Hutcherson's "Oblique"

Larry Kart

I've had this on LP since it came out in Japan in 1980, and it's a gem. Hutcherson and Hancock are in great form; there are two fascinating Joe Chambers pieces (that his playing is superb throughout goes without saying); but I think I'm most taken by the late Albert Stinson's bass solo on "My Joy" -- perhaps the scariest 60 seconds of music I know. Brilliantly conceived and executed -- IMO Stinson, Russell Thorne, and Gary Peacock were the three most gifted post-LaFaro bassists -- it's scary because it's at once so damn logical and so damn strange (a la haunted or tormented). Every time I hear it, I tell myself that's it's silly to think that this turbulent swatch of music more or less predicts Stinson's death two years later at age 25 of a drug overdose, but it feels that way every time.

A stunning, affecting album. Surprisingly direct, granted the title. In my opinion, this album bests "Happenings" as the best Hutcherson/Hancock quartet--there's just more adventure here. There's a definite sense of "emotional intution" about the combo work, bolstered (as others have pointed out) by Stinson's potent, supple basslines. All of it is worth hearing; some of it is just heartbreaking. Eminently enjoyable, if not as outright mindblowing as some of Hutch's other Blue Notes.

I had been listening to Oblique, Happenings, and Total Eclipse quite a bit over the past month or so. Stinson's playing does make Oblique stand out among the three. I will certainly go back and listen to the bass solo on "My Joy" with all of this in mind.

As far as Hutcherson's 1960s Blue Note appearances go, I am almost entirely convinced now that Judgement! is THE one. I started another thread about "Siete Ocho" last week, but the album as a whole is so "right on".

I've been a huge Albert Stinson fan for years.

For those wanting to hear more of him you should check out the recent Pacific Jazz Piano Trio's Mosaic Select

(Disc 3 with Clare Fischer with two previously unreleased tracks) and the Joe Pass Mosaic set (Disc 1) and some Chico Hamilton and Charles Loyd discs if you can find them. There is also great John Handy CD with Stinson on it (but the name of it escapes me -- I think it is now OOP).

What a great sound he had and to die at such a young age -- similar to Scott LaFaro!!

Oblique is one of my favorites too -- have the Japanese CD and bought the RVG too -- love the RVG!!!

I had been listening to Oblique, Happenings, and Total Eclipse quite a bit over the past month or so. Stinson's playing does make Oblique stand out among the three. I will certainly go back and listen to the bass solo on "My Joy" with all of this in mind.

As far as Hutcherson's 1960s Blue Note appearances go, I am almost entirely convinced now that Judgement! is THE one. I started another thread about "Siete Ocho" last week, but the album as a whole is so "right on".

Re: Judgment... definitely a scorcher. Surely my favorite vibes/piano quartet (anywhere)... has to be some of the most energizing, organic group interplay ever recorded on Blue Note (sorry to slide off-topic). On the matters at hand--I would have loved to have heard Stinson play Hill's music. There aren't too many bassists who wouldn't sound (rhythmically, harmonically) redundant in that context--he was/is one of them.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Thanks, Sidewinder. I did a search to see if there had been much said about "Oblique" before, but for some reason (no doubt a goof on my part) that thread didn't come up.

And thanks, Steve. Reminds me of a thought that I and others I'm sure have had -- that someone should sift through Jim Sangrey's vast bag of posts and somehow assemble it into a manuscript. I did that with my previously published stuff that seemed worth preserving, and it worked out well, but Jim is an absolute one-off -- perhaps the shrewdest, most curious, actual player who is willing and able to capture his insights in words at a very high level ... and at length, too, of course!

And thanks, Steve. Reminds me of a thought that I and others I'm sure have had -- that someone should sift through Jim Sangrey's vast bag of posts and somehow assemble it into a manuscript. I did that with my previously published stuff that seemed worth preserving, and it worked out well, but Jim is an absolute one-off -- perhaps the shrewdest, most curious, actual player who is willing and able to capture his insights in words at a very high level ... and at length, too, of course!

:tup

This is my favorite of the Hutch piano/vibes/drums/bass records...I think better than HAPPENINGS by quite a large margin.

RVG sounds fine but this is one instance where I prefer the older version of the CD...something is funny on the RVG, though it could simply be that the higher sampling resolution is bringing out flaws in the master tape that were there all along (and thus technically it could be the more "correct" sound). I think the old CD sounds fine. The original recording is a trifle dark and nothing will change that.

I'd love a King pressing of this one...I only have the Kenny Burrell FREEDOM title in that series but it sounds fantastic.

Edited by DrJ

I've been a huge Albert Stinson fan for years.

For those wanting to hear more of him you should check out the recent Pacific Jazz Piano Trio's Mosaic Select

(Disc 3 with Clare Fischer with two previously unreleased tracks) and the Joe Pass Mosaic set (Disc 1) and some Chico Hamilton and Charles Loyd discs if you can find them. There is also great John Handy CD with Stinson on it (but the name of it escapes me -- I think it is now OOP).

What a great sound he had and to die at such a young age -- similar to Scott LaFaro!!

Oblique is one of my favorites too -- have the Japanese CD and bought the RVG too -- love the RVG!!!

You can also hear Stinson playing with the Miles Davis quintet on the April 7, 1967 Berkeley concert.

Guy

Thanks for the correction on the Oblique provenance...it wasn't a '60s release. I should have said one of the top 5 Blue Note 60s sessions (that I've heard).

Also heartily endorse all the praise for Stinson's work on this date. This album was the first time I ever heard him, and I immediately wanted to find out what I'd missed, before realizing how tragically short his career was (seems to be a disturbing trend for some jazz bassists...Blanton, LaFaro, Chambers, Stinson...)

WOW - I'd love to hear Stinson with Miles Davis!!!!! I never heard of that concert at Berkeley :excited:

BTW, I think the John Handy CD with Stinson is called "The New View" -- it's a good one!! I think it was mentioned in the Oblique RVG booklet (which I don't have with me here at work).

Also, I don't want to hijack this thread or get too off topic but if there are any fans of Scott LaFaro out there --there is a new Japanese CD entitled "1960" of previously unreleased material from a trio session with Scott LaFaro, Steve Kuhn and Pete LaRoca. It's a short CD (30 minutes) but it has two interesting takes of them running through Mile's "So What". Interesting to hear Scott LaFaro's take on that tune.

Edited by JohnT