BFT31 The bonus disk Answers

tjobbe

BFT31 Bonus Tracks

and here's the rest just right before Christmas.....

The whole record is guiding the live audience through a decade of Jazz from the Ragtime beginnings to modern electronic Jazz. Its quite a nice travel although I prefer not to mix the styles that much. The Vienna Art Orchestra definitely belongs to the forefront of modern Big Band sounds:

Anna Lauvergnac – voice (not heard on that track)

Thorsten Benkenstein, Matthieu Michel, Bumi Fian, Thomas Gansch - trumpets

Robert Bachner, Christian Muthspiel, Ed Partyka - trombones

Klaus Dickbauer, Florian Bramböck, Andy Scherrer, Harry Sokal, Herwig Gradischnig - reeds

Martin Koller - guitar

Georg Breinschmid - bass (acoustic rhythm section)

Mario Gonzi - drums (acoustic rhythm section)

Robert Riegler - bass (electric rhythm section) (not heard on that track)

Thomas Lang - drums (electric rhythm section) (not heard on that track)

B00005PJHB.03.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bonus Track 2: Zanzibar (from Mel Martin plays Benny Carter, 1994) Mel Martin, and Benny Carter himself, together with Jeff Chambers, Roger Kellaway, Harold Jones (ENJA)

enj9041.gif

This track is taken from a disc mixed with three live tracks feat. Benny Carter and the rest –six more- are Studio recordings with Mel Martin, Kenny Barron/Rufus Reid and Victor Lewis. All in all it's a very enjoyable disc.

Bonus Track 3: What's Going On (from same CD, 1994) Dieter Ilg (b), Marc Copland (p), Jeff Hirshfield (dr) (Jazzline)

d22279x4y10.jpg

This is from an already out-of-business Cologne Record label called Jazzline (ran by the Alex Merck Music Group). Although this track is a bit lengthy, I always had the feeling that the three have met Marwin Gaye's tone quite well. To me Marwin Gaye always sounded very jazzy in his songs. Unfortunately this is OOP since a longer time. Dieter Ilg and Marc Copland have recorded one more trio album during this period.

Bonus track 4: Con Alma ( from Masterpieces 1995) Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination and Brass (MPS recorded 1972-77), originally on an 1974 LP called Scenes, Live at the Ronnie Scott's

One of the few Herbolzheiner re-issue currently available on MPS but even not a re-issue of a complete record but a compilation only….., here I selected one Dizzy classics.

I hope there will be more soon, as there are many great albums on Vinyl only as this is a sampler containing tracks of various LP recordings of the seventies,

!!Sorry!! guys, just checked and found I copied the wrong personnel listing from another track of the compilation, here the correct one:

TRUMPET:

Kenny Wheeler, Art Farmer, Palle Mikkelborg, Ronnie Simmonds, Ack Van Rooyen

FLUTE, ALTO & SOPRANO SAX :

Ferdinant Povel

TROMBONES :

Ake Persson, Jiggs Whigham, Rudi Fuesers, Peter Herbolzheimer

ORGAN, SYNTHETISER, EL. PIANO :

Dieter Reith

GUITAR :

Philip Catherine

BASS EL. BASS :

Gunther Lenz, Jean Warland

DRUMS :

Kenny Clare

CONGAS PERCUSSIONS :

Sabu Marinez

MISC PERC, EL PIANO, :

Horst Mühlbradt

3366350.jpg ,

BTW they show a Herbolzheimer feature on german TV WDR3 but very very late http://www.jazzecho.de/page_92546.jsp

Bonus Track 5: Phrase Second (from Sometime Suite, 2001) Munich Jazz Orchestra & Kenny Wheeler (Bassic Sound)

026.jpgA very ECM'ish sounding record.....

Kenny Wheeler - flh

Franz Weyerer - tp

Claus Reichstaller - tp,flh

Merit Ostermann - vocals

Johannes Herrlich - tb

Johannes Enders - ss,as

Thomas Zoller - bs

Roberto Di Gioia - p

Peter O'Mara - g

Thomas Stabenow - bass

Falk Willis - drums

Bonus Track 6: Home (Live in Tokyo, 1996) Michel Petrucciani, Steve Gadd, Anthony Jackson (Dreyfus)

…I know that this type of song is not everyone's taste but I liked the nicely floating song from the first moment I heard it, Allmusic calls it a "lilting ballad" ;) so it's a very personal choice. It's a kind of either love or hate thing…..needless to say I love it

1392271.jpg

EDIT: I did some "tests" upfront and track 3/5/6 from that bonus selection had heavily different responses that led from oh great to arghh ...so I took them out there.

Bonus Track 7: All Blues (live with the Berlin All Stars, 1966) Annie Ross &Pony Pointdexter (MPS) (as its filed under Annie Ross….)

602498112571.jpg

Yeah ! (Mike said it all! so no further comment needed from my side ;))

vocals: Pony Poindexter & Annie Ross (not heard on that track)

alto saxophone: Pony Poindexter, Leo Wright

flute: Leo Wright

acoustic guitar: André Condouant

piano: Fritz Pauer

double bass: Jimmy Woode

drums: Joe Nay

soprano saxophone: Pony Poindexter

trumpet: Carmell Jones

Bonus Track 8: For heavens sake (Live at the Feuerwache Mannheim, 1995) "Just Musician" Frank Foster, Professor Jürgen Seefelder, Professor Thomas Stabenow, Professor Keith Copeland (Bassic Sound again but this is OOP, sorry)

A very intensive interplay of Frank Foster with the three academics…

015.jpg

Bonus Track 9: Albert's waltz (Live at Berlin jazz Galerie, 1970) Fritz Pauer (p), Jimmy Woode (b), Billy Brooks (dr) (and just another one from MPS)

Pauer&Woode again ……

602498112632.jpg

and just for fun:

Bonus Track 10: H and B Guitar Boogie (from Great Guitars, 1975) Herb Ellis and Barney Kessel, with -as completing the great guitar trio- Charlie Byrd but not featured here (Concord). Sidemen are brother Joe Byrd on Bass and Wayne Philips on drums.

B0000006RW.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cheers……

Edited by tjobbe

An alto is featured prominently on Track #4, "Con Alma". Yet your personnel listings for that track do not indicate any reed players. So who's the featured player on this track?

sorry Marty, he got cut-out somehow:

FLUTE, ALTO & SOPRANO SAX : Ferdinant Povel

Here one link to the Scene LP via Philip Catherine's HOMEPAGE: http://users.skynet.be/fa548661/pages/engl...d/2/scenes.html

Edited by tjobbe

Yeah! My Man Pony! I'm working on his discography - it's a shame he wasn't recorded more often. He was in excellent company here, and honestly I cannot understand the aversive reactions to his vocals - there were more famous jazz musicians singing with far less vocal talent, and if you listen with an open mind: these guys capture the groove of the original on Miles' record so well, and the lyrics (by Oscar Brown Jr. IIRC) capture the mood and Pony hits the mood right there ......

This track is an excellent example how placing a single track out of its context can work its magic uninhibited: I never noticed how well they get that feeling when I listened to this track between the other tracks.

Pony played very nice stuff: get his Prestiges and the Epic all star sax encounter Pony's Express as long as you can find them - I just bought the Jingle Bell Jazz compilation just for one Pony track from the sessions of the latter album, it's the craziest rendition of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer you'll ever get to hear!

• 2 years later...