Roland Kirk rankings

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

There's some nice footage that can be ordered at sendemitschnitt@swr.de (www.swr.de). Cost EUR 25 (incl. shipping within Germany). Or if anyone is interested in a trade, please send a message.

This "Jazz gehört und gesehen" episode also features Georg Wein and his Newport All Stars (with Pee Wee Russell, Ruby Braff, Vic Dickenson, Jimmy Woode, Buzzy Drooten).

I don't know if they can provide NTSC copies.

April 19, 1961 Stadthalle, Baden-Baden (D)

Wednesday

Roland Kirk ts, mz, str, fl, whistle; René Urtreger p; Pierre

Michelot b; Kenny Clarke dr

a. Broadway 2:15 ARD (D) TV broadcast

b. Summertime 3:02 --

c. Drumsky 1:22 --

d. Little Fugue 1:55 --

Notes: d. RK only

This Jazz series runs about 40 minutes. RK appears in the

middle of the show with George Wein and his Newport All Stars

performing first and last.

Issues: Recorded and broadcast as part of series "JAZZ GEHÖRT UND GESEHEN" #23

Announced and produced by Joachim-Ernst Berendt for Südwestfunk Baden-Baden, (D).

Edited by rockefeller center

• 11 months later...

As leader:

RIP, RIG AND PANIC

WEE THREE KINGS

THE INFLATED TEAR

Honorable mention: DOMINO

As sideman:

OH YEAH (MINGUS)

LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL (MINGUS)

OUT OF THE AFTERNOON (HAYNES)

honorable mention: THE JAZZ CORPS UNDER THE DIRECTION OF TOMMY PELTIER FEATURING ROLAND KIRK (PACIFIC JAZZ)

My personal favorites:

Introducing Roland Kirk - Already an intimidating force, Ira Sullivan is a great frontline partner as well...

Rip, Rig & Panic - Perfection...no other word works...

Blacknuss - Worth if for Kirk's reading of "Ain't No Sunshine" alone...but the rest of the album is killer as well.

Blacknuss - Worth if for Kirk's reading of "Ain't No Sunshine" alone...but the rest of the album is killer as well.

I didn't care for this session at all. Much of it seemed to come down to a lot of screeching. You can't deny the intense emotional play on some of the songs, but in the end, I found the disc wasn't essential.

I didn't care for this session at all. Much of it seemed to come down to a lot of screeching. You can't deny the intense emotional play on some of the songs, but in the end, I found the disc wasn't essential.

That is strange assessment, I find. The album uses then comtemporary pop tunes turning them into Great Black Music. It had been done before with Broadway tunes and Beatles ditties, but Kirk turns to Motown &co to come up with something much more vibrant and original, producing a true fusion of jazz soul-music. Like Coltrane did with My Favorite Things, Kirk makes you forget the original.

In my book, that makes this a pretty important album in jazz's history. and fegh if it ain't a big PAR-TAYYY!!!! as well

• 3 weeks later...

That is strange assessment, I find. The album uses then comtemporary pop tunes turning them into Great Black Music. It had been done before with Broadway tunes and Beatles ditties, but Kirk turns to Motown &co to come up with something much more vibrant and original, producing a true fusion of jazz soul-music. Like Coltrane did with My Favorite Things, Kirk makes you forget the original.

In my book, that makes this a pretty important album in jazz's history. and fegh if it ain't a big PAR-TAYYY!!!! as well

Let's see what Barak thinks about it. He's got my old copy...

;)

• 4 years later...

This is the coolest cite today I dare to say:

The "3-Sided Dream" album was a "concept album," somewhat akin to the Beatles' "psychedelic" phase in the incorporation of "found" or environmental sounds and tape loops, tapes being played backwards, etc. Snippets of Billie Holiday singing are also heard briefly. The album even confronts the rise of influence of computers in society, as Rahsaan threatens to pull the plug on the machine trying to tell him what to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Kirk

The album even confronts the rise of influence of computers in society, as Rahsaan threatens to pull the plug on the machine trying to tell him what to do.

Yet again, Kirk was way ahead of his time. And if ever there was a musician who is missed these days, it is RRK.

Will dig out 'Inflated Tear' a bit later on the vinyl. Great album that one - and he covers so many bases in that tour-de-force.