Dizzy Gillespie Verve/Phillips Small Group Sessions

Ron S

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Guest Bixieland

I got it last Xmas and just this weekend have been diving in again. While I haven't had it for very long, I absolutely love it. My Diz collection was pretty anemic, so this set was an essential, easy way to stock up. The only thing I previously had was the Cool World soundtrack. Overall, the music is consistently fun and energetic and the Diz plays great. Nice mix, too. I fell Dizzy, even better than Armstrong, had a talent for bringing it to the masses (Oo-shoo-be-doo-be) but keeping it smokin' hot. If you have any interest in Dizzy I can't imagine letting this one go. Eeee-ssential.

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing this again over the weekend, but didn't get any further than disc 1... the thing is, I always get side-tracked and want to hear the rest of Dizzy's output for Granz in those years (in between the first two albums on disc 1 of the Mosaic, he recorded a huge load of other great sessions).

So I played discs 3-5 of the Granz Jam Sessions, the very fine Dizzy/Getz album, Afro, and then started with the big band sides from 1956/57... to be continued... (btw, I'm well aware I skipped the date with Benny Carter... but those four discs of Verve Carter sessions are something else I'll want to listen in full again!)

Right now, I'm having disc one of the Prima/Manone disc - last time I played this I wasn't half as much into Condon, Russell, Teagarden, Freeman, Manone et. al. - having a ball now! (And as I type this Prima sings about having a ball with spaghetti... he he - must be catesta's fault! :g)

• 4 years later...

Seeing that it was on last chance and would only get further out of my price range once it goes OOP, I snatched up a copy, sans box and booklet, for only $62.99 on Amazon. I'm hoping that An Electrifying Evening with the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet has been cleaned up a bit. The CD reissue that I own has awful sound, and I'm a sucker for the Gillespie band with Lalo Schifrin. Between the Schifrin, Mobley and Barron tracks, I'm pretty excited to hear this.

Seeing that it was on last chance and would only get further out of my price range once it goes OOP, I snatched up a copy, sans box and booklet, for only $62.99 on Amazon. I'm hoping that An Electrifying Evening with the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet has been cleaned up a bit. The CD reissue that I own has awful sound, and I'm a sucker for the Gillespie band with Lalo Schifrin. Between the Schifrin, Mobley and Barron tracks, I'm pretty excited to hear this.

Congrats on a solid purchase. Enjoyable set.

Seeing that it was on last chance and would only get further out of my price range once it goes OOP, I snatched up a copy, sans box and booklet, for only $62.99 on Amazon.

Ah, one of those non-box non-booklet copies that fell off the back of a truck. Didn't know they were still selling those.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/8/2017 at 2:31 PM, maizeblue said:

I just received the Gillespie box set  directly from Mosaic and am enjoying it.   It was one of their odd lots they wanted to sell; It is missing disks 3 & 4. I'd love to have a complete set. Does anyone know of anyone with a spare 3 and 4 cd  ? 

Great set. Enjoy.