Dizzy Gillespie Verve/Phillips Small Group Sessions

Ron S

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses, I'm in David's camp as I would perfer to see things included to make it a really complete set -- Diz/Getz, Diz/Stuff. Granted it would raise the price, but Dizzy is well worth it. Might wait to see the discography before I pull the trigger on this set. Like the fact that the Double Six sessions will be on, if true.

Edited by Matthew

I'm always bugging MC about the as well David!!! I hated the fact he excluded the Big Band tracks from one of the Jazz Crusaders LP's to stay within the "real" Jazz Crusaders mold for the set. Same with all the single cd's with bonus tracks from other LP's but not complete (just because he doesn't like them). But at the end of the day we all should be very thankful for all his efforts getting most of this music released at all.

• 5 weeks later...

The Stuff/Dizzy was part of the (terrific, mind me!) Stuff Smith set, and with Mosaic's (debatable) policy of not releasing sessions more than once, it's quite clear it couldn't be included again. Makes sense to me, as the Smith Mosaic was around until a couple of years ago. Also there was that Smith-Peterson-Gillespie 2CD release which included the Smith/Dizzy date, as well.

I am not really sure about this Verve/Phillips set... seems like too much of it has been around on single CDs - in the end I'll be weak and get it and probably love it, but this is not one I'll jump for right now.

The sound samples on the Mosaic site sound really good and this set has moved to the top of my list. I don't have much of this on CD (or vinyl)--in fact Dizzy is underrepresented in my collection. I have the Diz-Bird Uptown CD, a compilation of the RCA years, and the State Department Big Band sessions...so not a lot. Looking forward to becoming more acquainted with Diz!

My friend received his set Tuesday night and is ecstatic about it. He had a lot of this on cd and lp and he says the sound is fantastic, the booklet is great, and he wasn't even upset that one whole corner of the box was crushed by the shipper.

I was a bit upset about that, but Mosaic is of course mailing him a replacement. Can't beat their service.

I'm tempted by this one too but it's way down the order. Diz I would guess breaks little new ground but what I've heard from these sessions ( Have Trumpet will excite, Greatest Trumpet and odds`N`sods on the Dizzy's Diamonds compilation) do make me wonder if this might turn out to be a choice set.

I'm tempted by this one too but it's way down the order. Diz I would guess breaks little new ground but what I've heard from these sessions ( Have Trumpet will excite, Greatest Trumpet and odds`N`sods on the Dizzy's Diamonds compilation) do make me wonder if this might turn out to be a choice set.

Actually, Diz does break new ground with Bossa Nova here in this set, only the sessions weren't released until after others got bossa nova out there and made a name of it. . . .

He also fuses some carribean style material into his small group jazz conception which I don't think was often done before him . . . .

Some really cool albums amongst those in this set.

Actually, Diz does break new ground with Bossa Nova here in this set, only the sessions weren't released until after others got bossa nova out there and made a name of it. . . .

He also fuses some carribean style material into his small group jazz conception which I don't think was often done before him . . . .

Some really cool albums amongst those in this set.

I love this Limelight album (not included, alas):

8568616.jpg

My favorite of the Philips stuff are "The New Wave" and "On the French Riviera" --both damned good.

I think I have all the stuff in this set. . . . Going to be a good one.

Among his Phillips output, I've always dug the soundtrack from "The Cool World" the most. Some great fiery Diz on that one. Second, I guess would be the "Something Old, Something New" session.

So what do people think about the set so far? I just received mine today (#452), and have just about worked my way through Disc 1. The sound is pretty good. The material with Mobley is as good as I had hoped, though I'd like to know what the hell "Hey Pete! Let's Eat More Meat" is all about; I haven't read the booklet yet, so maybe there is something about it in there. The material from the 12/17/57 session is absolutely stellar. Very nice arrangements and tight interplay. So far this set is a winner, IMO. :tup

Got the set but haven't cracked it open yet... It's on my list.... Sounds promising...

So what do people think about the set so far? I just received mine today (#452), and have just about worked my way through Disc 1. The sound is pretty good. The material with Mobley is as good as I had hoped, though I'd like to know what the hell "Hey Pete! Let's Eat More Meat" is all about; I haven't read the booklet yet, so maybe there is something about it in there. The material from the 12/17/57 session is absolutely stellar. Very nice arrangements and tight interplay. So far this set is a winner, IMO. :tup

• 1 month later...

Just for Information:

the european Universal Gillespie Mosaic is now showing up at amazon.de and jpc.de. Price tag right now at jpc.de for the 7CD box set is 80€ while amazon still charges the recommended retail price of 96€

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks for the info! I'm sure you keep us posted... shall we bet how low it will drop? Anything below 50 would be great! :g

Vultures! Somehow I still wonder if Mosaic gets screwed with this deal, or how this exactly works... on the other hand, the number per box is still limited, thus if the Universal ones are gone, there will be only the Mosaic ones... though looking how slow some sets seem to sell of late, I still wonder - in the Universal sells their part and Mosaic has to quit after 10 years because of the licenses, yet there would be another 2000 in the limited edition...

Re: the lack of really rare material in this boxset , one thing Mosaic might have done is issue the music that was actually heard in The Cool World film . Why the Philips soundtrack LP ( included in this boxset ) is not the music heard in the film is explained by Dizzy ,

" On the soundtrack of the movie The Cool World in 1963 , all I did was play . They hired me to play the music which was written by Mal Waldron . Mal was so nervous and everything , he was almost depending on me to get it together , to assemble the different stages of it for the film . I told him , " No , man , you get it together and you tell me what to do because this is yours , and I'll do what you want . " He finally put it together , but he was pretty nervous about it . Then they wanted to make an album from the soundtrack , and I told them , " No , no... " I wouldn't go for that . I would go into the studio and make an album of the music . But I wouldn't be responsible for the soundtrack of the movie ; I would be responsible for the album . We added some things ; the album wasn't just like the film ; I put a little Gillespiana in there , you know . So that's why it came out very well , beautifully .

---To Be or Not to Bop , page 462 .

The band heard in the film consists of Dizzy with Yusef Lateef , Mal Waldron , Aaron Bell and Art Taylor . This music has never been available , and I don't think The Cool World has ever been available on VHS or DVD either .

TheCoolWorldMoviePoster.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...