Womens, Mens, What Do You Top Your Pancakes

Huh?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me only real maple syrup. One of my co-workers makes it, and I always buy a batch from him. My wife likes the fake stuff. If the neighbors found out we could get thrown out of the state.

And Jeb Bartlett is right; New Hampshire's syrup is better than Vermont's.

Ten years ago I spent the winter in Quebec City.

They have price supports there. I learned that the Quebec govt has enough maple syrup stockpiled to last for years if production were ever discontinued, which it never will be.

I haven't made up my mind between Quebec and Vermont. I think I prefer Quebec, but I've had Vermont much more often. I've never had New Hampshire before. I think Ontario makes it too.

I get this stuff from Wisconsin - a Polish name with lots of Y's and Z's, I can't quite recall it now.

Switched from store-bought sugar water to that because that stuff is crammed full of high-fructose corn syrup. Bad news.

And, it tastes better! I find it much...cleaner?... on the palate than the sugar water. I dunno, I now find it too...syrupy. :D

An interesting bit of history on maple sweetners:

Consistent with the subsistence life style of many early settlers and colonists, maple syrup and maple sugar were the staple sweeteners. These products found their way into many prepared food products, along with use in preserving, drying and curing processes. Cane sugar was a rare and expensive commodity, generally not readily available. When it was available, it was treated as a luxury product.

Maple products continued their dominance as important food sweeteners in the United States until the Civil War. Following the Civil War, improvements in transportation made cane sugar available in greater quantities and at lower prices than before. As a result, many nonfarm people switched to cane sugar. With a lessening of demand for maple sugar, farmers began to produce and market maple as syrup. Maple syrup was on the way toward becoming a specialty product.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/b856_6.html

When I was a kid my folks lived in Japan. We used to travel back and forth to the U.S. to visit family, and often passed through Hawaii on the way (though sometimes the route was through Alaska instead). Invariably we'd end up staying a day or two in Hawaii and do the beach thing.

I remember clearly how delicious the Coconut Syrup was (is) there. Not sure how readily available this stuff is elsewhere, but it was some kinda good!

COCONUTSYRUP-9Z.JPG

I like thick waffles, usually called Belgian, with fruit syrup, raspberry or apricot, made by the Summerland syrup people in the Okanagan, in B.C., Canada. It is pure fruit syrup and will make you think that you have died and that you have gone to heaven. :wub:

Edited by patricia