***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the King Crimson that I've heard. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tell you what era it has been from. Any suggestions as to where I should start? Hopefully many of you are familiar enough with my taste in music.

Thanks!

Pick up In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic (or Red), and Discipline. Those should give you a nice introduction into the group's 3 most important periods.

Guy

well, they have done quite a bit since 1980, so i would add Thrak and The Power to Believe to this list to get a better representation.

But while they are heavy, they don't really break any new ground. I think Larks' Tongues in Aspic (or Red or Starless and Bible Black) and Discipline would be a great introduction to this band.

Cap d'Agde is a great one from the 80s, but the sound isnt the best. The one from Philly is good too, and it has versions of the Howler, Discipline and the Sheltering Sky. The ProjeKct One KCCC is one of my favorites-it is made of 3 suites compiled from over the 4 nights of performances, with a lot of nice Soundscaping from Fripp. I have enjoyed the ProjeKct Three disc a lot too-a little heavier than the disc included with the ProjeKcts box set

Thank ya sir! I probably won't order for another week or two (been buying too much music the past few days) so I'll likely pick one of the ProjeKcts (Soundscaping in One sounds great) you mention or pick between Cap d'Agde or Philly depending on my mood at the time. I noticed they no longer give source info (at least I don't see it) about the KCCCs so thanks for the tip about Cap d'Agde. I can handle great show/not great sound but I do like to know beforehand.

Love the 11/14/2003 download! Already taken 2 trips with it. Keep 'em comin' guys!

Edited by Quincy

I like the King Crimson that I've heard. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tell you what era it has been from. Any suggestions as to where I should start? Hopefully many of you are familiar enough with my taste in music.

Thanks!

Pick up In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic (or Red), and Discipline. Those should give you a nice introduction into the group's 3 most important periods.

Guy

well, they have done quite a bit since 1980, so i would add Thrak and The Power to Believe to this list to get a better representation.

But while they are heavy, they don't really break any new ground. I think Larks' Tongues in Aspic (or Red or Starless and Bible Black) and Discipline would be a great introduction to this band.

The Power to Believe sounds like nothing they have done previously (if you don't count the ProjeKcts), other than maybe Dangerous Curves (I think it's renamed as one of the title tracks) sounding like an update of Mars. I'd say the two guitars sound completely different in their latest work than they did in the 80s, too

The Power to Believe sounds like nothing they have done previously (if you don't count the ProjeKcts), other than maybe Dangerous Curves (I think it's renamed as one of the title tracks) sounding like an update of Mars. I'd say the two guitars sound completely different in their latest work than they did in the 80s, too

I'll have to give that material a fresh listen this weekend. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Guy

Can't speak for Power to Believe, which I haven't heard, but I don't think Thrak is essential Crimson. Though it has excellent songwriting by Adrian Belew, on the instrumental stuff it sounds like they're trying too hard. I'd get any of the mid 70s or 80s albums first. My favorite 90s Crimson is the Projekct Two set Space Groove.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Can't speak for Power to Believe, which I haven't heard, but I don't think Thrak is essential Crimson. Though it has excellent songwriting by Adrian Belew, on the instrumental stuff it sounds like they're trying too hard. I'd get any of the mid 70s or 80s albums first. My favorite 90s Crimson is the Projekct Two set Space Groove.

Guy

I love Power to Believe. I think it's their best studio disc since Discipline. Though I'm not sure there were THAT many contenders between the two. I like the ProjeKct stuff alot as well.

And for anyone looking, Power to Believe is also available at yourmusic.com for $5.99.

oh come now belew isnt KCs 1st good songwriter, but i will tell you this from personal expierence with the man: he IS on the otherhand the 1st member of KC not to be absouetly nutz. for the most part, these are not normal people we are dealing with here, by any stretch of the immigination. i wouldn't go as far as to say fripps insane, but he is most certainly off his rocker. He mind-f'ked (pardon the french but it was the most applicable term) Billy Bruford away from his own music in order to play 2nd fiddle to fripps crazy songs. I know this might sound harsh but i have had a lot of contact with this band and i know how it is with these people.

Dangerous Curves (I think it's renamed as one of the title tracks)

No, it kept the same name on the album.

The following pieces of music were altered and renamed for The Power To Believe:

Virtuous Circle -> The Power To Believe II (an improvement)

Deception of the Thrush -> The Power To Believe III (not an improvement)

• 3 weeks later...

