Dexter Gordon

Alon Marcus

On 9/5/2017 at 7:07 AM, mjzee said:

Dex made a great series of recordings at The Jazzhus Montmartre in July 1967.  Some list the recording date as 7/20/67, though one source lists it as 7/20 & 21/67.  These tracks are available over 4 CDs: Body And Soul, Both Sides Of Midnight and Take The "A" Train (all Black Lion/1201 Music) and Live At The Jazzhus Montmartre (Jazz Colours).  Does anyone know the exact recording sequence of these tracks?  Was also wondering how many sets these were, and whether they were spread out over two days.  Many thanks in advance.

According to Thorbjorn Sjogren's 1986 discography, these recordings were made at the J.M. on three consecutive nights (Thursday) July 20, (Friday) July 21 and (Saturday) July 22.  Back when this thread began, I might have been able to tell you whether any other sources had given the same three dates, but I no longer remember whether I've seen any such corroboration or other scholarly writing about this.  The Jazz Colours CD, which was the last of the four to be released, indicates July 20/21, but is the one CD which contains material from the July 22 show, according to Sjogren.  However, Manfred Scheffner's liner notes are extremely brief and generic, and say almost nothing about the actual recordings on the CD.

Sjogren lists 32 songs, while the four CD's contain a total of 21 songs.  Jazzdisco.org's entry only indicates July 20 and 21, and they botch the discographical details, listing several songs twice for the sake of organizing them by their commercial releases (?).  Anyway, I couldn't tell you how many sets were involved each night, but I can list all of the songs if you're really interested.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had all of the Blue Notes for years but just found and downloaded one that was recorded in three sessions in 1961 and 1962 called "Landslide." It's excellent. You can find details on Discogs.com. Also located all the Black Lion releases on eMusic for $1.99 to $2.99 each at 320 Mbps. And there are a whole lot of his Steeplechase sides there as well, however, a number of them are listed under Various Artists, so yo need to dig through them by searching on "Steeplechase." This includes the duets with Jackie McLean. In any case, they are all bargain priced and the sound is excellent. Reading this thread has been fun!

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, mjzee said:

Turns out there was another Dexter live set released on Steeplechase, not yet mentioned in this thread:

R-6972528-1430728819-3430.jpeg.jpgR-6972528-1430728829-5009.jpeg.jpg

this must be very interesting, since most of the live material of Gordon on Steeplechase was made in the summer 1964, and later in the 70´s there was more Studio Recordings (with the exception of the fantastic "Meeting" and "Source" where he plays with Jackie McLean). 

So I'm considering Tommy's excellent offer of Steeplechase CDs for $13 each.  I want so many Dexters, I know I cannot afford them all.  How do I choose?  Here are the titles I'm considering:

31030    Dexter Gordon    More Thank You Know (1975 - with orchestra)

31145    Dexter Gordon    Strings & Things (1975 & 1976 - with orchestra)

31206    Dexter Gordon    The Shadow Of Your Smile (April 21, 1971 - with Lars Sjosten, Sture Nordin, Fredrik Noren)

31290    Dexter Gordon    Round Midnight (fall 1974 - with Benny Bailey, Lars Sjosten, Torbjorn Hultcrantz, Jual Curtis)

31373    Dexter Gordon    Revelation (fall 1974 - with Benny Bailey, Lars Sjosten, Torbjorn Hultcrantz, Jual Curtis)
31521    Dexter Gordon    The Rainbow People (fall 1974 - with Benny Bailey, Lars Sjosten, Torbjorn Hultcrantz, Jual Curtis)

