Jean Pierre Leloir

Jean-Pierre Leloir was ubiquitous on the French jazz (and other music events) scene for the second half of the past century. Whenever anything interesting happened, Leloir's mustaches and cameras were on the scene. I think he has retired by now.

Wish his book 'Du Jazz Plein les Yeux' had been better edited.

Some of his excellent images are visible on his site

Leloir did some magnificient photos... one of the very best, in my opinion, as far as jazz photography is concerned!

Here's one of the most recent "hors séries" Jazz in Paris releases using an Leloir photo (others in the booklet, too, or at least one other):

B000BRP1CE.08._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(release recommended by yours truly, too, btw!)

...on page 62 of the book there is a photograph of who I'm sure is Charles McPherson but the caption says Bobby McPherson as does the index......does he have a twin brother that plays alto named Bobby or is this an error, twice?

m~

Don't have the Leloir book with me right now, but I'm sure this is an error. There is only one Charles McPherson ;)

Jean-Pierre Leloir was ubiquitous on the French jazz (and other music events) scene for the second half of the past century. Whenever anything interesting happened, Leloir's mustaches and cameras were on the scene. I think he has retired by now.

Wish his book 'Du Jazz Plein les Yeux' had been better edited.

Some of his excellent images are visible on his site

That's right Jean-Pierre Leloir has archives since 1954! He always took photos with Leica cameras (perfect). Now he has more than 25 000 photos in his archives! I've met him and can say you he has a good organization: all people that appear on his photos have different entry.

Yes brownie : big moustaches, and also smoking a pipe. :P

Martial Solal composed in the 60s "Leloir est cher" (= Leloir's prices are too high), allusion to the french departement the Loir-et-Cher ! :)

And a merry one to you and yours too, Jeff. I hope that you get this book soon! Maybe some day we'll be collecting the real photos. Peace, Matt

Hey,Matt:

I'd like to find a copy of that book, too!

Hope you don't beat me to a local copy. :g

Once you start collecting jazz photo books you can't stop-believe me...

BTW, Merry Christmas, Double M.

• 11 years later...

Leloir/Leeb - Jazzick

Wonderful photos, but the book format is not  good for the numerous 4/3 (?) shots.

It's a bit annoying that the captions only mention one name even when there are multiple musicians.

But the most annoying part is the text. Leeb, a humorist who used to make me laugh when I was 3 by his African and Chinese impersonations is certainly a great jazz fan, but there is no tact and knowledge in all those tidbits.  Except one or two good words, the rest is cringe-making.

Still waiting for a  definitive book about this major photographer.

There is also a softcover book of Ray Charles photos by Leloir.

His photos also appear in Berendt's "Jazz Optisch" and Abe's "Jazz Giants"

There is also a mid-60's French book (art cover no dust jacket; author something like Malson; no that's wrong, not Lucien Malson?) illustrated with Leloir photos (if I can't remember the author, I may be wrong about the photos also).

Also, softcover book photographing soul musicians

Also, soft cover, almost magazine format "Jazz Rock" (or something like that, maybe "Photo Rock"?)

Edited by bakeostrin
mention additional book

That "Jazzick" doesn't sound that promising if the captions (which often are a key part of the book) mar the book to THAT extent.

Anyone of you out there aware of the book "Portraits Jazz" by Jean-Pierre Leloir (with texts by Stéphane Koechlin) published by Editions Fetjaine in 2010?

Very, very nice, covering all eras, and contrary to many books covering the golden age of jazz the majority of the photos is in color. Good texts (quoting numerous reminiscences by Leloir) too.

Adding to the other publications mentioned by Baker, the vast majority of the photos in the "Nouvelle Encyclopédie du Blues" by Gérard Herzhaft (published by Grancher in 1984) comes from Jean-Pierre Leloir.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Seeing a Big Beat Steve post inspires my memory; I was thinking of the book "Le Jazz et see Musiciens" by Gerard Montarlot (at least it begins with "M" as in Malson); is a pictorial (without jacket) hardcover featuring Leloir photos (in color, I believe).  Medium format (not a quarto), not a collector's book (but does not sell for collector's price).

Edited by bakeostrin
typos, some of which I may not have caught

I can't recall having seen that Leloir/Leeb book.

(EDit:) Just checked Amazon and a few sample pages of that book. I guess I could live with those quips by Michel Leeb for a time. But a whole book? IMHO the way the book is layouted it gives too much priority to Leeb, and the Leloir pics loook just like a vehicle for Leeb's jokes (which BTW even on those few sample pages aren't that funny throughout). Pity ...
On amazon.fr (of all places!) the book isn't even listed under Leloir's name. So a "Leloir" search won't yield anything!

Brownie, as you are close to the source and more knowledgeable about this subject than anybody else around here, how would you rate that book compared to the Leloir/Koechlin "Portraits Jazz" book that I mentioned (ie. with regard to the photographic content)? Just to get an overall idea ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The Leloir/Leeb displays more photos (no colors). Those Leloir books NEED more editing. 

I have not seen the 'Jazz Images' since it was published. Did not feel like buying it.

Did you see the jazzimagesrecords.com blog they have? Very nice and well worth digging through the various sections...

Just bookmarked the site. Thanks, Brownie (et une Bonne Année à toi ;))

I think I understand what you mean with the Leloir books needing more editing. I like the "Portraits Jazz" book for what it is and for what is in there but from the start the book left me wondering what ELSE there must be in his archives that might give even deeper visual insights.