2006 Concord/Fantasy releases

GA Russell

I received an email today regarding what Concord has scheduled for the next few months. I'm excited about a number of these. Some of what they plan are:

NEW RELEASES:

February 7:

Chick Corea - The Ultimate Adventure (Stretch) - An exotic blend of passionate flamenco melodies, North African and Middle Eastern grooves and adventurous improvisation, Corea’s latest score was inspired by L. Ron Hubbard’s romantic novel based upon the ancient tales of “The Arabian Nights.” The CD features Frank Gambale, Hubert Laws, Airto Moreira, and Steve Gadd, among others.

February 14:

Sergio Mendes - Timeless (Concord Records / Starbuck Hear Music) - featuring Justin Timberlake, John Legend, Stevie Wonder, Black Eyed Peas, Indie.Aire, Jill Scott, Eryka Badu and others, putting a new urban spin on such classis Mendes tracks as "Mas Que Nada," "The Frog," and "The Look of Love."

Doris Day - The Love Album (Feinery) - These lost recordings from the 1960s present the legendary Doris Day in her vocal prime, singing a selection of her personal favorites, including "Are You Lonesome Tonight," "A Faded Summer Love," "For All We Know," "Street Of Dreams" and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart."

February 28:

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Shirley Horn (The Jazz Alliance)

March 21:

Joey DeFrancesco - TITLE TBD (Concord Jazz) - straight up jazz recording with Bobby Hutchinson and others

March 28:

Karrin Allyson - Footprints (Concord Jazz) - Allyson adds lyrics to classic jazz instrumental tracks from John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins and others. Jon Hendricks and Nancy King are the featured guest artists on this bold new CD.

BACK CATALOGUE:

January 10:

Tony Bennett - Sings For Lovers (Concord Records)

Sarah Vaughan - Sings For Lovers (Pablo)

Stan Getz - Plays For Lovers (Concord Jazz)

Dave Brubeck - Plays For Lovers (Fantasy)

Miles Davis - Plays For Lovers (Prestige)

John Coltrane - Plays For Lovers (Prestige)

Chet Baker - Plays For Lovers (Prestige)

Bill Evans - Plays For Lovers (Prestige)

February 14:

Red Garland - At the Prelude: The Complete Sessions (Prestige) (2CD)

March 21:

Booker T & The MG's - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Eddie Floyd - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Johnnie Taylor - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Little Milton - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Rance Allen - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Carla Thomas - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Albert King - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Otis Redding - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Rufus Thomas - Stax Profiles (Stax)

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane - Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane (Rudy Van Gelder Series) - (Prestige/New Jazz)

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

Eric Dolphy - Out There (RVG Series) - (Prestige/New Jazz)

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Relaxes (RVG Series) - (Prestige/New Jazz)

John Coltrane - Lush Life (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

Miles Davis - Relaxing with the Miles Davis Quintet (RVG Series) - (Prestige)

March 28:

Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane - Complete Monk and Coltrane (2CD)

Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders - Best of (Fantasy)

April 4:

Miles Davis Quintet featuring John Coltrane - The Legendary Quintet Sessions (Prestige) (3CD/DVD)

VA - Hef's Favorites (Playboy Jazz)

Among the new albums, I'm looking forward to hearing the Chick Corea, Doris Day (!), Joey D and Karryn Allyson. I've really come to like Karryn Allyson, although I have one album of hers that I don't think is very good. Doris Day recorded for Columbia, and I've never liked their 60s pop - the arrangements are too vanilla; but I'm curious as to what they have found. I'm a little skeptical of the Chick Corea. From what I've read in the past, his works that have been in someway linked to scientology and Hubbard have all been mediocre.

There are quite a few from the back catalogue that I will want, starting with the Miles Quintet box. In 2003 Fantasy issued a series of Plays For Lovers CDs, and now they are putting out a second batch. I will want the Tony Bennett and Bill Evans for sure.

What do you think they have of Monk and Trane that will fill two CDs? I'm only aware of the one album for Riverside/Jazzland.

