Roland Kirk rankings

I recently bought Kirk's "We Free Kings," and it blows me away. What a superb session! I've owned Kirk compilations in the past and this was my first purchase of a single session.

Outstanding in every way. Do I hear Trane's influence bigtime here?

Could those of you who know Kirk's stuff very well name your top three or top five Kirk sessions? I want to know where to go from here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to pick only three (and I'm sure I'll change my mind in a coupla minutes), but here goes:

RIP, RIG & PANIC - can't go wrong w/Jaki Byard & Elvin

THE INFLATED TEAR - the title tune moves me endlessly

VOLUNTEERED SLAVERY - worth if for "Say A Little Prayer" alone

Trust you have the Mercury Complete Recordings box. It includes many great sessions.

If you don't, this should be your next purchase.

Non-Mercury sessions from Kirk I love are:

- Volunteered Slavery (Atlantic) part of which was recorded at the 1968 Newport Festival,

- Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1972 (Rhino),

- Roland Kirk/Al Hibbler 'Meeting of the Times' (Atlantic).

But there are plenty more superb Kirks available.

And don't overlook the Roy Haynes quartet date 'Out of the Afternoon' (Impulse).

Very inspired Kirk there.

Number one would be the whole Mercury set, I gues...

Some of the outstanding albums for Mercury were "We Free Kings", "Rip, Rig & Panic", the Copenhagen live sessions, the album with Benny Golson arrangements...

Then I am very very fond of the 1960 "Introducing" album (Chess, reissued in GRP's "Chessmates"-series).

That one has the versatile Ira Sullivan on trumpet and tenor. Their battle on "Soul Station" (a Kirk original, not the Mobley tune of the same name) is beautiful.

The very first of Kirk's recordings (Early Roots, Bethlehem, rec. 1956) is more an R'n'B kind of thing, but as the latest addition to my Kirk holdings, I'm growing quite fond of it, too.

My introduction to Kirk was via the nice 32jazz 3CD set "Dog years in the fourth ring". That one has 2 discs of unreleased live material from the sixties and seventies, and on disc 3 it includes one of the mrarest Kirk items, his solo disc "Natural Black Inventions: Root Strata". Highly recommended!

His other Atlantic albums (reissued by Rhino, 32jazz and Collectables) and the late Warner stuff (also on 32) does not grab me as much, but "The Inflated Tear" and "Volunteered Slavery" would be the exceptions.

"I, Eye, Aye" is very good, too. I second that. Generally, though, I find listening pleasure in any of the Atlantic albums ("Rahsaan, Rahsaan", "Left and Right etc).

His one Verve album "Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith" (on CD with "Rip, Rig & Panic") and his one Prestige album "Kirk's Work" with Jack McDuff are very good, too.

ubu

'The Inflated Tear' - Kirk's all-round best and most balanced date, IMO

'The Jaki Byard Experience' on OJC - this one is absolutely incendiary !

'Rip, Rig and Panic' - difficult to choose between this and 'Tear'. Another brilliant date.

I'm also very fond of 'Slightly Latin' and 'Meets the Benny Golson Orchestra' on the (essential) Mercury box. Both of these are somewhat under-rated.

:rsmile:

Rip, Rig and Panic

Out Of The Afternoon

I Talk With The Spirits

The Spirits one is a good follow-up to Horace Parlan's BN sessions. His solo on "Trees" is a masterpiece.

I also like "Here Comes The Whistleman", which came out as one of those Verve CDs with a three-letter abbreviation. Kirk's work with Jaki Byard is also outstanding.

Here comes the Whistleman was a Label M issue, not Verve.

BLACKNUSS. Actually, I haven't heard the whole record. But if the rest of it is like "Old Rugged Cross"...damn. It don't get much funkier than that.

Warning: it may not jive with your political persuasions.

Whistleman was on Label M, but the one I've got is an Atlantic Original Sound digipack release. I think the Label M one had additional material?

Conn: have fun! And try to get that 32jazz Dog Years in the Fourth Ring box while it's still around (hope it is, don't know for sure, though)

ubu

There is a Mercury set on e-bay. I don't know what it normally goes for but I don't remember seeing it used very often.

I won the bidding on the item but not without a fight. I paid $100 for it.

There are a few other Mercury sets available through CD Now, which seems to have joined with Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up. My pocket is lighter but I'm better for it, I'm sure.

Rahsaan is great. My favorite album, first and foremost, has to be Rip, Rig, & Panic. Please Don't You Cry Now, Beautiful Edith is also a very nice bonus to buying this CD. Elvin Jones, Richard Davis, and Jaki Byard.

I Talk With The Spirits is also way up there. Rahsaan concentrates solely on flutes, playing with a very nice rhythm section of Horace Parlan, Michael Henning, and Walter Perkins!

The Jaki Byard Experience is evidence of the relationship that Byard and Rahsaan had. Musically, they seem to have the ability to play in any style and the ability together to create bridges between styles. This is a very strong recording that shows a lot of personality from all involved. If I had heard this album before Rip, Rig, & Panic, this would probably be my favorite. Matter of fact, I would recommend this be the next RRK album you get!

I just got "Rip, Rig, & Panic"/Please Don't you Cry Now, Beautiful Edith," and after playing it a couple of times, I'm more impressed with "Beautiful Edith." Great session! This cd will become superfuous to me once the box set arrives (Unless "Beautiful Edith" is not included in the set.) May have an extra one here guys...anyone interested?