Cannonball Adderley

I'll admit right up front that I'm a bit of a Cannonball neophyte, with only about 7 or 8 cd's of his music in my collection. But I sure enjoy what I do have to listen to. Live in San Francisco has to be one of the greatest live dates ever put out. What a rollicking good time it must have been to be there. I just love the spirit of that music, and of the man. And how about his solo on Love For Sale with the Miles Davis quintet. Amazing.

There's an interesting article on Hal Galper's webpage about his time with Cannonball. He talks about how hard that band worked on stage, as well as how huge the beat was. (halgalper.com). The downbeat article is also nicely written.

I'd like to hear from anyone who wants to write about their favorite albums or tracks, or especially if anyone got to see him live. Long Live Cannonball!

I saw Cannon live once - in Montclair NJ around 1971 in a jazz club called the Sterington House. Nat, George Duke, Victor Gaskin (? - am I remembering right?), Louis Hayes. All I can say is Cannon was a master. WHAT A MUSICIAN! WHAT A PLAYER! Incredible sound...flawless chops..breathtaking improvisations.. I could just go on and on with the superlatives but I think you guys get it.

Edited by Harold_Z

Being an old dude, i saw Cannon a number of times. I think the first time when he was with Miles. Also anytime the sextet with Yusef played a gig in Detroit.

Besides being one of the greatest alto players ever IMO he had a way of connecting with a audience that was remarkable. He made the evening just plain fun, which i think hurt him with alot of the "critics". He could work a room, and the people just loved him.

Some of my favorite sides are Live At The Lighthouse, Nippon Soul and At The Jazz Workshop Revisited. Oh hell, you can't go wrong with any of his albums.

Seems strange, doesn't it, that because Cannonball had that quality of fun in his music, it might have lessened his reputation as a serious musician in the minds of some critics. Music is supposed to encompass the full range of human experience. And fun is a critical part of life, for sure. Genuine laughter is often the response to the sudden recognition of a revealed truth. I think it ties into that whole mythology that our culture has about artists being morose and somber and dressing in all black. If someone is festive and lively and happy, while also producing great art, I might tend to think they figured out the secrets to living a good life!

I suspect tha many of us here were alive and cognizant when Ball passed. Surely it wasn't just me who felt it to be a heavier than usual blow, not so much to the music as to the overall culture? Has time proven that gut feeling accurate?

I myself think it has.

I'm fascinated by what he said on his live dates almost as much as what he played!

Given their current holdings, Fantasy could make an "essential" (and probably best-selling!) catalog item by putting out a compilation of announcements/introductions by Cannonball Adderly & Duke Ellington.

I may yet do it myself and offer it as a freebie. But don't hold your breath, not just yet. Let me get my kids graduamated first... ;)

I suspect tha many of us here were alive and cognizant when Ball passed. Surely it wasn't just me who felt it to be a heavier than usual blow, not so much to the music as to the overall culture? Has time proven that gut feeling accurate?

I myself think it has.

It was a heavy blow for sure. Cannon hung on for a while after the stroke - I forget how long - a couple of weeks maybe. I was hoping and praying he'd make it.

Cannon was one of the "special" people.