BFT31 Disk1 - The answer thread

tjobbe

I've tried to cover some BFT themes throughout the two discs. First I've tried an All-European disc (which I believe has worked out quite fine although not 100% but who cares), second to cover somehow all BT participants home countries (was not that difficult), third try smaller European labels only and last but not least I put a broad variety of music on that I love to hear on a day-to-day basis which was hard to do because of all the artists and tracks that still haven't made it but should have somehow deserved to get noted…oh and forgot: it had to be somehow car stereo compatible as that's where I verified the mix

;)

All in all, I hope you enjoyed listening to the discs as much as I enjoyed compiling them for you.

Track 1: Blindfold test #1 (from Modern sounds of the West, 1954) Marty Paich Sextet feat. Conte Candoli (Lonehill Jazz re-issue from a 1954 Blue Note called Various Artists - Best from the West: Modern Sounds from California, Vol. 1)

The perfect start into a Blindfold test CD….I'm wondering that no one ever used that before as intro ;) … and a small contribution to Vince G. with Candoli and Budwig for those who missed him ;)

On here: Conte Candoli (tp) John Graas (flh) Charlie Mariano (as) Marty Paich (p) Monty Budwig (b) Stan Levey (dr) Leonard Feather (prod) Los Angeles, CA, December 31, 1954, originally on BN BLP 5059

g73855e9yd5.jpg

Track 2: Tenga Nina – (From same titled CD, 1996) Jacques Thollot Quartet feat. Henry Lowther (Nato)

777701.jpg

A short track, first on the disc is than followed by intensive improvisations later on 6 tracks before compositions take lead again, so have in mind that the other tracks are quite different from that "funny, short little melody". J.Thollot (dr), Noel Akchotè (git), Tony Hymas (p), Claude Tchamitchian (b) are playing here with Guest Henry Lowther (tp).

Recorded in spring 1995 at Studio Acousti, Paris and winter 1995 at Studio La Buissonne, Pernes les Fontaines.

http://www.musiquefrancaise.net/221_fiche.html

And here one track from his this album is available for download with his daughter voice accompanying: http://www.whiskyfun.com/music/La%20maison...20cellettes.mp3

Track 3: Prisma (from 8Bitar, 1961 ) Jan Johansson Trio (Heptagone)

The swinging side of Jan Johansson….

This is a kind of "thanks&tribute" to CDBABY and this forum as without that Big-O forum I wouldn't have bought the Organissimo disc, so I would not have encountered their shop website hence probably not bought any of those Jan Johansson discs and I now wouldn't even know what I've missed out….

Although I'm a huge Bill Evans fan, I must admit I do rate Jan Johansson overall performance and specially his bandwidth even slightly higher…The Trio: Jan Johansson (p), Gunnar Johnson (b), Ingvar Callmer (dr)

johansson4.jpg

Track 4: Huchedu Part 1 (From Quatre Fois Trios, 1996) Daniel Humair (Label Bleu, OOP…sorry- EDIT: just checked the label Bleu website at http://www.label-bleu.com/artist.php?lng=e&artist_id=19&c=d and they have it for sale again )

I like Swiss Daniel Humair's drumming during the sixities but this rather up-to-date stuff with specially the Joachim Kühn trio recordings on there being bit more funny rats like. All players tend to use their instruments rather as percussion as well. The trio playing here lines up with B. Chevillion (b) and Marc Ducret (g) accompanying Humair. The French Label Bleu is a good address for up-to-date European Jazz.

d21633j7m9r.jpg

Track 5: Gabriella (from Lars Gullin with Strings, 1964) Lars Gullin feat. Rolf Billberg (Sonet)

A rather rare Sonet CD re-issue and up to now I've never seen the CD on sale elsewhere outside of Sweden at all. The track is a Lars Gullin original and has been listed at Allmusic only recorded three times (within the last 3years) by Basso, Stenson and Bengt Rosengreen on Gullin Tribute recordings. Not necessarily the best Gullin record but an unusual one although there are some others where he played with Rolf Billberg on Dragon but I do not have those. That was a last minute BT entry as I got the disc two days before the final compilation from Swedish online shop www.cdon.com which I can recommend for Skandinavian Jazz in general as they ship quite cheap within EU but sorry not to US.

