Dogon A.D.

John L

A few years ago, I heard a rumor that Berne was acquiring the copyright to Dogon A.D. and was planning to issue it on Screwgun just like he did Blue Boye. I was wondering why it never came out.

That is an interesting question.

Edited by John L

Is this going to finally make it to CD?

I thought this was reissued on CD on Black Lion many years ago.

Might you be thinking of Coon Bid'ness?

Another criminally badass album. Was it reissued on Black Lion, though? From what I can recall, there were two Freedom CD reissues (the most recent one had new packaging and probably a remaster--that's the one I have).

Edit to say this is the first time I've ever heard this album. And it's rocking me hard.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I love Dogon A.D. to death! I enjoy it often. :wub:

I transferred my Arista LP to CDR, along with the wonderful track from the same session that was, for some reason, released on Coon Bid'ness called "The Hard Blues". I wonder how the MP3s sound compared to my somewhat flawed original?...

Chuck, 'Reflections' is the one I was thinking of. I know I had the vinyl of 'Dogon A.D.' back in the day. Jerry Gordon at Third Street Jazz in Philly got all of those Arista/Freedom releases really cheaply, and sold them for like $2.99.

Chuck, 'Reflections' is the one I was thinking of. I know I had the vinyl of 'Dogon A.D.' back in the day. Jerry Gordon at Third Street Jazz in Philly got all of those Arista/Freedom releases really cheaply, and sold them for like $2.99.

Reflections is Coon Bid'ness (and the circle of life goes on and on).

Edited by ep1str0phy

Forgive me, but is that download link on the Screwgun site now gone?

It's there - at the very bottom of the page.

Ha! Know what it was? I had Norton Internet Security set to block ads. I changed that setting and the link then appeared. Never had that happen before.

:tup

Thanks for tipping us off. I'm listening now and starting to get into it. Any thoughts on whether the other material on Screwgun is worth the price of the download?

Based on AMG's recommendation I downloaded one of the 5 CDs from the Empire Box - '7X'. I thought for $5.99 it was worth a try but I was very dissappointed. Perhaps I should have read the Penguin Guide to Jazz's review of the box set before deciding whether to buy it.

Their view, and mine, is that it has the feel of a rehearsal rather than a final session. Whilst it has one or two nice moments it's hard to stay interested for nearly an hour.

However the music is over 20 years old so perhaps Tim Berne's doing more interesting things now. I'm not writing someone off after listening to one recording.

Can anyone else say what he's doing now and how it compares with his old stuff?

Can anyone else say what he's doing now and how it compares with his old stuff?

While I do like the Empire Box stuff, Berne is making the best music of his career now, I think--some of the most exciting jazz of this decade, IMO. Check out Science Friction, that's the one that made me a fan. But pretty much any disc that teams Berne with drummer Tom Rainey is great.