Jimi Hendrix birthday on WKCR Jazz Profiles

7/4

Curious about how many of the participants here were listening to this music as it happened. Were you alive? If you were alive, were you paying attention to the music?

Hindsight is horse shit. :P

I sure was Chuck. I have older sisters so I was listening to WABC or whatever playing the 1st Experence album singles when I was 7-8 or 9. Born in 1960.

Just made it. ;)

I bought Band of Gypsies when it first came out. My older brother had Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland. I remember seeing Monterey Pop when it was released, and also seeing Hendrix appearing on Dick Cavett (I don't recall if he also appeared on the Smothers Brothers, which also used to have rock bands perform).

Curious about how many of the participants here were listening to this music as it happened. Were you alive? If you were alive, were you paying attention to the music?

Hindsight is horse shit. :P

FWIW, I was born the same day Hendrix recorded his studio version of The Star Spangled Banner --> 18-Mar-1969. (BTW, his studio version is pretty lame, IMHO -- with WAY too much overdubbing of guitar part, upon guitar part, upon guitar part.)

I think I discovered him when I was roughly a freshman in high school (circa 1984). Went through a HUGE Hendrix phase, including the purchase of well over 30 LP's of bootleg live material, studio outtakes, unreleased studio stuff, etc... Got hold of and dubbed every piece of video I could find too - which came to about 6 or 7 hours of material (as I recall).

Sold off all the bootlegs late in my college years (probably my junior year) -- not so much cuz I didn't dig Hendrix any more - but my focus shifted on to other things. But I've picked up nearly all of the official releases over the years, so I still have a fairly large collection.

I had heard about Jimi Hendrix's early impact in the UK, but a most memorable and life-changing event was when I picked up "Are You Experienced" soon after its US release, brought it home, and placed it on my stereo phonograph. Those sounds went right to my DNA.

I saw Jimi perform at the Shrine Auditorium, at the Hollywood Bowl, at Woodstock, and twice at the Forum...

FWIW, I was born the same day Hendrix recorded his studio version of The Star Spangled Banner --> 18-Mar-1969. (BTW, his studio version is pretty lame, IMHO -- with WAY too much overdubbing of guitar part, upon guitar part, upon guitar part.)

I always thought it was quite beautiful. I should give it a spin soon.

I certainly wasn't alive when Jimi was recording, but the first cassette that I ever bought with my own money was an album called 'Band of Gypsies 2'. The tape is worn out now, I was eleven years old then, and haven't come across another copy since. That music was more 'alive' than anything else I was hearing at that time, in 1988.

I didn't realize his birthday was yesterday. We had the Experience box set on shuffle on Saturday night. Then we listened to about four more Hendrix albums! Good timing.