty Bottle, Hothouse, etc. which tend towards free jazz). Anyone else in the area can chime in as well. Good luck. Hope you make it out here.

Eric

ANDY'S 11 E. Hubbard: Bar and restaurant. Fridays, 5 PM, Eric Schneider/Greg Fishman Quintet; 9 PM, Erwin Helfer & the Chicago Boogie Ensemble. Sundays, 7 PM, and Saturdays, 6 PM, Martin Bany River North Quartet. Mondays and Tuesdays, noon, Tom Hope. Mondays, 5 PM, Chuck Hedges Swingtet; 9 PM, "No Am/Pro Jam" with Art Davis, Don Stille, John Bany, Charlie Braugham. Tuesdays, 5 PM, Bobby Lewis/Jim Ryan Quintet; 9 PM, Men of Note. Wednesdays, noon, Rich Moore & Aaron Krueger; 5 PM, John Brumbach Quintet; 9 PM, Henry Johnson Organ Express. Thursdays, noon, Bernard Alcorn; 5 PM, Russ Phillips & the Windy City All-Stars; 9 PM, Mike Smith Quintet. 312-642-6805.

CALIFORNIA CLIPPER 1002 N. California: Sat 9/4, 10 PM, Kimberly Gordon, Deep Blue Organ Trio. 773-384-2547.

FILTER 1865 N. Milwaukee: Tuesdays, 8 PM, David Boykin with Nicole Mitchell, Josh Abrams, Jim Baker, and Mike Reed. 773-227-4850.

FIREPLACE INN 1448 N. Wells: Thursdays, 7 PM, J.J. & the Jazz Masters (no cover). 312-664-5264.

FUNKY BUDDHA LOUNGE 728 W. Grand: DJs spin 9 PM-2 AM nightly (until 3 AM Saturdays). Sundays, Zzaje performs during an open mike for vocalists, spoken word, MCs, and poetry. 312-666-1695.

GREEN DOLPHIN STREET 2200 N. Ashland: Sat 9/4, 9:30 PM, Detour. Tuesdays, 6:30 PM, Jose Valdes Trio (no cover); 9:30 PM, Edgar Marroquin, Luis Rivera & Carlos Latalladi spin mambo, salsa, cha-cha, bachata, and merengue. Wednesdays, 9 PM, Bill Porter Orchestra with Rich Fudoli. Thursdays, 6:30 PM, Vince Willis. Sat 9/11, 9:30 PM, Nicholas Barron's Hyperactive. 773-395-0066.

GREEN MILL 4802 N. Broadway: Fridays, 5-8 PM, Ben Rudolph (no cover). Fri 9/3, 9 PM, Ryan Cohan Quartet. Fridays, 1:30-4 AM, Green Mill Quartet (no cover). Sat 9/4, 8 PM, Steve Evans Quartet. Saturdays, midnight-5 AM, Sabertooth Organ Quartet. Sun 9/5, 1 PM, Bloom School of Jazz (no cover); 11 PM, Kimberly Gordon Organ Quartet. Tuesdays, 9 PM, Deep Blue Organ Trio. Wed 9/8, 9 PM, John McLean Septet. Thursdays, 9 PM, Alan Gresik's Swing Shift Orchestra. Fri 9/10, 9 PM, Chevere. Sat 9/11, 8 PM, Frank Catalano Quartet. Sun 9/12, 11 PM, Kimberly Gordon Trio. 773-878-5552.

HOUSTON'S 616 N. Rush: Restaurant with music after 5:30 PM. Fridays and Mondays, JoAnn Daugherty Trio. Tuesdays, Bob Dogan, Joe Adamik & Paul Martin. 312-649-1121.

MARTYRS' 3855 N. Lincoln: Tue 9/7, 8:30 PM, Alfonso Ponticelli & Swing Gitan. 773-404-9494.

96TH FLOOR LOUNGE 96th floor, John Hancock Center, 875 N. Michigan: Music at 7:30 PM. Sun 9/5 and Mon 9/6, Bill Peterson & Brian Sandstrom. Tuesdays, Larry Luchowski. Wednesdays, Paulinho Garcia. Thursdays, Dennis Luxion. Sun 9/12, Professor John Duo. 312-787-9596.

O'BRIEN'S 1528 N. Wells: Sundays and Wednesdays, 7 PM, Denise LaGrassa. 312-787-3131.

