2006 Concord/Fantasy releases

GA Russell

Whoopee! Endless repackaging of the old warhorses. Just what the jazz afficianado is after. I mean, is it possible to have too many "So and So Plays for Lovers" in your collection?

I wish Mosaic would approach Concord about leasing the portions of the Fantasy catalog that will never see the light of day. Some darn fine Selects could eminate from such an arrangement.

Up over and out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoopee! Endless repackaging of the old warhorses. Just what the jazz afficianado is after

I can't agree with you here, Dave. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I have had the five LPs for years, since the days before CDs. I've always wanted to hear the songs in the order in which they were recorded.

Sure, the music has been available in that form in the Miles Prestige box; but since I already have most of that material in LP form, I've never been tempted to spring for that box. So this is my chance.

• 1 month later...

March 21:

Booker T & The MG's - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Eddie Floyd - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Johnnie Taylor - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Little Milton - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Rance Allen - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Carla Thomas - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Albert King - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Otis Redding - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Rufus Thomas - Stax Profiles (Stax)

March 28:

Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane - Complete Monk and Coltrane (2CD)

I received an email today stating that the Stax Profiles will come out April 25, and the Monk/Coltrane not till June.

The first batch of Prestige RVG's come out on the 21st of this month. As per usual, most of the chosen titles have been reissued ad nauseum...but there are a couple nice surprises that I would be willing to upgrade if the sound is improved.

March 21st:

Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano (nice to see they picked something other than Groovy, plus it's a great session)

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Relaxes (Another nice choice)

then all the usual suspects...

Relaxin' With Miles, Lush Life, Django, Quiet Kenny, Saxophone Colossus, Boss Tenor, Out There, Burrell & Coltrane

Hopefully more adventurous choices to come....

The first batch of Prestige RVG's come out on the 21st of this month. As per usual, most of the chosen titles have been reissued ad nauseum...but there are a couple nice surprises that I would be willing to upgrade if the sound is improved.

March 21st:

Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano (nice to see they picked something other than Groovy, plus it's a great session)

It is a nice session but I bought the K2 that was released in 2004. Seems like a very short amount of time to reissue it again as a Rudy.

Eric Dolphy's "Out There" sounds great.

The Ammons has his tenor sliding in and out of echo that almost sounds like he's sticking it back into a Chess microphone then, as he plays softer than the force needed to trigger the echo, slides back to the present. Trippin that.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

I have received this email from Concord/Fantasy:

"Specialty Records, another [along with Stax] vintage r&b label with a glorious past, will mark its 60th anniversary this year when six SPECIALTY PROFILES discs are released in August. Founded in Hollywood in 1946 by Art Rupe, Specialty bridged the gap between swing and rock 'n' roll with jump blues practitioners like Roy Milton and hitmakers such as Lloyd Price, whose "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (the label's first New Orleans session) was the top r&b record of 1952. While recording for Specialty, Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers turned the gospel world on its ear, and Percy Mayfield, the Poet of the Blues, emerged as that idiom's greatest songwriter. Larry Williams broke through with singles such as "Dizzy, Miss Lizzy," "Bony Moronie," and "Short Fat Fannie" that would later be covered by the Beatles, the Who, George Jones, and many others.

The Specialty work of these artists--and that of bluesman John Lee Hooker--will be Profiled for 8/12 release."

I'm looking forward to some of these, particularly Percy Mayfield and Roy Milton.

Did you see the list price on these RVG CDs?? $17.99! No way! Their SACDs of these titles were barely above that list and there is a lot of extra manufacturing costs there. What the hell is RVG charging for his services these anyway? Big mistake on Concord's part if they think many of us are going to re-buy these.

BTW, check out the "look" of these new Prestige RVG CDs, particularly the back. It's a Blue Note design! Same font, same layout. It was weird when I first picked up "Saxophone Colussus"... I thought it was a new Blue Note RVG. Then my memory clicked and I was really surprised.

Kevin

I picked up "Red Garland's Piano" at my local shop, under $9.00 Nice package. They use the original Prestige label on the CD, there are new notes, it sounds fine... But, as has been noted, mostly the series has the same titles that have been re-issued and updated plenty of times, maybe even more than the Blue Notes. Too bad, considering the wealth of material available to Concord

Guest akanalog

yeah let's get on with some new stuff here!

i think we've pretty well covered all this material.

if the plan was to buy the labels and just rehash the "classics" to wring more money out of them, concord are scum.

• 15 years later...

I miss the days when Fantasy would reissue titles from the Fantasy Catalog...and all the other labels they ended up owning.

The good news is that they did uberbuttloads of it, so it's in the wild, if you want it and can't find it, look harder and don't settle.

The bad news is that they didn't get all of it, so...same thing.

Still wondering about those contemporary classical records on Contemporary (no pun intended) but most of the other stuff...it's out thereif you know about it and want it, and all things considered, there's not that much that didn't get out legit at some point.

I am thankful for this!

Fantasy was doing some really nice box sets (Miles 1st Quintet, the three Trane boxes, Evans VV, Stitt, etc.) when they sold to Concord.  Was sorry to see those stop.  They did manage to get vast majority of their most desirable catalog titles out on CD. 

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

The bad news is that they didn't get all of it, so ... same thing.

I wish they would have plumbed the Milestone catalog a bit more. This one could have been reissued:

R-4023257-1352669038-9321.jpeg.jpg

It's available on Amazon as an mp3, but Ran Blake himself posted a review to let fans know that it was a lo-fi needle drop, done without his knowledge.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:17 AM, felser said:

Especially given, for instance, the utter obscurities they re-issued from the Debut catalog.   

True. Not taking anything away from those Debut releases, but there may have been Milestone sessions ... worthier of release. Ah well. We want it all! :P