Phil Ranelin Recuperating

clifford_thornton

I found this on the AAJ website - some very scary news, though it certainly could have been worse. Best wishes to Phil as he makes his hopefully speedy recovery!

Legendary slide trombonist, Phil Ranelin, is alive and recuperating from a major operation

Posted: 2005-12-10

Legendary slide trombonist, Phil Ranelin, is alive and recuperating from a major operation as a result of a severe traffic accident caused by an 18-year old drunk driver who ran a red light and broadsided Ranelin's Honda accord on 3rd Street and Normandie as Ranelin was on his way home from sitting in with Obie Jessie at Cabrini's Jazz Alley in Los Angeles during the Thanksgiving Weekend.

The successful 5-hour operation took place Friday, December 2, 2005 at Noon, after orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Emmanuel, pieced together Ranelin's knee and lower right leg which were fractured and broken in several places. He is expected to recover fully after convalescence with advanced orthopedic technology which allowed Dr. Emmanuel to salvage and rebuild Ranelin's entire leg.

Get well greetings can be mailed to:

Phil Ranelin c/o

Brotman Medial Center/Rehab Unit

3828 Delmas Terrace, Room 430A

Culver City, CA 90232

(310) 836-7000, Extension 7430

Ranelin had liability insurance and the at-fault driver had none. So donations towards Phil Ranelin's medical expenses can be given as a tax deductible donation through the following non-profit organization which has agreed to act as a fiscal receiver for The Ranelin Fund (which should be notated at the bottom of the check or money order and made out to and sent to):

The World Stage Performance Gallery Phil Ranelin C/O The World Stage PO Box 83253 Los Angeles, CA 90083

“Boneman” Ranelin hopes that he and his bones will be back on the Jazz scene soon.

Ranelin had liability insurance and the at-fault driver had none. So donations towards Phil Ranelin's medical expenses can be given as a tax deductible donation...

WTF?? :angry:

Ranelin had liability insurance himself, but it's the the insurance (or lack thereof) of the OTHER driver that determines whether or not Ranelin's medical expenses get paid?????? :angry:

I'll admit that I certainly don't know all the ins and outs of the insurance industry, but it seems like I've heard (several times before, I kinda think) that the OTHER driver's liability insurance takes the first hit. But absent that, I thought that your own insurance kicked it. Isn't that one of this things that having insurance is for?? - to cover for when the other guy DOESN'T have any?? I thought that's what my policy covered.

Don't tell me that you're TOTALLY at the mercy of whether the other guy has insurance or not - as to whether you, yourself, are covered. Cuz if THAT'S the case, that just ain't right!!! <_<

Anybody know what Ranelin's medical expenses came to?? I recently discovered and LOVE that guy's recordings from the 70's, and wish him all the best on a speedy recovery. Will probably pitch in $50 myself.

Would love to hear him some time, and am thrilled that he wasn't hurt any worse than he was.

First--this is BULLSHIT.

Two--something very similar happened to me not too long ago... I was trying to clear an intersection, some cat comes out from the side (didn't see me coming, although I was fairly clear into his line of vision), almost T-bones my honda. Anyhow, quick responses prevailed... 'cause if I hadn't floored it, I would be dead by now (he took out the entire back third of my car). Anyhow, the guy wasn't drunk--he was just driving a seriously dilapidated automobile--I mean, phenomenally slow--without any insurance to speak of. To work. For his family. Teenager, by the way. To compound the unfortunate circumstances, this was his second or third accident in recent memory... and he didn't have a license. Oops!

Premiums rise, that's for sure. Regardless, insurance will fight tooth and nail--that's their job, they get paid. But if this 18-year-old drunkard was driving without insurance, there are grounds for legal intervention... punitive repercussions should be substantial (in whatever sense--formal or informal).

Regardless, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Ranelin's, saw him with Michael Sessions at LACMA this past summer. There are few trombonists I hold in equal esteem, and his albums have always been a joy of mine. I pray for his recovery.

Yeah, insurance companies suck. They want to profit, and this is an easy way to do it. Without knowing the circumstances of the case, it's hard to say what is happening with it from our end. And liability - correct me if I'm wrong - would kick in only if Phil had hit the other guy, and paid for HIS medical up to a certain (small) amount. Right? Of course, the fact that all he had was liability is I'm sure due to the fact that insurance is an exhorbitantly expensive rip-off, even if you have it.

Regardless, a very unfortunate scene for a great artist. He will be getting my well-wishes.

