2006 Concord/Fantasy releases

GA Russell

is there a chance concord will let people like water records issue some of the good stuff which never be seeing the light of day (jerry hahn, jack dejohnette, azar lawrence, etc) through them?

I've got the Azar Lawrence LP 'Summer Solstice' and it's nothing to write home about. Fairly typical of a lot of what was getting recorded at that time but hardly of great interest or import thirty years later. I've never heard his other two which also came out on Prestige. His recordings with Tyner are strong.

Edited by mailman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will fit on 2 CDs (the previous US CD reissue Red Garland at the Prelude, Vol. 1 had 13 tracks and 76 minutes playing time, Stretching Out featured six tracks from the show which make up around 45 minutes of that CD. This leaves four tracks, which mustn't be over 38 minutes together). I don't have this material myself, but my speculation is that the Japanese released it on three CDs because Garland's Prelude appearance consisted of three sets - one set per CD.

Daniel A,I believe your speculation is true.

Guest akanalog

is there a chance concord will let people like water records issue some of the good stuff which never be seeing the light of day (jerry hahn, jack dejohnette, azar lawrence, etc) through them?

I've got the Azar Lawrence LP 'Summer Solstice' and it's nothing to write home about. Fairly typical of a lot of what was getting recorded at that time but hardly of great interest or import thirty years later. I've never heard his other two which also came out on Prestige. His recordings with Tyner are strong.

well i like summer solstice! especially that song highway or whatever.

I'll pass on all of these, well, except maybe the Hawk RVG - and concentrate instead on previous Fantasy releases that may be deleted anytime in the future. There's so much Phil Woods, Zoot Sims, Milt Jackson, Basie, Hampton Hawes etc stuff that I haven't checked out...

I'm with LAL - get the Fantasy stuff before those buggers at Concord wipe it all out. As for seeing any more old Fantasy stuff emerge under the tender auspices of Concord; forget it!

MG

well i like summer solstice! especially that song highway or whatever.

'Bridge Into the New Age', the first one, was the great Azar Lawrence album. 'Summer Solstice' was good, 'People Moving' was his commercial move, to me a disaster. He never recorded again as a leader, and indeed I never heard of him again. The best documents of his playing are on McCoy Tyner's 'Enlightenment' and 'Atlantis', live 2LP sets recorded at Montreux '73 and Keystone Korner '74. 'Enlightenment' is especially amazing.

Isn't Sonny Fortune on "Enlightenment?" Whoever, it's a strong album.

Fortune was on 'Sahara' (coming to an AOTW near you) and 'Song For My Lady'. Lawrence was on 'Enlightnement' and 'Atlantis'. After that, horn players became superfluous for Tyner, even normally really strong ones like George Adams and Gary Bartz. Shaw is very strong on 'Bridge Into the New Age'.

Edited by felser

It looks like Concord will continue to repackage most saleable items in the Fantasy the catalog in new configurations.

I was afraid so - although I think Fantasy should have done that a long time ago instead of reissuing the music in the scattered fashion of the old LPs. Completing sessions is always a good thing, IMHO.

Has there ever been a cd release of the complete December 24, 1954 Miles date with Monk? One that includes the fasle starts and arguements?

Medjuck, I believe that Disc 3 of the Complete Prestige Monk box fits the bill.

IIRC the "false starts and arguments" have never been released. At least they're not in that box. But all the music is there, that was spread over 3 different LPs and their CD counterparts.

'Bridge Into the New Age', the first one, was the great Azar Lawrence album. 'Summer Solstice' was good, 'People Moving' was his commercial move, to me a disaster. He never recorded again as a leader, and indeed I never heard of him again. The best documents of his playing are on McCoy Tyner's 'Enlightenment' and 'Atlantis', live 2LP sets recorded at Montreux '73 and Keystone Korner '74. 'Enlightenment' is especially amazing.

Azar Lawrence is living in L.A.

DSC08136.sized.JPG

I see news of him every once in a while on Leroy Downs' Blog, The JazzCat

Wallace033.jpg

Edited by marcello

IIRC the "false starts and arguments" have never been released. At least they're not in that box. But all the music is there, that was spread over 3 different LPs and their CD counterparts.

The intro and arguement (as on the original lp) is on disc 3 of the Monk/Prestige box.

Oh the pleasures of an aging brain ..... of course it's there - they had left it off the Miles Davis box set ... whatever that means.

The intro and arguement (as on the original lp) is on disc 3 of the Monk/Prestige box.

Oh the pleasures of an aging brain ..... of course it's there - they had left it off the Miles Davis box set ... whatever that means.

Are you guys just talking about the false start and Miles' scolding of the others on the first take of "The Man I Love," which also appears on "Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants" CDs? Or is there additional "argument" from that session on Disc 3 of the Monk Prestige box?

Are you guys just talking about the false start and Miles' scolding of the others on the first take of "The Man I Love," which also appears on "Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants" CDs? Or is there additional "argument" from that session on Disc 3 of the Monk Prestige box?

And what were the original 3 Lps? I only remember 2. Unless you're referring to the 10 inch releases which I don't know much about. (I think Jack Chambers writes about The Man I Love as one side of a 10 inch.) BTW The argument was with Monk. He was pissed because Miles told him not to comp behind him.

Edited by medjuck

BTW The argument was with Monk. He was pissed because Miles told him not to comp behind him.

True, but the only discussion/argument from this session that I've ever actually heard is after the false start on the first take of "The Man I Love," and I was wondering if there's any other recorded discussion that was released on, e.g., the Monk Prestige Box.

• 1 month later...