organissimo wants to play in YOUR TOWN

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sal:

Yes the Canopy Club is still going and it too would be a great venue for Organissimo. Come to think of it - so would The High Dive and Zorba's - so at least 4 places for potential Organissimo performances in Champaign-Urbana - probably a 4-6 hour drive from Michigan! The area is really active these days with the jazz program of studies kicking up here at U of Il. Now possible to catch live jazz 3-5 nights a week! National acts come through too.

That's great to hear!! Wish it had been like that when I was there (1995-2000), but better late than never!

I had a weird dream last night where organissimo was playing this punk-rock festival in DC. They had to wear make-up and eyeliner.

At one point, Jim was singing this song making fun of Paris Hilton, and she walked in the club!

That's when I woke up.

Bertrand.

They wouldn't have to "force" Jim. ;)

Hey Sal:

Yes the Canopy Club is still going and it too would be a great venue for Organissimo. Come to think of it - so would The High Dive and Zorba's - so at least 4 places for potential Organissimo performances in Champaign-Urbana - probably a 4-6 hour drive from Michigan! The area is really active these days with the jazz program of studies kicking up here at U of Il. Now possible to catch live jazz 3-5 nights a week! National acts come through too.

That's great to hear!! Wish it had been like that when I was there (1995-2000), but better late than never!

Aurora,, maybe we could do a couple of tunes on "Wayne's World" .. That would be excellent !! :rolleyes:

Hey Sal:

Aurora,, maybe we could do a couple of tunes on "Wayne's World" .. That would be excellent !! :rolleyes:

Hey, I've got a basement with a drumset! Now, we just need Tia Carrere! :wub:

• 1 year later...

There's a place just north of NYC in Piermont, NY called the Turning Point. They have traditionally hosted rock, blues and folk musicians -- good nationally-known acts -- but they have recently been adding jazz to their lineup. It's a GREAT club. Small, intimate, and really cool. http://www.turningpointcafe.com/

I think you'd like it, and that they would like you. If you ever do play there, you can stay at my place! At the very least, you should come for dinner. Incidentally, I LOVE the new CD. I mean it! Just great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In St Louis, Jazz at the Bistro would be your ideal spot

And in Kansas City, it's either my jazz series ("Jazz & Beyond" - at a great, centrally located Unitarian church) -- or else the Blue Room, or maybe Jardine's.

I'm almost positive I can pay you guys better than any club in town (unless you've got a promoter that can work wonders), and I can also get you free room and probably some board too. The Rooster house is a perpetual disaster, but there are other church folks who I'm SURE I could get to put you up. Interesting people too -- people you can hang with, who I promise won't creep you out. ^_^ You can cuss and drink around Unitarians, most of us don't mind a bit. Hell, most of us cuss and drink just like everybody else. :lol:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Need to second GloriousBlues' rec. for Dizzy's. (San Diego) Chuck is as straight as the day is long, and I could probably help out with local (jazz) radio promotion. Only thing...............Dizzy's books a few months in advance, so plan your contact accordingly.

What are the odds of a left coast swing, guys? I'm too lazy to scan the entire thread to check for what's been tossed out.

Need to second GloriousBlues' rec. for Dizzy's. (San Diego) Chuck is as straight as the day is long, and I could probably help out with local (jazz) radio promotion. Only thing...............Dizzy's books a few months in advance, so plan your contact accordingly.

What are the odds of a left coast swing, guys? I'm too lazy to scan the entire thread to check for what's been tossed out.

We'd love to play the west coast.. Just not much developing in that direction for us at this time.. We'll need plenty of gigs because it would be an expensive trip... Right now Chicago is about as far west as we can afford to go..

There's for sure plenty of places to play up and down the California coast, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.."

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/californ.htm

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/arizona.htm

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/nevada.htm

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/oregon.htm

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/wash.htm

Edited by randissimo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

Hi Randy!

I just checked out the list of Washington clubs on that link. It's way outdated. Several of them are long out-of-business. Although I'm sure that chewy would disagree, I'd vote for Tula's in Seattle as the most likely possibility. Would love to see you guys out here...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Bill Barton

Hi Randy!

I just checked out the list of Washington clubs on that link. It's way outdated. Several of them are long out-of-business. Although I'm sure that chewy would disagree, I'd vote for Tula's in Seattle as the most likely possibility. Would love to see you guys out here...

As far as larger venues go, The Triple Door is well worth checking out. With the continued success of Groovadelphia it might be a possibility. They book a wide variety of music including jazz, primarily major touring acts. So, it's not a "jazz club" per se.

The Triple Door