NEW, NEVER HEARD, DIZZY & BIRD FROM UPTOWN

JSngry

I got this last night, listened to it several times at work and then listened to it on my main system straight through. . . .

Well worth the long wait. I was thrilled to hear the great Sid Catlett performance; Sid is among THE men for me on drums, and this was a well recorded example of why! Ted Kendall did a wonderful job overall. Bird and Diz were both really "ON." Kudoes to EVERYONE INVOLVED. May it win grammys!

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.  Bird and Diz were both really "ON." 

To rephrase a question I asked earlier in this thread: Were they this good every night around then? This may be the best live performace I've heard by them. Anyone suggest any they think are better? I'm still befuddled by the lack of enthusiasm from the contemporary reviewers quoted in the liner notes.

I've been enjoying this a lot lately. Outstanding playing by all involved, although I think it's particularly some of the best Dizzy I've ever heard. His chops were amazing that night.

And Sid Catlett is an extra treat for sure.

Great stuff- definitely a candidate for best new release of the year.

For those who find Dizzy a revelation here, I strongly recommend the live big bamd sets on GNP & Vogue, and an airshot from Birdland (1952?), also with Bird (and Bud Powell and Roy Haynes).

The convivial Dizzymusic that most of use have come to know and love is not necessarily the same Dizzymusic heard on these recordings. THAT Dizzymusic is freakin' dangerous.

If Dizzy is a revelation here, you have been missing out. Dizzy is the greatest jazz trumpet player (just my opinion, of course).

Oh, I'm a fan of Dizzy my friend! I got to meet him in the 80s on a jazz cruise. I've also got a lot of Dizzy recordings, which is why this new thing blew me away- I'm jacked to hear Diz in a moment where the imagination and chops are in TOTAL sync. Not that it hasn't happened before, but this particular concert was especially good IMHO.

I'm down with you on love for Diz, kh1958! BTW, is 1958 your birthyear? It happens to be mine, so we might be of the same vintage.

Regarding who's playing on 52nd Street- I won't pretend to present any kind of expert opinion, but I got a feeling from the chatter/audience response between tunes that Sid might have stayed on to play the short version of 52nd St. The feel between Max and Sid is so similar it's hard to say. IMHO Sid played with a little more emphasis on the quarter notes than Max. But I'm not sure. Other guesses?

Edited by Free For All

Yes, I was born in 1958, a mere one day older than Michael Jackson and Madonna.

If Dizzy is a revelation here, you have been missing out. Dizzy is the greatest jazz trumpet player (just my opinion, of course).

Oh, I'm a fan of Dizzy my friend! I got to meet him in the 80s on a jazz cruise. I've also got a lot of Dizzy recordings, which is why this new thing blew me away- I'm jacked to hear Diz in a moment where the imagination and chops are in TOTAL sync. Not that it hasn't happened before, but this particular concert was especially good IMHO.

I'm down with you on love for Diz, kh1958! BTW, is 1958 your birthyear? It happens to be mine, so we might be of the same vintage.

Regarding who's playing on 52nd Street- I won't pretend to present any kind of expert opinion, but I got a feeling from the chatter/audience response between tunes that Sid might have stayed on to play the short version of 52nd St. The feel between Max and Sid is so similar it's hard to say. IMHO Sid played with a little more emphasis on the quarter notes than Max. But I'm not sure. Other guesses?

Latter half of the '70s but I don't remember the years. The first time was at a (long) taping of a TV show with Klook and the second was at the Chicago Jazz Fest with Diz, Al, Ray Brown, Max and Cecil Payne.

Chuck wrote:  "BTW, on two differet occasions I saw Diz treat Al Haig like shit. Both times Haig just took it and played impeccably."

I'm very curious - what year was this?

I finally listened to my copy. Great, great stuff. I concur with other poster who hope that the Garner material is ultimately released. I know that Uptown did it's best to get this out there, and it looks like we need to wait for the estate to change hands. What a shame. It is so weird to read contemporary reviewers say that Dizzy and co. played too fast, since many of the swing bands played tunes just as fast, though maybe not with such complicated changes.

I finally listened to my copy.  Great, great stuff.  I concur with other poster who hope that the Garner material is ultimately released.  I know that Uptown did it's best to get this out there, and it looks like we need to wait for the estate to change hands.  What a shame.  It is so weird to read contemporary reviewers say that Dizzy and co. played too fast, since many of the swing bands played tunes just as fast, though maybe not with such complicated changes.

BTW Chuck: Is the Garner material as good as the critics say? And is it very different from his later work?