Going to see the McCoy Tyner trio Jan. 22nd

Parkertown

I picked up a pair of tickets to see this show at Denver's Paramount Theater...always an excellent venue for shows. The wife and I will be in the freakin' 3rd row!!! :excited:

Anyone seen and/or know what he's playing like these days? I'm psyched...a mix of standards and originals, perhaps?

Any insight would be much appreciated... :cool:

Edited by Parkertown

I picked up a pair of tickets to see this show at Denver's Paramount Theater...always an excellent venue for shows. The wife and I will be in the freakin' 3rd row!!! :excited:

Anyone seen and/or know what he's playing like these days? I'm psyched...a mix of standards and originals, perhaps?

My understanding from an email I received from Lloyd McNeill is that Eric Gravatt is back with Tyner on drums and playing "better than ever", which is an incredible thing to ponder.

I was somewhat disappointed with McCoy both times I've seen him (trio & quintet). Worth seeing, but maybe not more than once. YMMV.

Guy

I've seen him a dozen or so times (in trio (Avery Sharpe with Louis Hayes or Aaron Scott), quartet (Gary Bartz, John Lee and Wilby Fletcher), and quintet (the previous group, plus John Blake), but unfortunately not in the last twelve years or so.

Each time was absolutely great. I wouldn't miss him, if I had the chance. He's one of the greatest musicians I've seen live, in my 30 years of concertgoing experiences.

Edited by kh1958

Have seen him twice in the last 13 months. First was 11/04 in Hollywood, FL with Stanley Clarke and found him somewhat disappointing. The second time was in Chicago about 6 weeks ago with Charnett Moffett and Eric Gravatt, and they were AMAZING. Played a few of his older songs as well as a Ellington tune.

If it's the same band, you're in for a treat.

McCoy does a two-week stint every year at Yoshi's in January. One week is with a trio and the other week is with a quintet or quartet. This year I saw him with Terence Blanchard and it was quite fine. Charnett Moffett played one week, I believe with Blanchard. Ravi Coltrane was supposed to play but was sick that night I went so Blanchard had a chance to really stretch. Moffett played with him the previous year also. The trio was with Billy Cobham and we all talked about that for weeks, it was just incredible. I enjoy McCoy's playing very much and he seems to be playing much stronger in the past couple years or so. It's interesting to see the different shades of his performing depending on who he is playing with. Hope you enjoy him.