What is your all-time top sax ballad?

mikeweil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one kind of thing, though it's hard to say exactly what that thing is -- actual soul-baring torment, a dramatized remembrance of same, or both -- Serge Chaloff's "Body and Soul" from "Boston Blow-Up" (it's on the Chaloff Mosaic set). The confusion (in my mind at least) arises because it's pretty clearly a set piece in some respects, particularly the coda, but the emotional story-telling seems very raw and in the moment. Whatever, I don't know of anything else like it.

Thanks for the many responses in such a short time! Very nice choices. After the first 50 posts I'll count them and post a list, so far Dexter Gordon and I guess I'll hang my tears out to dry top the list. Puzzles me Lester Young isn't getting more votes .....

Puzzles me Lester Young isn't getting more votes .....

Also ran for me would be "This years kisses" by Lester from 1956 , really emotional but non languid performance, touches me every time.

From a much more recent record "Art/ " from Graphic by Bill McHenry has a similar effect.

There are so many: Lester, Ammons, Art Pepper, etc. were all masters. But my vote goes to an unlikely choice, King Curtis' "All the Way" from one of those otherwise rote soul jazz things on Prestige. No really, check it out...

Yeah, that one kills! It was used in a movie, right?

Check it out indeed! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Strange that there's been no mention (unless I've missed it) of Ben Webster or Johnny Hodges. Maybe there's too much to chose from, and the standard in both cases is so high. For Webster, how about "Have You met Miss Jones" with Tatum? For Hodges, maybe "Passion Flower"?

Certainly a bounty of riches when it comes to Hodges and Webster.

For me: Hodges-Day Dream or Blood Count (both are on the Strayhorn tribute album)

Webster--Time after Time (from Webster and Associates)

I don't have the Webster/Tatum, album...big hole in my collection.

• 4 weeks later...

Call me a dittohead, but I would heartily endorse Kevin's recommendation of Deep in a Dream. Masterful sax and piano work from Ike Quebec and Sonny Clark. Only one word describes it...sublime.

Here are a couple of other personal favorites. J.R. Montrose's version of Lover Man from the Bainbridge release "In Action Live with the Joe Abodeely Trio". Also, Stan Getz's rendition of Stairway to the Stars from the Dragon recording "Stockholm Sessions". I've described his sound on this one as liquid. It literally floats, I kid you not. Hands down the best Getz ballad I know.

Up over and out.