NEW, NEVER HEARD, DIZZY & BIRD FROM UPTOWN

JSngry

As the last post suggested, perhaps a list of these bootleg labels would be helpful. Is there one somewhere? I guess I had an idea about JSP, but Chuck's comment about projects being put on hold hits home.

You know what? Such a list HAS been drawn up here not long ago on another thread (sorry, can't recall the exact title or author -so you'll have to do a search).

But then you know what? There is little unanimity and a good deal of double standards in this too. As soon as Andorra is mentioned the bashing proceeds (mainly from the US) but when it comes to other labels from other countries in the EU that take advantage of the European 50-year Public Domain laws (as do many of the Andorrans) and then go on to release BOX SET reissues with material from the 30s, 40s and early 50s at dirt cheap prices that - OH WONDER - very often duplicate previous reissues to an astonishingly large extent as far as their contents go (how come, I wonder? Just coincidence??) the criticism all of a sudden largely abates because THOSE box sets seem to be dear to the hearts of quite a few (who'd otherwise sneer at the Andorrans) because they allow them to fill gaps in their collections at dirt cheap prices as those reissues seem to cover artists that had been total blanks in the collections of many who up to that time seemed to have gone back not much beyond the Hard Bop era in the history of jazz.

Very, very strange, and to me it only shows that double standards do tend to cloud one's perception when it comes to judging "shady" labels.

Just my 2c

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Just bought this in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and I just popped it in the player tonight and decided to read this thread too, but I totally lost track of what I was reading after pager three, as this music just overwhelmed me. WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it took me this long to come around and buy this. What the hell was I thinking? I feel so fortunate to have this rare opportunity to hear a an engagement like this! Thanks to Chuck and everyone else that helped deliver this to the public. I mean, I can't say it as well as Jim and others who've commented on this cd, but Jesus, I am BLOWN away! Diz and Parker are incredible! Al Haig is doing some crazy shit here too. And I agree about Sid Catlett. He's playing a kit like its Blakey or Blackwell. I didn't really know who he was, but he's not old school.

Just some thoughts. But man, this is some amazing stuff! :excited:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bixieland

Holy Ghost -- When I was in Chicago recently I picked up the Gillespie big band 2disc set on Uptown "Showtime at the Spotlite." I hadn't heard of Uptown until then, but was immediately impressed. The Bird/Diz set soon followed -- and it is a corker! I wonder what else is out there!!!

61f3Ntjs1ML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Holy Ghost -- When I was in Chicago recently I picked up the Gillespie big band 2disc set on Uptown "Showtime at the Spotlite." I hadn't heard of Uptown until then, but was immediately impressed. The Bird/Diz set soon followed -- and it is a corker! I wonder what else is out there!!!

chuck nessa used to be involved with uptown, there must be loads of discussion of various releases somewhere on this board

you can browse and (probably) stream a good deal of their catalogue here

http://www.lastfm.de/label/Uptown+Jazz/albums

Edited by Niko

chuck nessa used to be involved with uptown, there must be loads of discussion of various releases somewhere on this board

you can browse and (probably) stream a good deal of their catalogue here

http://www.lastfm.de/label/Uptown+Jazz/albums

Very good issue from Uptown.

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.