This Much Is True. It's on SACD.

Saint Vitus

B00008AB5C.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Could the essay "Underappreciated genius of Spandau Ballet shines brightly thanks to SACD" be far behind? ;)

In a related story, someone has written 999th installment of the "I bought this CD without knowing much about the music in it just because Steve Hoffman mastered it" series at the Hoffman forum.

Edited by Saint Vitus

I think i missed the sarcasm of the original post. For what it's worth (probably not much to the jazzers here) but I think "True" is a mighty fine early 80s pop album! What's exactly wrong with releasing it on SACD? (I won't buy it, but the original LP is fine by me.)

Edited by RDK

I'm skeptical of any recording 'popular' enough to have been released on SACD...

You mean like "Blue Train" or "A love Supreme?" :huh:

Ok, clearly not every SACD release... But, over the years, it's been my observation that the majority of "audiophile" releases are (at least more often than not), (re)releases of material that doesn't push the envelope, never did push the envelope (except 50 to 150 years before, in the case of classical recordings, of things like Mahler and Beethoven), and wouldn't even think of pushing the envelope. (Meaning most of them are pretty "safe" material.)

There are exceptions, to be sure. Many of them, probably. But, in principal, I think my statement is largely true.

I can't count the number of times I've read or seen references to "audiophile LP" releases of the most pedantic material imaginable.

I'm not saying it's a hard-n-fast rule, but to my estimation, there sure are a hell of a lot of audiophile issues of some pretty damn "nice" material out there. (And that word "nice" is very much "in quotes", if you know what I mean.)

Surely I'm not the only one who's had this observation??? Or perhaps it’s better with SACD's than with audiophile LP's.

I remember getting some catalog in the mail a few years ago (late 90's), listing a ton of audiophile LP's, many of them even 45-rmp issues of 12" platters, presenting what was one 33-rpm LP (originally), now spread over two 12" 45's. And I remember thinking at the time that nearly all the selections in this catalog were for people who were way more into $20,000 turntables, and $500 needles, and the “SOUND” of the record... ...than they ever were interested in the “MUSIC”.

Shit, if I remember right - there were even several Boston Pops recordings from the 50's in there, and other such nonsense. I'm not saying that music has no redeeming value, but to go to all that "sonic" trouble, for that!! - was and is totally beyond me. :wacko:

[/soapbox]

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest GregM

Have you guys heard the PM Dawn version?

Well, let me know if you think this is narrow musical taste. Some of my recent purchases on SACD:

Dr. Ali Akar Khan: Indian Architexture

Isaac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul

Beethoven: Kleiber, Symphonies 5 & 7

Olatunji: Drums of Passion

Groove Armada: Goodbye Country Hello Nightclub

Joe Chambers: Urban Grooves

Schubert: Solo Piano works/Volodos

John Coltrane: Blue Train

Police: Ghost in the Machine

Kodo: Mondo Head

Schumann, Dvorak: Piano Concertos/Paolo Giacometti

Lightnin Hopkins: Broken Hearted Blues

Miles Davis: Steamin'

I'm also on the verge of ordering a bunch of Venus Jazz SACDs by the likes of Kuhn and Eddie Higgins. I'm planning to get the new Macy Gray, and maybe the Aimee Mann, as well as JOHN WILLIAMS(the guitarist) Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez - Fantasia para un gentilhombre / Villa-Lobos: Co and MIDORI Bruch & Mendelssohn Violin Concertos when they come out on SACD (soon). And of course the Dylan. Then there's the OJC SACDs in August as well as the Verves (Sarah Vaughn and Basie--April in Paris) and the Impulse (Trane and Hartman). Hopefully there will be a lot more where those are concerned, though I can barely keep up as it is. I admit there is not a lot of jazz aside from the most overplayed material, but there is some, pretty far off the beaten path actually. More enticingly, there is a lot of music of other cultures and a lot of classical. And it's enjoyable to rediscover the old rock favorites with all the effortless detail and extended highs.

But nope, nothing good or varied on SACD. :excited:

Don't have the Spandau Ballet, but I do have the Jennifer Lopez: On the Six, which I was surprised to find myself enjoying quite a bit, and my female friends enjoy it too.

So, yeah, I'm just a stilted audiophile who doesn't know how to enjoy music. :rolleyes:

Edited by GregM

[And I remember thinking at the time that nearly all the selections in this catalog were for people who were way more into $20,000 turntables, and $500 needles, and the “SOUND” of the record... ...than they ever were interested in the “MUSIC”.

Dude, noone plays records on a $20,000 turntable with a $500 cartridge. That'd be unhip.

Sounds like you got an anti-audiophile thing going. :o

FYI, audiophiles saved mucho music you listen to today. Many a historic recording exist today only because a nutty collector fished it out of the trash in someone's attic[spandau Ballet not including]. I don't think I have records like that, but I tell you, they sure sound nice on a good turntable.

records2.jpg