What's your Dexter Gordon IQ.

Hardbopjazz

11 out of 12. I missed #7... didn't think hard enough. ^_^ Besides #5, there was another question that seemed odd- the one about which pianist was on the 1970's bebop album... which they didn't name. :unsure: I was looking around for a cover image.

Uh, Wynton Kelly on The Jumpin Blues?

I'm sorry Jim, but I'm going to have to revoke your status as a true-blue Dex-aholic.

:g

:o Hey, hey, HEY now, I didn't miss that question! <_< I... missed the easier one (#7). :g I'm just saying the Wynton Kelly question was strangely presented: "6) What pianist joined Gordon in recording this 1970’s straight-ahead bebop album, one of the last before the pianist’s death." :unsure: "This" straight-ahead bebop ( :unsure: ) album" ??? WHAT straight ahead bebop album? You see what I'm sayin'? Kelly was the only possible choice, so I got it right, but... :blink: dumb question (who put this shit together, anyway?)

11 out of 12. I missed #7... didn't think hard enough. ^_^ Besides #5, there was another question that seemed odd- the one about which pianist was on the 1970's bebop album... which they didn't name. :unsure: I was looking around for a cover image.

Uh, Wynton Kelly on The Jumpin Blues?

I'm sorry Jim, but I'm going to have to revoke your status as a true-blue Dex-aholic.

:g

:o Hey, hey, HEY now, I didn't miss that question! <_< I... missed the easier one (#7). :g I'm just saying the Wynton Kelly question was strangely presented: "6) What pianist joined Gordon in recording this 1970’s straight-ahead bebop album, one of the last before the pianist’s death." :unsure: "This" straight-ahead bebop ( :unsure: ) album" ??? WHAT straight ahead bebop album? You see what I'm sayin'? Kelly was the only possible choice, so I got it right, but... :blink: dumb question (who put this shit together, anyway?)

Just bustin your chops, Jim! ;)

How's the piano-less trio date with just bass and drums??

Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever heard any Dex in a small group setting, without piano.

How's the one with guitar??

Any other piano-less small group Dex records??

Anybody??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

How's the piano-less trio date with just bass and drums??

Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever heard any Dex in a small group setting, without piano.

How's the one with guitar??

Any other piano-less small group Dex records??

Anybody??

Both Lullaby and Different are terrific Dexter. Can't think of others without piano.

9 of 12 for me. Missed an easy one. My copy of Long Tall Dex doesnt' have 17 cuts on it I don't think. Should have known since it was the Savoy release.

For me it was Dex's Black Lion releases.....Flawless IMHO. That is where I would start. After that you will "get" it all. Love his Steeplechase work as well.