The 90s Crimson is probably my least favorite lineup, except maybe the Islands group. Adrian Belew wrote some really good songs ("Dinosaur", "One Time", "Walking on Air") but the instrumental stuff isn't that great.

On the other hand I've been seriously digging ProjeKct Two's Space Groove. KC does In a Silent Way, sort of.

Guy

The 90s Crimson is probably my least favorite lineup, except maybe the Islands group. Adrian Belew wrote some really good songs ("Dinosaur", "One Time", "Walking on Air") but the instrumental stuff isn't that great.

Hmm, I just downloaded 9-29-94 form DGMLive and I'll just have to respectfully disagree. :g

Thanks for the tip Greg. :)

Edited by Quincy

Hmm, I just downloaded 9-29-94 form DGMLive and I'll just have to respectfully disagree. :g

Thanks for the tip Greg. :)

No problem! Don't forget to check out the still ongoing KCCC, which has just released Live at the Wiltern, 1995. Fripp and Belew had thought it was a very special show so they planned to release back in 1996, but instead put out B'Boom and Thrakattak.

I also disagree about the instrumentals-I prefere the mid 90s instrumentals to the proper songs. I wish there were more! I can listen to Vroom and Vroom Vroom over and over and still hear new things. And Thrak is about as hard sounding, pummeling as Crimson got, rivalling Lark's Tongues Part 4, Level 5 and Red

:lol::lol::lol:

And I really like Patti Page.

Time for your folks to understand this is "nostalgia", not music.

Nostalgia when the setlist from the last tour was often 60+% songs from the past 2 albums or 3 years? They've done a pretty good job about trying new things over the years, especially with their (apologies for the spelling) ProjeKcts. I don't think they're ready for Branson yet (or Branson ready for them.) :lol:

Don't forget to check out the still ongoing KCCC, which has just released Live at the Wiltern, 1995. Fripp and Belew had thought it was a very special show so they planned to release back in 1996, but instead put out B'Boom and Thrakattak.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, especially after hearing how different 9-29-94 is to Broadway & the Deja VROOOM DVD (plus a double trio boot I have.) The last order of kcccs ended up being Mainz, D'Agde and the P1 Jazz Cafe (passed on Zoom '72 this go 'round.) Love 'em all, with the '82 being the one I have to be careful not to overplay. Unless I flame out on my Crimson jag I anticipate another order before springtime including Heidelberg '74, Philly '82 and the new double trio release. And the Zoom '72 and a few other releases are in contention - maybe I need to bump it to 4 discs rather than the usual 3 at a time. :rolleyes: Never mind a couple of downloads I have my eyes on too.

There's something about Zappa & Crimson where when you're into them, you're really into them and there are few substitutes. (Perhaps "you" should be substituted with "I.") It's more relative now in that other music gets played too as opposed to when I was younger, but lately Crimson is certainly a leader as there's almost always a daily dose (or every other day) of some sort of Frippery. Surprising how well it goes with Teagarden & Bix as it did today. :P It seems like each time I come out of Crimson (2 or 3 month) hibernation my love for the band grows stronger. I'm really looking forward to what they do next!, but in the meantime I'll happily enjoy the downloads & kcccs.

I also disagree about the instrumentals-I prefer the mid 90s instrumentals to the proper songs. I wish there were more! I can listen to Vroom and Vroom Vroom over and over and still hear new things. And Thrak is about as hard sounding, pummeling as Crimson got, rivalling Lark's Tongues Part 4, Level 5 and Red

Yup, I especially love where they string 'em together (both old & new instrumentals, as the old ones became "new.") The high quality of the 9-29-94 recording (duh, along with the performance) makes it a delight to hone in on who is doing what...though I have trouble concentrating on one member for too long as I easily get swept away by the band. Damn, Tony Levin on (now playing) "Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream" is something else!

Edited by Quincy

I also disagree about the instrumentals-I prefere the mid 90s instrumentals to the proper songs. I wish there were more! I can listen to Vroom and Vroom Vroom over and over and still hear new things. And Thrak is about as hard sounding, pummeling as Crimson got, rivalling Lark's Tongues Part 4, Level 5 and Red

Vroom and Vroom Vroom sounded better when they were titled "Red". :)

Guy

Guy

Fripp & Belew had more musical guitar sounds before the 90's. :excited:

Guy

They are related pieces of a theme, like the Lark's Tongues series

• 8 months later...