NEW, NEVER HEARD, DIZZY & BIRD FROM UPTOWN

JSngry

Guest ariceffron

CHUCK:

IF MONEY WASNT HOLDING BACK THE GARNER ESTATE, WHAT IN YOUR OPINION WAS THEIR REASON FOR THE FLAT OUT 'NO'?? DO THEY HAVE LAWYERS RUNNING IT AND WAS IT A LEGAL DECISION, OR SOMETHING MORE COMPLEX?

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to have been in attendance at the party. (meeting Chuck was a great pleasure)

I sat in awe while listening to the music in discussion. There was a hush in the room, one of reverance at what we were hearing. There seemed to be an unspoken awareness of the fact that those of us seated in that room were one of few people that had EVER heard this music that was set down on acetate nealy 5 decades earlier. It was a priceless experience.

Thank you Chuck for sharing this with us. Thanks Jim for inviting me over to the soiree; the bbq was great!

I can hardly wait until this music is released on CD!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Had the chance to hear this music twice, once in Chuck's basement, and then again last fall as we drove down to Ann Arbor to hear Ornette.

There's so much to the experience, as you said being a witness to history -- but the music is fresh at that point in their careers. Hearing a part of the arrangement of "Salt Peanuts" which never made it past this peformance on to record; or comparing some of Dizzy's solos here with the Massey Hall versions; and to hear the response Sid Catlett gets when he sits-in really puts the newness of Diz and Bird in perspective: they were not the stars that night, they were the opening act. Who could even imagine that today, that Bid Sid would get a huge round of applause as Max steps away?

It really is too bad that the Garner Estate won't play ball because that quintet with Buck Clayton and Don Byas coming out with the Bird and Diz music would make this an even more amazing snapshot of time. As it is, however, to dwell on what isn't at the expense of what is there would be too typical of the time we live in now.

a couple of years ago, philology released 1-2 hours of new parker. i don't remember a thread about that.

and this is what, 6 minutes?

priorities, priorities.

You should never respond to a thread without READING it.

you want me to read a 10 page thread? i skimmed through it. that's enough.

i guarantee there wasn't such excitement made by these people about the philology stuff that i mentioned.

you want me to read a 10 page thread? i skimmed through it. that's enough.

If you had read more than the last few posts you would have understood this is not a thread about 6 minutes.

it was all in the first post, wasn't it? :w

edit: it wasn't. "a little over 40 minutes" was in the 19th post on this ten+ page thread...

ah, well

Edited by couw

a couple of years ago, philology released 1-2 hours of new parker. i don't remember a thread about that.

and this is what, 6 minutes?

priorities, priorities.

You should never respond to a thread without READING it.

Why, that never stopped anyone before :lol:

Jack, it has been redone twice since then. :g

All is finished now and going to the designer on Monday. The last piece of the puzzle was the newspaper ad for the concert. Looks like Coleman Hawkins and Slam Stewart were "no shows" for the gig.

Liner notes by Ira Gitler, a note about getting the discs by Bob and a technical note from mastering engineer Ted Kendall.

Edited by Chuck Nessa