R.I.P. Beatrice Rivers

Lazaro Vega

They were married for 56 years according to the article. That's some serious commitment right there. 56 years!

How do you continue to function after you lose someone you've been with that long? I'm hoping he has lots of close friends and family to support him.

BTW, I'd say that the tune "Beatrice" has easily become a jazz standard by now, which is a "Hall Of Fame" kind of achievement for a tune. Also it's an achievement that's not as easy to come by these days.

Sangrey (or any other players/listeners), do you agree with that?

56 friggin' years. Wow! :tup

Rest in peace, Mrs. Rivers.

Back in '74 when I lived in NYC and frequented Studio Rivbea often, I got to know Sam and Beatrice and was fortunate to host them at my apartment in Brooklyn Heights one memorable Saturday afternoon. She was indeed a lovely lady and a very devoted wife to Sam. My heart goes out to Sam. RIP indeed.

BTW, I'd say that the tune "Beatrice" has easily become a jazz standard by now, which is a "Hall Of Fame" kind of achievement for a tune. Also it's an achievement that's not as easy to come by these days.

Sangrey (or any other players/listeners), do you agree with that?

56 friggin' years. Wow! :tup

Rest in peace, Mrs. Rivers.

Yes. With all of that.

Anyone have any pictures of her that they could share??

Don't know that I've ever seen any personally, unless I'm forgetting a key image from one of his more obscure LP's.

A few years ago WIRE magazine did an article on Sam Rivers; there was a picture of Sam & Beatrice with the article. I'll look when I get home. That's the only picture I've seen of her. At both of the Sam Rivers concerts I've attended he mentioned his wife (and 50+ years of marriage) - always got a big round of applause.

I must have 10 versions of Beatrice - put that song on an album and I'll buy it, unheard.

I just called Will's Pub in Orlando. Sam played last week, and will play again tomorrow, so I will most likely be seeing him (I'm flying in to Disney for a few days).

I was thinking of starting an Organissimo condolence thread that I could print out and bring to him, unless you guys think it is a bad idea (corny/tasteless, whatever). Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Bertrand.