36004    Dexter Gordon    Cry Me A River (November 28, 1962 - with Atli Bjorn, Marcel Rigot, William Schiopffe)
36008    Dexter Gordon    Cheese Cake (June 11, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel)
36012    Dexter Gordon    King Neptune (June 24, 1964 - with Tete, Benny Nielsen, Alex Riel)
36015    Dexter Gordon    I Want More (July 9, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Rune Carlsson)
36018    Dexter Gordon    Love For Sale (July 23, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel)
36031    Dexter Gordon    We Dot (June 10, 1965 - with Atli Bjorn, Benny Nielsen, Finn Frederiksen)
36032    Dexter Gordon    Loose Walk (June 24, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel)
36033    Dexter Gordon    Misty (July 8, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel)
36034    Dexter Gordon    Heartaches (August 5, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel)
36035    Dexter Gordon    Lady Bird (August 19, 1965 - with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel)
36036    Dexter Gordon    Stella By Starlight (January 6, 1966 - with Pony Poindexter, Kenny Drew, NHOP, Makaya Ntshoko)
36038    Dexter Gordon    Satin Doll (June 29, 1967 - with Kenny Drew, Bo Stief, Art Taylor)
31785    Dexter Gordon Quartet    Candlelight Lady (1974 - with Kenny Drew, Mads Vinding, Ed Thigpen)

37017/18    Dexter Gordon    Swedish Nights (January 23, 1969 - with Rolf Reicson, Lars Sjosten, Sture Nordin, Per Hulten).

Here are my considerations:

Two titles with orchestra - only choose 1?

Three titles with Benny Bailey - which one is best?

The others are airchecks.  I can go with the musicians I know, which would rule out Sjosten, Nordin, Hultcrantz, Bjorn, etc.  But maybe they're great!  I can go by year.  1964 was a great year, maybe stick with those.  But the 1966 date has Pony Poindexter!  1967: amazing year for Dex.  1969: while I don't know the musicians, this was recorded only two weeks before "Live At The Amsterdam Paradiso," one of my all-time favorite Dexes!  1974: Ed Thigpen - that would be interesting.

So I need help (probably in many ways).  Anyone care to offer guidance?

It is difficult to just select a few. I did not care for the 2 with orchestra. As for the others, I Suggest either just picking a few randomly, or trying to mix it up a bit by choosing 1 or 2 with Tete, 1 or 2 with Kenny Drew, & 1 with Benny Bailey.

Sjosten is, in my view, a very good pianist. Atli Bjorn is the weakest of the pianists, so would tend to pass on the ones on which he plays.

5 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

It is difficult to just select a few. I did not care for the 2 with orchestra. As for the others, I Suggest either just picking a few randomly, or trying to mix it up a bit by choosing 1 or 2 with Tete, 1 or 2 with Kenny Drew, & 1 with Benny Bailey.

Sjosten is, in my view, a very good pianist. Atli Bjorn is the weakest of the pianists, so would tend to pass on the ones on which he plays.

Thanks for the feedback; I think you're not alone in feeling lukewarm about the orchestra dates.  So, picking an arbitrary number of five, I've chosen:

31206    Dexter Gordon    The Shadow Of Your Smile (April 21, 1971 - with Lars Sjosten, Sture Nordin, Fredrik Noren) for the song selection

36032    Dexter Gordon    Loose Walk (June 24, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel), again for the song selection

36035    Dexter Gordon    Lady Bird (August 19, 1965 - with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel) for Byrd

31785    Dexter Gordon Quartet    Candlelight Lady (1974 - with Kenny Drew, Mads Vinding, Ed Thigpen) for the year and length

37017/18    Dexter Gordon    Swedish Nights (January 23, 1969 - with Rolf Reicson, Lars Sjosten, Sture Nordin, Per Hulten), for the year

22 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

If you don't have them, get the three Swiss Nights discs.

I have 1 and 3 on CD; 2 is coming on LP from Tommy's other Steeplechase offer.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Who arranged the orchestra records?