strings.jpg

EDIT: I need to correct myself here a little bit as I just found a lengthier version of that song as well featured with Strings and Billberg on a Swedish re-issue of Portrait of my Pals...recorded 1964 as well and I own this as well ;) to much disc im my collection meanwhile

Track 6: You didn't know me (from Confessions, 2005) Linda Sharrock (Quinton)

Here is Madame Linda Sharrock with her first record after seven years of silence together with french line-up Stephan Oliva (p) and Claude Tchamitchian (b). This was the easiest –if you can say that at all- track on the record. The rest is less accessible but her voice is always catching you and forces to listen…. Or skip NEXT button ;)

B0001WGEUW.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

BTW: the record was just rewarded the Hans Koller price as CD of the year http://www.hanskollerpreis.at/_Cd_of_the_Year/2005.htm and she is just up to release another record with leader Wolfgang Puschnig on Quinton Records with release date Jan 06. (it's a follow-up of the 2001 release called Chants)

Track 7: Kobra (from Mauve, 2002) Arkadi Shilkloper, Alec Corrêa, Georg Breinschmid (Quinton)

B00005PJHD.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

A Russian Waldhorn (frenchhorn) player who also plays Alpine Horn, a Brazilian guitarist playing percussion on his guitar and an Austrian bass player make a great mix! And that CD got the Hans Koller price 2002 ;)

Track 8: Traveller (Czeck it Out, 1996) Rudy Linka (git), George Mraz (b), Marvin "Smitty" Smith (dr) (ENJA)

A very versatile guitar player who learned his lessons obviously well from Abercrombie (as well as he did several recodings together with him, one also on Quinton Records where John Scofield also attends as guest… but as Mike owns that one ;) that I like better, so I've taken one track from his earlier first of the two not that mature ENJA recordings). Also recommended his duet recordings with fellow Czech countryman George Mraz on bass.

d363131fk0w.jpg

Track 9: Satin Doll (from Jankowskinetik, 1970) Horst Jankowski Quartet (MPS)

B00009S7V4.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Inspired by the Catharina Valente thread recently, I decided to add a track from her musical director during the 60/70 Horst Jankowski. I also always linked his name with the way she plays as well with the 70's TV shows I found boring as a kid, but his MPS Jazz record (as well as his other re-release from 2003) are quite enjoyable and this version of Satin Doll has immediately reminded me of the way Big Oscar Peterson plays.

Line-up:acoustic guitar: Hans Wenzel,piano: Horst Jankowski,double bass: Götz Wendland,drums: Branislav Kovacek

Track 10: Too Trite (The three Sopranos 1999) Kühn/Daniels/DeFranco& hr BigBand (hrMedia)

Seldom heard.. three Clarinettists as there are Buddy DeFranco, Rolf Kühn and Eddie Daniels are playing within a Big Band led by Kurt Bong with arrangements mainly from previous hr Big Band members . I've chosen not necessarily the best track from that album, but the one where all three played their part as well its only track where one of the big band members, Claes Crona (p), gets a solo.

The Frankfurt based Hessischer Radio Big Band is frequently recording records and has now one out (that I do not yet own but is already on want list) with songs from Walter Becker and Donald Fagen…

3385027.jpg

Edited by tjobbe

and part two...

Track 11 : Andantino (from Straight Four, 1999) Thomas Stabenow, Ack van Rooyen, Johannes Enders, Mario Gonzi (Bassic Sound 018)

The Europeans tend to often mix their "classical" heritage with Jazz…this here features Dutch Ack van Rooyen on trumpet and German Johannes Enders on Tenor with a famous Jazz Composer Claude Debussy piece that is originally indented for a string quartet so its here transcribed one-by-one into the jazz quartet version. As the liner notes state: this was already prepared for a Jazz arrangement, you only needed to put your improvisations on top. The first of a set of four BFT-31 tracks from Thomas Stabenow's own record label Bassic Sound.

