FYI: The Complete CBS Recordings of Eddie Condon set.......

Craig23

Definitely the most listenable and consistently enjoyable Mosaic I own. I can put on any random part of any disc (except possibly the last session) regardless of my mood and hear some great music played with extreme joy and enthusiasm. Once I start listening it's hard to turn off. Fortunately many (most?) of the albums comprising this box were reissued on CD after the box went OOP, but if you like LPs this is your best bet. :tup

I bought this set as a Christmas present for my dad, who is a huge fan of the Condonites AND vinyl - he's going to be stoked! I sneaked a quick listen to one of the sides and sonically the LPs are superior to the CD version of the set I have by quite a large margin (and the CDs ain't bad).

So is it bad form to hand someone a vinyl set as a gift and then say, in the same breath as "Merry Christmas," "Can I make CD-Rs?" :D

:rofl:

I was just thinking what I would do would be say "Here's your vinyl set, merry Xmas, and hey. . . here's a set of cdrs so you can listen to it other places!"

I have the cd set, and I LOVE it. I think everything about the set . . . the music. .. the presentation. . . the sound. . . the BOOKLET. . . is great.

a few quick questions

are there many vocals on this set ? not my favourite

what's the overall flavour of the set, trad or mainstream swing.? I associate Ed Hall and Bud Freeman as pretty relaxed swing stylists than trad revivalists.

Pity there's no sound clips

any help?

I don't seem able to get too much of this stuff! :D

That's a good one, that Hodes/McPartland.

Yeah..I'm with you on both counts. I wish they would discover some kind of treasure trove of unreleased Condon recordings...or tapes from the various incarnations of his clubs or Nick's for that matter.

I couldn't quite spring for this set, mostly because I can't spend the $$, but the discussion/samples piqued my interest enough to order 3 of the Collector's Choice doubles from my latest Amazon indie-du-jour, alphacraze (caiman's quality has declined a bit lately). About 30 bucks for the lot.

That'll be good enough for me.

And you guys will still get the satisfaction of once again causing me to spend more money. :huh:

I enjoy this set a lot too. Edmond Hall and George Wettling are two of the somewhat unsung heros here (for me).

Cutty Cutshall.

I couldn't quite spring for this set, mostly because I can't spend the $$, but the discussion/samples piqued my interest enough to order 3 of the Collector's Choice doubles from my latest Amazon indie-du-jour, alphacraze (caiman's quality has declined a bit lately). About 30 bucks for the lot.

That'll be good enough for me.

And you guys will still get the satisfaction of once again causing me to spend more money. :huh:

The only really good session you'll be missing will be the Newport live date. It was one side of a Coumbia lp (the other side was Louis Armstrong - GOOD LP ! ) The band is terrific on that set. Wild Bill, Lou McGarity, Bud Freeman, Peanuts Hucko front line with Leonard Gaskin, Wettling and Gene Schroeder swingin' nicely behind them. Wild Bill is in very good shape on this one.

• 14 years later...