Richard Pryor Has Left Us

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad news... I still remember laughing so hard as a kid when he was on SNL (the one with the parody of THE EXORCIST..."The-bed-is-on-my-FOOT!" and the "dead honky!" word-association sketch with Chevy Chase). And in junior-high, my friends and I loved to sit around and listen to his records. RIP Mr. Pryor. :(

I saw him at The Cellar Door about 1970. He was the warm up act to Herbie Hancock's band, and a friend who worked there told me that he felt that Herbie should have been his warm up.

The jokes were funny, but often scatological. The crowd was 50/50 black and white. Half the jokes poked fun at blacks, and the whites laughed. The other half poked fun at whites, and the blacks laughed. Not too many jokes appealled to everyone at the same time.

Richard Pryor was an important part of my growing up. He was echoed through my L. A. neighborhood and on the schoolyards as his album, "That Nigger's Crazy" came out, even more than Bill Cosby had been.

I saw all of his movies for many years. He was one of the funniest entertainers ever and very hip, in-touch, and sometimes even inspirational.

"Rest In Peace", Richard Pryor

:( Last time I saw him in an interview, he couldn't really talk, but his wife could understand what he was saying, and would then convey it. Amazing, he became a senior citizen earlier this month.

I would love to know how much of Blazing Saddles he wrote. My favorite movie of his is Silver Streak. He and Wilder were pure magic together. Pryor to cop as he is sneaking Gene Wilder(In blackface) past the police onto a train "Who you looking for?" Cop holding a photo: "White guy" Pryor: "Well, if I see any, I'll let you know!" :g

Edited by BERIGAN

My first hearing of this news is this thread. I'm stunned.

Loved the cat. Loved him. Funniest man in my lifetime, bar none. A true comic virtuoso, to say nothing of one of the more astute "social commentators" of his, or any other, time.

So far, still ain't nobody passed the ultimate test...

Edited by JSngry

Richard and Gene in the same day! DAMN!

Topsy Turvy world today.

Really hard to keep this out of the "political" territory. Sorry, we all live in a world where "what we do" and "what we appreciate" might influence life or death for some folks. Let me say I hate all this crap.

Maybe you "hadda" be there.

Anybody tried to kill you 'cause of "what you thought"?

Been there, done that.

Edited by Chuck Nessa