***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

Rumours of Fripp's retirement (expressed in print by himself) seem to have been premature.

From a recent e-mail from Discipline:

"...King Crimson is in motion. This is a very different reformation to what has gone before: seven players, four English and three American, with three drummers. The Seven-Headed Beast of Crim is in Go! mode." (Robert Fripp, Diary entry, www.dgmlive.com, September 6, 2013)

Maybe he's not playing. Maybe Mr. Wilson is aboard.

Mentioned here too:

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/fripp-announces-king-crimson-are-back/

And more specifics here:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/26/king-crimson-reform-robert-fripp

"[The idea was for] a conventional [King Crimson] Back Line – Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto – reconfigured as the Front Line, with Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and myself as Back Line."
Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of KC drummers, I finally received the DVD of the 21st Century Schizoid Band Concert in Japan from Netflix, and was overjoyed to hear the great work of Michael Giles for a full concert.

As KC fanatics know, this concert re-united the original band with the exception of Fripp and Lake.

IMHO, the highlight of the set was a Giles original from his 1978 LP entitled "Progress", which featured Giles playing a complicated. polyrhythmic accompaniment to a deceptively slow tempo that I had to listen to twice to fully comprehend.

Though the concert was recorded back in the early 2000s, "Progress" can stand up to anything current in jazz, fusion or prog., and should be a standard in any of those genres.

Mel Collins proves that he came a long, long way in his sax and flute playing since the early days of KC, and really shines on this and "Formentura Lady".

McDonald proves that he was the compositional genius behind "ITCOTCK" and does his usual impeccable job on flute and keyboards.

A great touch was featuring McDonald and Collins on baritone and tenor saxes rather than taking the easy way out with synths handling everything, an approach that has IMHO fucked music beyond redemption.

Unfortunately, the disc had some type of electronic blocking format in it that prevented me from duping it on to videotape on my DVD/VCR Recorder, but would it be possible to dupe such a disc onto another disc in my computer?

Edited by sgcim

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

10734162_10153395426727519_5751266445605

King Crimson Live At The Orpheum is now available for pre-order at Inner Knot (America) and Burning Shed (Euope). King Crimson has performed, recorded & released material in its own inimitable manner for the past 46 years. As the band enters its 47th year of operation in 2015, the occasion is marked with the first release culled from the band’s Autumn 2014 US tour. Comprised of 41 minutes of material by the newest incarnation of the band fronted by the line-up’s formidable three drummer setup, Live At The Orpheum has been mixed from 24bit multi-track performances recorded at the band’s two concerts at the Los Angeles venue. Featuring a mixture of new & old King Crimson material – some being performed live for the first time – the album makes an ideal recorded debut for the septet.

For those who travelled from all over the world to see the US shows, it’s an opportunity to relive the power, precision & sheer musicality of the concerts. For those who couldn’t attend but wanted to, it’s an opportunity to hear why the concerts generated such excitement. For any fan of the band, recent or long-term, it’s an essential purchase. With further concerts being planned for 2015, Live At The Orpheum is the perfect start for a new year of King Crimson music.
Track listing:
CD (16/44.1 stereo), DVD-A (24/96 Hi-Res stereo)
1 Walk On: Monk Morph Chamber Music
2 One More Red Nightmare
3 Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
4 The ConstruKction of Light
5 The Letters
6 Sailor’s Tale
7 Starless
Gavin Harrison - Pat Mastelotto – Bill Rieflin - Mel Collins - Robert Fripp - Jakko Jakszyk - Tony Levin
Recorded Sept. 30th, October 1st at The Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles
Front Line: Mixed & Engineered by Gavin Harrison
Back Line: Mixed by Jakko Jakszyk & Robert Fripp
Production Engineer: Jakko Jakszyk
Live Recording Engineer: Mark Vreeken
Edited by 7/4

• 2 months later...

King Crimson finally make it back to the UK:

Mon 31 August - Friars, Aylesbury Waterside Theatre

Tue 1 September - Friars, Aylesbury Waterside Theatre

Thur 3 September - St. David's Hall, Cardiff

Fri 5th September - Dome Concert Hall, Brighton

Mon 7th September - Hackney Empire, London

Tue 8th September - Hackney Empire, London

Fri 11th September - The Lowry, Manchester

Mon 14th September - Symphony Hall, Birmingham

Thurs 17th September - Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Mon 22nd September - Olympia, Paris

Tue 23rd September - Olympia, Paris

Thurs 24th September - Tiolivrendenburg, Utrecht

Fri 25th September - Tiolivrendenburg, Utrecht

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-02-03/king-crimson-announce-uk-and-european-tour-dates

Got a ticket for Manchester. The end of my first week in retirement - ironic as the last time I saw them was in my first year as a university student following the path that led to my career.

I do like them starting at Friars in Aylesbury - never been there but I recall it being a major gigging place for all the second division bands in the early 70s before they hit the big time.

Thanks, Jeff. I've alluded to it on and off in various threads and will no doubt become thoroughly annoying about it as I get more excited. I'll miss the kids, the teaching, the camaraderie; not the marking or the endless need to react to educational policy by whim.

Back to KC....

mMM0eH6rQsmuKX3tdrWqcdw.jpg

Here's the one they used in Spring '73. I was at the Bristol performance.

For some reason I thought they were using the 'sun' emblem that graced LTIA. Maybe that was for the Autumn tour.

I had a big wall poster of it - don't think it came with the album as I recall it being uncreased. Must have bought it at one of these.

I see the LTIA sun on that poster!

This was the poster for the first KC show I saw, at a large festival in Wiesbaden:

d444d9380a4584218267527d2a1bd12c.jpg

Indeed. Up the top.

I only clicked with the early 80s KC in the late 90s. At the time it sounded like Talking Heads to my ears (I was totally out of sympathy with rock by that stage).

Think this is what I recall:

King-Crimson-Larks-Tongues-Tou-427685.jp

Remember Claire Hamill being good...though I was 17 so any female on stage was good in a male dominated world!

mMM0eH6rQsmuKX3tdrWqcdw.jpg

Here's the one they used in Spring '73. I was at the Bristol performance.

For some reason I thought they were using the 'sun' emblem that graced LTIA. Maybe that was for the Autumn tour.

I had a big wall poster of it - don't think it came with the album as I recall it being uncreased. Must have bought it at one of these.

I painted the Larks Tongue sun on my dorm room wall. Spring of 1982. The only thing I've ever painted. Senior year U Lowell. I guess it was something I needed to do.