Anybody know (or can find out) how much Mr. Ranelin's medical bills were?? I'm gonna try to contribute about $50 (which I know I can afford), and I might be moved to give $100 - depending on the size of those bills.

Considering that an ACL repair/reconstruct can cost $13,000 and takes an hour or less, and this was a 5 hour emergency reconstructive job...yikes! And the expenses are just beginning. The rehab on that is going to be painful in more ways than one. Wouldn't surprise me if it's up into the $20,000 range or much much higher. Spending 5 hours with surgeons and staff has got to be expensive.

Time for me to kick-in $100 then.

It'd sure be nice if this board could generate a total of at least $1,000 in contributions to the fund. Who else is in??

Jim -- Can we get the topic changed to mention the fund (maybe a subheading like "donate to his medical expense fund"), and get it pinned?? Thanks!!! :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

:: The World Stage Newsletter :: 12.13.05 ::

Outstanding jazz trombonist, composer and leader Phil Ranelin is

recuperating in Brotman Hospital, Culver City from reconstructive knee

surgery after an automobile accident on the way home from a gig. He was

broadsided by a driver at high speed who is reported to have been

intoxicated. Phil will be in rehabilitation for several months while he

recovers. Cards and expressions of support can be sent to the hospital

at 3828 Delmas Terrace, Culver City, CA 90231. Phone calls at

310.836.7000 should be directed to room 430A.

~CFRosemond

• 10 months later...

Anybody know how Phil Ranelin is doing these days??

(FYI, the rest of this thread (everything above this post), dates back to December 2005.)

Edit: Did a search of Google's "News" function, and it appears from this link, that Phil is playing again...

Music Rock Picks

For September 21–28

By L.A. Weekly Music Staff

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:00 pm

SATURDAY, September 23

Dublab Anniversary Celebration at a super-secret mystery location somewhere in downtown L.A.

This Dublab anniversary celebration, an “elevated evening of music and art,” features one of those weirdly resonant and totally relevant combinations of personas, skills and flavors that our critically crucial Dublab crew has come to be hailed for far and wide. The lineup includes Hoseh, Kutmah, Nobody, Daedelus, Devendra Banhart, Dwight Trible, Phil Ranelin, Mia Doi Todd, Carlos Niño, Jimmy Tamborello and many others, plus a performance by the John Coltrane Tribute Cooperative, a concert-poster exhibit, live screen-printing and motion graphics, magic, and much more. Go to the Web site (www.dublab.com) for details; the event goes from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.; advance tickets, $7 (info@dublab.com), $12 at the door; RSVP required for directions: rsvp@dublab.com. (John Payne)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Lecture series he was doing back in May, so it looks like he's back in the swing of things...

Phil Ranelin asks the question, "Who is" JJ Johnson, Mingus, Hampton, Dolphy etc...

by jazzcat on Thu 11 May 2006 10:20 AM PDT | Permanent Link

Click Phil's picture to listen to his music!!!!

Jazz trombonist Phil Ranelin has been trotting across Los Angeles doing a series of talks on a few key and very influential legendary jazz musicians don't miss the opportunity to hear learn and experience some of the wonderful stories and history passed on down by a cat who was there!

Below is the calander for the upcoming events!

PACOIMA BRANCH-Los Angeles Public Library

13605 Van Nuys Blvd., Pacoima, CA 91331, (818) 899-5203

Thursday, May 11, 2006, 4PM-7PM - WHO IS J.J.JOHNSON?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006, 4PM-7PM - WHO IS CHARLES MINGUS?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 4PM-7PM - WHO IS DEXTER GORDON?

SYLMAR BRANCH-Los Angeles Public Library

14561 Polk Street, Sylmar, CA 91342, (818) 367-6102

Saturday, May 13, 2006, 2PM-5PM - WHO IS HAMPTON HAWES?

Saturday, May 27, 2006, 2PM-5PM - WHO IS FREDDIE HUBBARD?

Saturday, June 3, 2006, 2PM-5PM- WHO IS HORACE TAPSCOTT?

Saturday, June 10, 2006, 2PM-5PM - WHO IS ERIC DOLPHY?

Thread title scared the shit out of me as I forgot that he had been injured and thought it was a very recent thing!

Saw Phil just a couple of weeks ago at the Oliver Nelson tribute at Luckman and had been planning to attend his lecture series this past weekend but couldn't get away at the last minute. Yes, he does have a new series in progess, but most are weekdays and I doubt I'll be able to get away from work for them. Have a list here at home if anyone needs info, but I haven't found anything posted on-line about it. It is good that he is back playing again.