Jazz for a Sunny Winter Day

Guy Berger

First, apologies if this topic has already been done... I'll delete it and post there if I missed it.

Second, this struck me as a harder "mood" than "rainy afternoon" or "summer day" or "beautiful spring day" or "hot summer night" or whatever. One of those days when it's beautiful & sunny outside, maybe some snow on the ground, but also cold. Or, depending on where you live, really frickin' cold.

So let's have your suggestions (and make a special effort to pick non-ECMs). Favorites?

Charles Lloyd, Canto, Hyperion with Higgins, The Water Is Wide

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (not sure why)

non-jazz

Jean Sibelius -- Symphonies 5-7 (4 if it's more overcast and/or really cold)

Guy

I don't know why, but Hyperion with Higgins strikes me as more of a winter night sort of disc. Evening comes early this time of year...

This is a hard one. So...

Mal Waldron: The Quest (although it's kinda late autumn, too)

Dewey Redman: Musics

Joe Henderson: Page One

Grant Green: Street of Dreams

Roscoe Mitchell: Sound (a lot of AACM stuff, actually)

I don't know why. I've spent some fine winter days with these, but I listen to them the whole year 'round. Frankly, I'm more of a "throw anything on" by day, "listen closely" by night sorta guy.

Don't know why, but on sunny winter days I like to turn to Eric Dolphy's Prestige recordings. (Someone already mentioned Waldron's THE QUEST, I now see.) I've sometimes worked my way through the whole box over several January or February days.

Really, Dolphy makes for excellent atmosphere. There's just something so evocative about that tone, the lyricism, the intelligence. Wistful and robust, all at once--just like winter.

On REALLY cold, sunny Winter days, West African music rather does it for me; Bembeya Jazz National and Lemzo Diamono in particular. It also makes me want to go there...

MG

On REALLY cold, sunny Winter days, West African music rather does it for me; Bembeya Jazz National and Lemzo Diamono in particular. It also makes me want to go there...

MG

Don't know why, but on sunny winter days I like to turn to Eric Dolphy's Prestige recordings. (Someone already mentioned Waldron's THE QUEST, I now see.) I've sometimes worked my way through the whole box over several January or February days.

Really, Dolphy makes for excellent atmosphere. There's just something so evocative about that tone, the lyricism, the intelligence. Wistful and robust, all at once--just like winter.

This made me think of Andrew Hill's Point of Departure, which is another "cold sunny winter day" CD featuring Dolphy.

Guy

My new Collectors' Choice catalogue lists a new Dean Martin reissue called A Winter Romance.

Two of the songs are Christmas, and the other ten are just about winter and snow. I have a couple of tracks from compilations, and they sound good, if Dino is your cup of tea.

My own recommendation is Julie London. I usually open up one of her albums each January 1, and listen to it throughout the winter.

Those "brittle" trumpeters - Bill Dixon, Alan Shorter, Jacques Coursil - always seem to bleed "sunny, cold winter's day" for me. Unfortunately, now that I have relocated to Texas for the next two or so years, it seems unlikely that I'll be pulling those records out nearly as often as I did in Minneapolis.

ECM always springs to mind on days like this, for obvious reasons.

I'm going with Keith Jarrett's Belonging. Sunny and chilly, simultaneously.

Often like a little classical on those kinds of days. Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 3 is always good.