From the RVGs, I think I'll order the MJQ's Django.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance, the "complete" Red Garland At The Prelude was the one that caught my eye (think they swiped it from Disconforme? :P ). Of course, there are so many boots and box sets of Doris Day material already in circulation, I'm not sure how much interest there'll be in that one. :rolleyes:

March 28:

Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane - Complete Monk and Coltrane (2CD)

What do you think they have of Monk and Trane that will fill two CDs? I'm only aware of the one album for Riverside/Jazzland.

4/16/57 - Coltrane, Monk, Wilbur Ware

Monk's Mood

6/25/57 - Ray Copeland, Gigi Gryce, Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Monk, Wilbur Ware, Art Blakey

Crepescule With Nellie (2 takes)

Blues For Tomorrow

6/26/57 - Ray Copeland, Gigi Gryce, Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Monk, Wilbur Ware, Art Blakey

Off Minor (2 takes)

Abide With Me

Epistrophy (2 takes)

Well, You Needn't (2 takes)

7/57 - Coltrane, Monk, Wilbur Ware, Shadow Wilson

Ruby My Dear

Nutty

Trinkle Tinkle

Original LP's - Thelonious Himself (Riverside), Monk's Music (Riverside), Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane (Jazzland).

The Riverside box contains a few additional takes not on original LP's, but probably on CD reissues.

In other words, it is highly unlikely that this box will contain anything new. It looks like Concord will continue to repackage most saleable items in the Fantasy the catalog in new configurations.

Edited by Stereojack

The Red Garland will be a must have. I'm intrigued about the Miles set as well. It seems that Concord is doing the Mosaic Select route -- small box sets that are reasonably priced (a la Bill Evans set out right now). While there's nothing else as exciting on the list, I realize this is the best way for them to reintroduce the huge back catalogue to the public. We'll have to wait in regards to unreissued albums.

One thing I'm curious about... the Garland will be 2 CD's, but I believe the Japanese version was 3 CD's (? correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe there were 22 tracks altogether, and fwiw, 18 of those have already been released on US CD's ("At The Prelude, Vol. 1"; and "Stretching Out"). Just four tracks were "Japan only", afaik.

So, I'm wondering what will be included on the new 2 disc set...

Guest akanalog

is there a chance concord will let people like water records issue some of the good stuff which never be seeing the light of day (jerry hahn, jack dejohnette, azar lawrence, etc) through them?

One thing I'm curious about... the Garland will be 2 CD's, but I believe the Japanese version was 3 CD's (? correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe there were 22 tracks altogether, and fwiw, 18 of those have already been released on US CD's ("At The Prelude, Vol. 1"; and "Stretching Out"). Just four tracks were "Japan only", afaik.

So, I'm wondering what will be included on the new 2 disc set...

Will also be looking forward to that Red Garland at the Prelude material. The Japanese set had 3CD and 23 tracks.

Hope the US release will have all the material. The steep cost of the Japanese import had me passing that one.

The Japanese set

I think it will fit on 2 CDs (the previous US CD reissue Red Garland at the Prelude, Vol. 1 had 13 tracks and 76 minutes playing time, Stretching Out featured six tracks from the show which make up around 45 minutes of that CD. This leaves four tracks, which mustn't be over 38 minutes together). I don't have this material myself, but my speculation is that the Japanese released it on three CDs because Garland's Prelude appearance consisted of three sets - one set per CD.

Edited by Daniel A

6/25/57 - Ray Copeland, Gigi Gryce, Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Monk, Wilbur Ware, Art Blakey

Blues For Tomorrow

Jack, a rare error. Monk does not play on Blues For Tomorrow.

Yeah, I know - doesn't play on Abide With Me, either, but if I were producing the set, I'd include both tracks. :cool:

I'll pass on all of these, well, except maybe the Hawk RVG - and concentrate instead on previous Fantasy releases that may be deleted anytime in the future. There's so much Phil Woods, Zoot Sims, Milt Jackson, Basie, Hampton Hawes etc stuff that I haven't checked out...