Ornette Coleman: The Love Revolution

DTMX

I know that this recording is made up of two Ornette bootlegs from 1968 performances in Rome and Milano, but this new release is being described as 'remastered'. Is the sound quality of this release any good?

Thanking you in advance...

ornettecolemanloverevolution6u.jpg

The Love Revolution

Complete 1968 Italian Tour (2 CD Set)

Ornette Coleman Quartet: Ornette Coleman, David Izenzon, Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell

REFERENCE: 69224

LABEL: Gambit

Includes the complete Italian Concerts: Rome, February 1968 and Milan, February 1968

The material collected for this 2-CD set corresponds to the February 1968 European tour, featuring Coleman's Quartet with his regular unusual group inclufing David Izenzon and Charlie Haden on bass, and Ed Blackwell on drums.

The first CD includes the Rome concert, with extended versions of four original compositions, including a fantastic interpretation of the already popular "Lonely Woman." The second CD contains the Milan's Teatro Lirico performances, with three original compositions.

The sum of this material on one edition, makes this an essential release, capturing a crucial period of the career of an artist that without a doubt, remains the ultimate contemporary musician of the jazz vanguard.

CD1

1. Lonely Woman

2. Monsieur Le Prince

3. Forgotten Children

4. Buddha Blues

CD2

1. Tutti

2. Three Wisemen and the Saint

3. New York

Total time: 44:52 + 55:41 min.

I'm halfway though the 1st disk, it sounds fine to me. It just came in the mail today.

But where did that cheesy album title come from?

1969?

Whoa--hold the phone. I've heard some of these sessions, and the playing is excellent... but have these concerts finally received some decent mastering?

I never heard these as boots.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a copy of this. It has some great music I've never heard before. The two basses -- Charlie Haden and David Izenson -- are really great!!

I have a question for anyone who has this. I know Disc 2 has a kind "bootleg" sound but my copy has a distictive "scratch" sound about eight minutes into the 2nd tune "Three Wisemen and the Saint" which continues until almost the end of the track. Does anyone else's copy have this "scratchy" sound on Disc 2, Track 2 or is mine defective?

Thanks in advance!!

I just picked up a copy of this. It has some great music I've never heard before. The two basses -- Charlie Haden and David Izenson -- are really great!!

I have a question for anyone who has this. I know Disc 2 has a kind "bootleg" sound but my copy has a distictive "scratch" sound about eight minutes into the 2nd tune "Three Wisemen and the Saint" which continues until almost the end of the track. Does anyone else's copy have this "scratchy" sound on Disc 2, Track 2 or is mine defective?

Thanks in advance!!

I don't hear a "scratch" on my copy.

It could be that, or it could be taken directly from an LP. Maybe jlhoots' copy was from a cleaner LP! :)

I would like to get this music - never got around to buying the vinyl, which has a pretty silly looking cover if you ask me.

The Ornette and Denardo photo is from the same session as Ornette at Twelve, right?

It could be that, or it could be taken directly from an LP. Maybe jlhoots' copy was from a cleaner LP! :)

I would like to get this music - never got around to buying the vinyl, which has a pretty silly looking cover if you ask me.

The Ornette and Denardo photo is from the same session as Ornette at Twelve, right?

I'm not positive, but I'd bet on it. The way the layout looks, the designers probably just slapped some "groovy" looking print on a rare photo/outtake.

• 6 months later...

Is there another title to the song they call Tutti? (1st cut on disc 2.) It's very familiar to me and I think I've got a performance of it on another cd. But I don't see that title on any of my cds and I haven't taken to the time yet to listen to every cut on 10 cds.

Is there another title to the song they call Tutti? (1st cut on disc 2.) It's very familiar to me and I think I've got a performance of it on another cd. But I don't see that title on any of my cds and I haven't taken to the time yet to listen to every cut on 10 cds.

It's in the same 'family' of Ornette tunes that includes 'Theme from a Symphony' (i.e., 'The Good Life' from Skies of America), 'Dancing in Your Head,' and 'School Work.' It always varies somewhat, but the common thread is that insistent eight-note, diatonic line at the beginning (repeated ad infinitum--Ornette seems pretty loose with it). It's probably his trademark theme.

It's in the same 'family' of Ornette tunes that includes 'Theme from a Symphony' (i.e., 'The Good Life' from Skies of America), 'Dancing in Your Head,' and 'School Work.' It always varies somewhat, but the common thread is that insistent eight-note, diatonic line at the beginning (repeated ad infinitum--Ornette seems pretty loose with it). It's probably his trademark theme.

Ornette got a lot of mileage of that ditty, but the version on the Italian boot ("Tutti") is spectacular. Too bad about the awful sound.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disc One sounds excellent for a boot, Disc Two doesn't sound as good.

No one's talked about Ornette's shenai playing on "Buddha Blues" yet. That is some far out shiite. Ornette really gets a handle on it around the 8 minute mark, and the groove with Blackwell is incredible.

What's the difference between a shenai, shakuhachi, and tarogato? They all seem to have similar timbres.

What's the difference between a shenai, shakuhachi, and tarogato? They all seem to have similar timbres.

Plenty. A Shenai is a double reed wind instrument like an oboe. A Shakuhachi is a flute. A Tarogato is a single reed instrument, sort of like a clarinet. They all sound pretty different to me. :ph34r:

Thanks for the clarification, 7/4. You're right — the shakuhachi is considerably different in timbre. I have one recording of various Japanese musicians playing that instrument, and it's beautiful. I typed "shakuhachi," but I think I meant musette.

Thanks for the clarification, 7/4. You're right — the shakuhachi is considerably different in timbre. I have one recording of various Japanese musicians playing that instrument, and it's beautiful. I typed "shakuhachi," but I think I meant musette.

I'm pretty sure a musette is also a double reed instrument.

I'm pretty sure a musette is also a double reed instrument.

Yes it is, though there is also a French bagpipe that shares the same name. Captain Beefheart and Dewey Redman are among those who played the double-reeded musette. Ornette has also been credited with playing musette. I wonder if in fact he played only one or the other.