"More Than You Know" was arranged by Palle Mikkelborg.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Than_You_Know_(Dexter_Gordon_album)

"Strings and Things" has two different dates on it.  Four tracks appear to be additional material from "More Thank You Know;" three tracks were from an album by Esko Linnavalli, who did the arrangements.  https://www.discogs.com/Dexter-Gordon-Strings-Things/release/8957642 https://www.discogs.com/Esko-Linnavalli-New-Music-Orchestra-A-Good-Time-Was-Had-By-All/release/2362943

6 minutes ago, mjzee said:

"More Than You Know" was arranged by Palle Mikkelborg.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Than_You_Know_(Dexter_Gordon_album)

"Strings and Things" has two different dates on it.  Four tracks appear to be additional material from "More Thank You Know;" three tracks were from an album by Esko Linnavalli, who did the arrangements.  https://www.discogs.com/Dexter-Gordon-Strings-Things/release/8957642 https://www.discogs.com/Esko-Linnavalli-New-Music-Orchestra-A-Good-Time-Was-Had-By-All/release/2362943

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 7:07 AM, mjzee said:

Dex made a great series of recordings at The Jazzhus Montmartre in July 1967.  Some list the recording date as 7/20/67, though one source lists it as 7/20 & 21/67.

Available again in this Japanese configuration. But can two discs really cover the "complete" 1967 Montmartre recordings?

30 minutes ago, Late said:

Available again in this Japanese configuration. But can two discs really cover the "complete" 1967 Montmartre recordings?

I've compared the new release to the three Black Lion CDs (Body And Soul, Both Sides Of Midnight, Take The 'A' Train).  There are alternates of For All We Know and Blues Walk on the Black Lion releases that are not on the new issue; it's otherwise complete as to the Black Lion tracks.  There was also a fourth CD, "Live at the Jazzhus Montmartre" on the Jazz Colours label, with material not on the Black Lions: I Should Care, Darn That Dream, Now's The Time, Satin Doll, What's New (thanks to Chuck Nessa for hipping me to this album's existence).  It is available for download from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Live-At-Jazzhus-Dexter-Gordon/dp/B00ZRRH6DU/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1586821193&sr=1-2-fkmr0

51a9mYKyftL.jpg

I'd love to get the original playing order of these concerts.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I've compared the new release to the three Black Lion CDs (Body And Soul, Both Sides Of Midnight, Take The 'A' Train).  There are alternates of For All We Know and Blues Walk on the Black Lion releases that are not on the new issue; it's otherwise complete as to the Black Lion tracks.  There was also a fourth CD, "Live at the Jazzhus Montmartre" on the Jazz Colours label, with material not on the Black Lions: I Should Care, Darn That Dream, Now's The Time, Satin Doll, What's New (thanks to Chuck Nessa for hipping me to this album's existence).

Thanks for that information!

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

I've compared the new release to the three Black Lion CDs (Body And Soul, Both Sides Of Midnight, Take The 'A' Train).  There are alternates of For All We Know and Blues Walk on the Black Lion releases that are not on the new issue; it's otherwise complete as to the Black Lion tracks.  There was also a fourth CD, "Live at the Jazzhus Montmartre" on the Jazz Colours label, with material not on the Black Lions: I Should Care, Darn That Dream, Now's The Time, Satin Doll, What's New (thanks to Chuck Nessa for hipping me to this album's existence).  It is available for download from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Live-At-Jazzhus-Dexter-Gordon/dp/B00ZRRH6DU/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1586821193&sr=1-2-fkmr0

51a9mYKyftL.jpg

I'd love to get the original playing order of these concerts.

To a Dexaholic this info was disconcerting, but maybe I knew back then that this was new Montmartre material, as I did find it in the archives. Just seeing name and dates I think I'd have assumed a new packaging of existing Black Lion material.

54 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

To a Dexaholic this info was disconcerting, but maybe I knew back then that this was new Montmartre material, as I did find it in the archives. Just seeing name and dates I think I'd have assumed a new packaging of existing Black Lion material.

What’s disconcerting is: while the fourth CD is on the Jazz Colours label, it contains Black Lion material (as can be seen on the download).  It should have therefore been included in the new release, with all the tracks presented in the original playing order.