018.gif

Track 12: Air, Love & Vitamine (title Track from last CD, 2004) Wolfgang Muthspiel, Marc Johnson, Brian Blade (Quinton)

B000285KS2.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Muthspiel is a versatile player and always good in what he plays.. not necessarily always straight ahead jazz . This is his second recording with that trio where he uses current material compared to before playing Jazz Standards. Unfortunately the trio broke up. As I'm a huge Pat Metheny and Gary Burton fan and as I tried to avoid a direct reference to both in that BFT, but I choose one player who also grown-up in the Gary Burton Kindergarden for Berklee College of Music. This one here was a kind of link back to his music, the title track composed by late Harry Pepl. As I 've discussed about Music&Taste with the producer of that records during the past three years quite often, I know that he shares a similar background of jazz and pop listening so you can call him a kind of musical twin ;), which is why I sometimes feel he produces the stuff just for me !

EDIT: one of his first apperance on disc was on a Gary Burton GRP record (Cool Nights shouldn't get more than three stars) where he played some Metheny composition done for this record exclusively

Track 13: Samba JS (from A winter's tale, 1993) Jacques Thollot (dr), Francois Jenny-Clark (b), Tony Hymas (p) (Nato)

The most optimistic track on that record and I had a hard time to choose this or one from another Nato record called Source Bleu disc with Hymas/Laurence/Coe …. Finally this one here made it.

One comment on the piano player.. he's also known supporting Hard Rock musicians in his earlier carreer and played often with Jeff Beck (from where I knew his name…) which might be the reason why he tends to play to conventional and "lightweight". Having also classical education as background, he seems to be the "complete" pianist.

This CD seems to be a set of tracks originally recorded already 1982 but waited 11 years for its release to disc. Nevertheless, he has studied classic composition as well as recorded one pop hit with Phd in 1982 and he was recently featured on the Minnesota sure Seine festival with his new quartet that got some notion here on the board as well. http://www.surseine.com/musica_tony_hymas.html

777725.jpg

Track 14: Ganglek fran Älvdalen ( from Jazz par Svenska, 1963) Jan Johannson & George Riedel (Heptagone)

johansson1.jpg

Couldn't resist adding a second one from his best recording ever with a Jazz adoption of old Swedish folk songs. The theme here is also picked up again more often e.g. in a lengthier form on e.g. a track called Emigrantvisa.

Just recently the Heptagone label (founded by Johansson sons) has re-issued this as a single disc with Jazz par Svenska on it only but with MP3 of the recording as a whole including all cutouts of the recording session. This shows specially the folk heritage that Johansson has woven into his music compared to Track#3 being a nicely swinging Jazz Trio. This version is from the original Two-fer with Jazz par Ruska as second album….check-out the currently active thread around this.

Track 15: Fronteira (from Gaitapontocom, 2004) Renato Borghetti (Atracao)

Brazilian bandeon/accordion player Renato Borghetti is not playing straight ahead jazz but more a mixture of folk and Brazilian rhythms with jazz. His songs often follow some more Pop forms but are far away from any "Copacabana happiness". I originally wanted to include his European CD release from 2005 but I decided not to add another one of those Quinton's in.

When it comes to Accordion and jazz linked together I prefer French Richard Galliano.

The Band:

Renato Borghetti: gaita ponto

Daniel Sá: violão e guitarra

Pedro Figueiredo: sax e flauta

Juarez Ferreira: pandeiro e bateria

gaitapontocom.jpg at www.renatoborghetti.com.br

Track 16: Touchez pas au Grisbi (Filmes de ma vie, compilation, 1995) Tony Coe (cl), Benoit Delbeq (p), Steve Argüelles (dr) and Claude Tchamitchian (b) (Nato)

A small tribute to my second love… Film (and as well featuring another excellent Nato disc with an excellent Tony Coe on clarinette).

The original track composed by Jean Wiener is featured on the Jazz In Paris re-issue series and is the title track of the 1954 film by famous Jacques Becker with J.Gabin and J.Moreau. Becker died much to young….

777718.jpg

Track 17: Sax no end (title of same LP, on MPS two originals compilation, 1967) CBBB (MPS, Universal as released in the US on Verve)

One of my favourite Big Bands and one of best of all time:

Beside late Francy Boland (p) and Kenny Clarke (dr), we have some Crème de la Crème of European Jazz artists (but not all are Europeans ;) ):

Idrees Sulieman, Shake Keane, Benny Bailey and Jimmy Deuchar (tp),

Ake Person, Nat Peck, Erik van Lier and Jiggs Wigham (tb),

Derek Humble (as), Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott and Carl Drewo (ts), Sahib Shihab (bs) and yes Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis playing the Solo on that track,

With Jimmy Woode (b) as one half of the Rhythm section and Kenny Clare (dr) the other half.

