NEW, NEVER HEARD, DIZZY & BIRD FROM UPTOWN

JSngry

So, will this release get covered in the "mainstream" jazz mags?? I'm sure Cadence will review it, but how about the low-down good-for-nothin' glossy rags??

Only asking, cuz this talk of "release of the year" got me thinkin' about the Downbeat polls and such. If nothing else, it'd be nice to get something like this at least on their "top 10" list of historic reissues. (Well, it's not a REissue - but you know what I mean.)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, will this release get covered in the "mainstream" jazz mags??  I'm sure Cadence will review it, but how about the low-down good-for-nothin' glossy rags??

I cannot possibly imagine that they will sleep on this, unless Uptown has no budget whatsoever for reviewer copies.

So, will this release get covered in the "mainstream" jazz mags??  I'm sure Cadence will review it, but how about the low-down good-for-nothin' glossy rags??

I cannot possibly imagine that they will sleep on this, unless Uptown has no budget whatsoever for reviewer copies.

Ignoring this release would reflect VERY badly on the jazz mags. It would relegate them to fanzine status - which they may be.

It' really quite staggering that it firstly was found and secondly that the sound is so good. The whole package as ever from Uptown is truly topnotch.

I hope the Garner estate comes to their senses !!! ( if nothing else it'd be great to get some more Byas)

Edited by Clunky

The liners mention Jack Towers doing early transfers, he's no slouch either.

Out of interest did Ted K travel to the discs or did some one put them in a jiffy bag and mail them to him.?? I often been curious how these rare artefacts are handled.

I got a little package from Mr Nessa today! (The 60th anniversary of the event by the way.)

I'm much more into hardbop, soul jazz, organ jazz etc but WOW!! This is one of those genre defying moments of greatness to be esteemed by everyone.

This is now my definitive bebop recording, displacing Massey Hall which I now view as merely a fond look back to the glory which came eight years before!

I enjoyed the reviews of the show included in the liner notes in which the reviewer wsa more concerned that a program was not followed!! That's rich stuff. :lol:

Edited by scottb

The liners mention Jack Towers doing early transfers, he's no slouch either.

Out of interest did Ted K travel to the discs or did some one put them in a jiffy bag and mail them to him.?? I often been curious how these rare artefacts are handled.

Actually, Ted was the 4th mastering engineer with a crack at it. The discs were shipped to him.