PETE MILLER'S STEAKHOUSE 1557 Sherman, Evanston: Restaurant with music at 8:30 PM; no cover. Sat 9/4, Nicholas Barron's Hyperactive. Mondays, Lawrence Hobgood Trio. Tuesdays, Ron Perrillo Trio. Wednesdays, Bobby Broom Trio. Fri 9/10 and Sat 9/11, Deep Blue Organ Trio. 847-328-0399.

POPS FOR CHAMPAGNE 2934 N. Sheffield: Music at 9 PM Fridays and Saturdays, 8:30 PM Sundays through Thursdays. Fri 9/3 and Sat 9/4, Frank Russell Trio. Sundays, Russell Alan Rowe Trio (no cover). Mondays, Alison Ruble Duo (no cover). Tuesdays, Typhanie Monique & Neal Alger (no cover). Wednesdays, Andy Distel Trio. Thursdays, Ryan Cohan Trio. Fri 9/10, Typhanie Monique Quartet. Sat 9/11, Corky McClerkin Quartet. 773-472-1000.

ROSA'S LOUNGE 3420 W. Armitage: Fri 9/3, 9:30 PM, Dee Alexander (see Critic's Choice). Sat 9/4, 10 PM, Malachi Thompson's Freebop Band with Maggie Brown & Billy Branch. 773-342-0452.

SIGNATURE ROOM 95th floor, John Hancock Center, 875 N. Michigan: Music at 6:30 PM. Fridays, and Sun 9/12, Bill Peterson & Rich Fudoli. Sat 9/4, Dennis Luxion & Brian Sandstrom. Sun 9/5, 11 AM-2 PM, Bill Peterson; 6:30 PM, Bill Peterson & Brian Sandstrom. Sat 9/11, Bill Peterson & Kelly Sill. 312-787-9596.

UNDERGROUND WONDER BAR 10 E. Walton: Mondays, 1 AM, Mark Madsen. Tuesdays, 10:30 PM, Lorna Boston Band hosts the pro jam. Thursdays, 10:30 PM, Luiz Ewerling & A Cor do Brasil; 1:30 AM, Vince Willis. 312-266-7761.

Re: The Magic Bag

The problem we have is that very few of these type of venues are willing to take a chance on an unknown act without a reputable agent or agency.. We need to focus as well on getting an agency to rep for us..

It's often futile for the musician(s) of a band to try and do the booking & networking biz themselves. Too often the people we're dealing with assume that we must not be very together if we're doing our own legwork. The reality is that many in this biz won't even return a call or an e-mail to a band or artist without representation.

Edited by randissimo

Phoenix absolutely sucks for hip clubs, oh we've got clubs, but jackshit for good jazz.

Some that may be willing to listen....

The Jet Lag Lounge

7908 E. Chaparral Road Ste 102 Scottsdale AZ

(480) 941-9144

A League of Their Own.

(602) 265-2354

By the way guys, the dickhead that puts on the Paradise Valley Jazz Party has never responded to me.

I was wrong.  The Magic Bag is still operational but caters mainly to national acts.  I was thinking of the Music Menu, which is indeed defunct.

I believe the Derek Trucks Band is playing the Magic Bag this month

Edited by GregK

Well, NYC has too many to list here. You may want to go here. Hot House Every jazz club in the New York City area is listed here. These are just some of the bigger names. I would love to see you guys live in NYC. I would try Smoke and 55 Bar and the Zinc Bar. They are more Liberal and tend to try new acts. (not to say you guys are new).

55 BAR

BIRDLAND

THE BLUE NOTE

CAJUN

FAT CAT

IRIDIUM

THE JAZZ STANDARD

JAZZ GALLERY

LENOX LOUNGE

JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER

SHELLY'S

SMOKE

SUGAR BAR

SUGAR HILL BISTRO

SWEET RHYTHM

SWING 46

THE TRIAD

THE VILLAGE VANGUARD

ZINC BAR

I would give the Firefly another shot, she has started up Tuesday nights again (they had been closed on Tuesday’s), calling it Trio Tuesday (in loving memory). I would think your group would fit in perfectly at the Firefly, Susan somewhat changes up her schedule every month.

http://www.fireflyclub.com/calendar.htm

• 1 year later...

Toronto

The Mod Club - nice place. Reminds me of St. Andews Hall in Greektown with the balcony rim above the main floor, but hipper. I've seen Wilco and Bob Mould there. Here's the website.

Joey D plays there all the time when he's in town. Lonnie Smith Trio too.

Edited by Robert J