Track 18: Dexterity (Jazz Clarinet 2001) T. Stabenow (b), Stephan Holstein (cl), John Engels (dr) (Bassic Sound)

A classic Charlie Parker tune featured on BT4 already. I always liked the clarinets and specially that bass clarinet is seldom heard. Stephan Holstein plays it on another track of that record as well. (although the liner notes do state it's a Dexter Gordon track but I dot quite believe that…)

017.gif

Track 19: Guitaristic ( from Trio, Sextet& All Stars, June 1955) Henri Renaud feat. Renè Thomas (orig. Vogue Masters)

The trio and sextet recordings, previously released on 4 track EP's only, compiled on this disc are way better than the all stars section at the end but still all in all a very enjoyable disc.

The Sextet playing here is lined up with Jean-Louis Chautemps (ts), Christian Kellens (tb), Rene Thomas (git), Henri Renaud (p), Benoit Quersin (b) and Jacques David (dr).

B000023YQT.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Track 20: Turn out the Stars ( from …Play Bill Evans, 2002) The Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra feat Jim McNealy (Stunt/Sundance)

This is to me by far the best non-Evans interpretation of this classic ballad. It's also the final track of the album as well as the Grande Finale of the BT31 Disk. Jim McNealy acts as the musical director of the Band and on that track plays the piano himself as well. For me this Danish Stunt album belongs into the Must-Have category for Bill Evans fans and those who wanted to be one.

B000065C6J.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by tjobbe

Linka! For some reason I missed his gig here two years ago, but Mr. Bassman was there - and raved about it! Yes I have that other disc .... and like it very much and always wondered how his other records are.

Your theme was well conceived, and well executed, my hat is off!!!!

And I can see where you get all those Quinton CDs ... ;)

But: now that you had me swallow the bait you won't get away with telling me this is oop :bwallace:

... Must get hold of that 'Lars Gullin With Strings' :excited: .

check out that swedish capitol re-issue below as well where 6 out of 11 tracks are featuring Billberg on Alto plus small string septet line-up. Both are priced at bargain cost of 6€ and 9€ at cdon.com

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

Track 1: Blindfold test #1 (from Modern sounds of the West, 1954) Marty Paich Sextet feat. Conte Candoli (Lonehill Jazz re-issue from a 1954 Blue Note called Various Artists - Best from the West: Modern Sounds from California, Vol. 1)

The perfect start into a Blindfold test CD….I'm wondering that no one ever used that before as intro ;) … and a small contribution to Vince G. with Candoli and Budwig for those who missed him ;)

On here: Conte Candoli (tp) John Graas (flh) Charlie Mariano (as) Marty Paich (p) Monty Budwig (b) Stan Levey (dr) Leonard Feather (prod) Los Angeles, CA, December 31, 1954, originally on BN BLP 5059

g73855e9yd5.jpg

Forget to comment on this choice:

1. I have this (the Fresh Sound LP reissue) but didn't recognize it

2. I think only one board member has a copy of the original

3. Considering that LoneHill is on the black list of many a board member, it is daring you acknowledge posession and use of that CD

4. The blacklist may be the reason why most never heard this.

5. .... and never got the idea to use this item, which was subtitled "A musical blindfold test" on the cover of the first LP, which may be unknown to some.

6. Great choice - I have to dig this out again. Maybe Mighty Quinn would take care of this if it weren't for that LoneHill CD.

g73855e9yd5.jpg

2. I think only one board member has a copy of the original

You rang? :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have never heard of almost any of these groups/musicians but this is one of the BFTs that stayed in the car stereo for over a month just for pure listening pleasure. Even though I can't name the musicians, tracks 3 and 10 especially do it for me and make this CD great.

Great BFT Tjobbe.

EDIT: AND 17!!!! That sax soli is ridiculous!

Edited by cannonball-addict