Beethoven String Quartets, Symphonies...

Guest Chaney

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Lon!

I deleted my Satie question as I wasn't sure that others would appreciate my dragging this thread off topic. Thanks for the recommendation, thought. I remember Jean-Yves Thibaudet from when he first hit the scene as a very young man. Really a critic's darling. I'd have no problem buying a set of Satie as played by this gentleman.

Edited by Chaney

Anyone familiar with the complete Beethoven set rec. 1969-72 by the Bartok String Quartet? I've had their middle quartets on Hungaroton LPs for years and remain impressed. For the late quartets, he said -- preparing to be hit very hard with a big stick -- I kind of like the Fine Arts. For some strange reason my LP set of the early quartets (also the Bartoks? I'm not sure) seems to have vanished, so I'm in the market for a complete set if a really satisfying one exists. Over the years I've had and dumped the Guarnieri (middle) and the Hollywood (late), probably several others that I don't recall now.

You dumped the Hollywood, Larry? Why? I like that one a lot.

That being said, I'm always in the market for more Beethoven and really appreciate threads such as this one. I need to check out the Bartok Quartet.

I do agree with those who've found the Emerson Quartet to be too smarmy; Schmaltz I can take (it can even be appropriate at times), but smarm is another thing...

About the Hollywood, I don't recall exactly why (it was some time ago), but I think it was that they struck me as too consistently plush and/or too focused on surmounting certain daunting challenges to their technical skill/coordination (which they arguably met as well as anyone) but with too little sense of tonal drama and danger/risk. The feeling all this left me with is that their Beethoven was boring, for all their expertise,and the late Beethoven quartets aren't boring. Also, the LP pressings I had weren't the greatest.

i know Jos from his previous Sony Vivarte stuff tho'-- fug me for being a "douche" (as Gautier would say)-- i STILL haven't heard his Schubert symphonies set, released only on Walloon Sony or something equally ridiculous.

The Immerseel/Anima Eterna (that's his name in Latin!) set of Schubert's symphonies is great! Amazon.de sells it for only EUR 20 - but it's not too expensive from amazon.com either. All of his orchestra's recordings are a thrill, he now records for Zigzag, a French label: Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Strauss, Liszt, Mozart .... a Ravel disc is up next.

The Schubert piano trios he did for SONY with Bylsma and Beths are excellent, too.

To get back to topic:

This one is high on my wish list:

B00005GA0G.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wasn't Beethoven 1/8 African?

I dunno, but there was a violinist of African descent in his circle: george_bridgetower.jpg George Augustus Polgreen Bridgetower, the son of a freed Barbados slave and a Polish woman from Galicia - he and Beethoven premiered the A major sonata in May 1803. An autograph score in Bonn calls this the "Sonata per uno mulaticco lunattico" - no kidding! More here.

Edited by mikeweil

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't listened to it in years and don't have a copy handy - as I recall the section comes after a series of sustained notes and is a very sudden rhyhmic change. I will try to locate a performance and report back -

It's the 3rd variation in the second movement, the one in 12/32 time. And it swings!

• 7 years later...

Reviving this old thread...

Any recommendations for a "modern" (mid-1970s to date, decent but not necessarily audiophile quality sound, say) LvB string quartet cycle?

I currently own Vegh/Valois (excellent performances, S. Vegh's intonation sometimes suspect) and Budapest 1951-52 (ditto on performances, the UA sonics are a bit thin).

Often listened to the Alban Berg Qt. years ago, memory vague, enjoyed them but not sure where they rank.

Love the Suske's Mozart, haven't heard much about their Beethoven, a little dubious of Brilliant Classics (they've botched sonics on some reissues).

I respect the Emersons, but they'd probably be too "slick" for my taste. Takacs and Talich come to mind...I haven't kept up with post-2000 releases by various ensembles.

The Suske Quartet recordings are indispensable (have beneath Eterna vinyl the Edel Classics Box though never heard of sonic issues with the Brilliant Classics reissue) .... alternatively the last (early 80`s cycle) from the Smetana Quartet :

COCQ-84721.jpg

Definitely worth the search ....

I agree with Soulpope that the set by the Suske Quartet is outstanding.

Though I do not have the complete set by the Smetana Quartet, the Op.18 quartets by them are wonderful.

Quartetto Italiano does a fine job on all the quartets.

I also like the middle and late quartets by the Tokyo String Quartet which is available with excellent sound on SACD.

I have a number of Beethoven String Quartets on SACD by Quartet di Cremona. The performance is first rate, and audio quality is as good as it gets.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:41 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Thanks, I decided to stand pat.

Had to replace my CD player because the laser was failing. Even though I just use the player as a transport to a DAC, that apparently seriously harmed sound quality.

With the new setup, the UA Budapest sounds OK, no need for sonic upgrade (which I practically never do anyway).

• 9 months later...