***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It also really depends on what Porcupine Tree album you happened to hear, because they've gone through several stylistic shifts over the years. One song or one album doesn't really give a good description of what they are about.

Tool just plain sucks.

• 1 year later...

It's a great album - I've known it since it came out in early '73. I'll certainly get the double CD set as the album was always a bit flat in sound (I saw them 6 months before it came out and again the month it appeared, and was a bit disappointed that it lacked the power of those gigs) and I'm hoping for a bit more presence.

But 15 CDs of different takes?...box set craziness to my mind.

The one annoying thing about these 40th Anniversary sets is Fripp's constant need to fiddle. On 'Red' there was a gorgeous, snakey solo on 'Mati Kudesi' that was removed on the 80s CD reissue. On the 30th Anniversary edition the original was restored as an extra track; but it's nowhere to be seen (or heard) on the new version. I suspect Fripp decided the solo was out of character with the 80s band but I'm afraid I hear it the way of the original and miss the solo.

There's also an odd bit of extraction at the start of the long 'Lizard' track. New listeners would never notice it but when you've lived with the album for over 40 years it is just a bit annoying.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Heaven help me, but I'm actually interested in ordering the Lark's Tongues In Aspic 40th Anniversary Limited Edition 15 cd set. Do the King Crimson fans here think it's worth the money?

I have bought everything, albums, downloads, reissues, but I stopped at the 40th anniversary sets. I mean, I remember just buying the 30th anniversary reissues, which sound great and are packaged nicely. I'm passing on this box too. A few downloads from this era are a better value.

But 15 CDs of different takes?...box set craziness to my mind.

9 of the CDs are live recordings most of which are dodgy quality. Some have been Club releases, a few were DGM downloads and some are boots that they've tried to improve. I stopped at the Zoom Club release myself. As far as the price goes compared to other sets the price per pound isn't too bad. I'm still leaning towards the 2 disc set. I sold off the 30th Anniversary discs some time ago as I've greatly enjoyed the previous 40th releases because of the DVD-As, Wilson remixes and extras.

I'm still leaning towards the 2 disc set. I sold off the 30th Anniversary discs some time ago as I've greatly enjoyed the previous 40th releases because of the DVD-As, Wilson remixes and extras.

This is what I'm doing as well, but I haven't dumped the individual old ones until the new ones are available. This series isn't going to be over until we reach the 50th anniversary at the rate they're going though.

I've been extremely happy with the 40th cd/dvda sets.

The Great Deceiver is good enough for me.

That's a wonderful collection. Along with a few of the complete concerts - some in very good sound - that can be downloaded from DGM, you get a very good representation of the live band (though there's not much with Muir who was only around for a few months).

I'm still leaning towards the 2 disc set. I sold off the 30th Anniversary discs some time ago as I've greatly enjoyed the previous 40th releases because of the DVD-As, Wilson remixes and extras.

This is the exact reason why I DIDN'T bother with the 40th anniversary set. I have no way to play DVD-A, have little to no use for any video after the first viewing, and have even less use for remixes. The extras would have been nice to include on the 30th ann. sets, though.

The Great Deceiver is good enough for me. I don't need expensive, padded box sets.

No Muir here, which is part of the point of the LTiA deluxe set.

Personally, this album's so important to me that buying the box is a no-brainer.

I don't quite understand the complaints of having to buy stuff over again. This is a jazz board, after all, filled with obsessives who are willing to buy multiple copies of KoB, or whatever other bones the industry is willing to throw at us! All the while completely ignoring more obscure (yet worthy) recordings that many of us have REALLY expressed a desire to hear.

This is what I'm doing as well, but I haven't dumped the individual old ones until the new ones are available. This series isn't going to be over until we reach the 50th anniversary at the rate they're going though.

It was a bold move of faith on my part! I haven't been that way since. I still have my Burnt Weenie Ryko for instance. :lol:

The Great Deceiver is good enough for me. I don't need expensive, padded box sets.

No Muir here, which is part of the point of the LTiA deluxe set.

Personally, this album's so important to me that buying the box is a no-brainer.

I don't quite understand the complaints of having to buy stuff over again. This is a jazz board, after all, filled with obsessives who are willing to buy multiple copies of KoB, or whatever other bones the industry is willing to throw at us! All the while completely ignoring more obscure (yet worthy) recordings that many of us have REALLY expressed a desire to hear.

Hey, go for it! It's just that I'd like to save some money for my own retirement. I don't need to finance Fripp's portfolio. Besides, there's not enough time to listen to all of this stuff.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was at the October 29th, 1981 show at the Metro in Boston

My recollection is that they played most of Discipline, Red and played Larks Tongues in Aspic pt II twice, the second time as an encore

And No Pussyfooting played for quite some time before the show, which started later than advertised. At the time this was my favorite band in the world

Fwiw I will buy the above 20 CD box as to my ears the 1973-74 band remains one of greatest bands this world has ever known

Steve,

Clarification please?

Not sure how much you really like the band; are they one of the greatest, or one of the *greatest*? :g

Both!!

But maybe not as GREAT as the Brotzmann Tentet when Drake was in the band - when the band played charts!!

Then again Joe Maneri with Mat Maneri, Cecil McBee and Randy Peterson in NYC in 1998,,,,,, well u know me,,,,

Edited by Steve Reynolds