Dexter Gordon

Alon Marcus

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not demeaning or belittling - just my opinion on his playing - there are many saxophonists I like - stylistically, from that school; I will name a few - Gene Ammons, Lester Young (of course), Nick Nicholas, Paul Quinnichette, Wardell Gray, non-saxophonist Dickey Wells (for behind-the-beat phrasing), Percy France, Dick Wilson, Earl Warren, Benny Carter (the last two just to name some oldtimers on another horn), Bobby Jones (the one who played with Red Nichols in the 1940s), Bud Freeman, Frankie Trumbauer (c-melody), Irving Fazola and Rod Cless (clarinets), Prez on clarinet - give me time and I'll come up with more -

I love Gene Ammons too, so I guess mariuana is ok with you, he did a stint in the joint for that, Lester Young was a notorious drunk, so I guess abuse of alcohol is ok with you, Paul Quinnichette who sounded like a prez clone, and how many sessions did Nick Nicholas lead, and since wardell and dex played together it wouldn't be a stretch to say that he probably was shootin up with dex

not demeaning or belittling - just my opinion on his playing - there are many saxophonists I like - stylistically, from that school; I will name a few - Gene Ammons, Lester Young (of course), Nick Nicholas, Paul Quinnichette, Wardell Gray, non-saxophonist Dickey Wells (for behind-the-beat phrasing), Percy France, Dick Wilson, Earl Warren, Benny Carter (the last two just to name some oldtimers on another horn), Bobby Jones (the one who played with Red Nichols in the 1940s), Bud Freeman, Frankie Trumbauer (c-melody), Irving Fazola and Rod Cless (clarinets), Prez on clarinet - give me time and I'll come up with more -

ALLEN IM TALKING ABOUT THE INTERVIEW. I think i know why you pick and choose which of my comments you respond to and the ones you don't respond to............

I have NO problem with drug use per se, mrjazzman, and if you had read my posts more carefully you would understand that - I only pointed out that:

1) I don't like Dexter's playing and that

2) some of the things that I don't like about it are probably related to his drug use -

I've worked with many junkies and alcoholics, as matter of fact, some of my best friends are addicted to various substances. I've been on the bandstand with 'em, watched em drink, and heard their junkie tales (Joe Albany was the most entertaining in this respect; he particularly liked his horse tranquilizer) -

I still don't like Dexter's playing -

"Are you telling me those producers would have continued to record this dull boring guy if the record sales didn't warrant it??????????????????"

I know for a fact that Schlitten didn't sell shit of Dexter's stuff - I worked for Schlitten many years ago -

Edited by AllenLowe

I have NO problem with drug use per se, mrjazzman, and if you had read my posts more carefully you would understand that - I only pointed out that:

1) I don't like Dexter's playing and that

2) some of the things that I don't like about it are probably related to his drug use -

I've worked with many junkies and alcoholics, as matter of fact, some of my best friends are addicted to various substances. I've been on the bandstand with 'em, watched em drink, and heard their junkie tales (Joe Albany was the most entertaining in this respect; he particularly liked his horse tranquilizer) -

I still don't like Dexter's playing -

MORE CONTRADICTIONS..............allen, all im saying is that if you don't like his playing, sound, phrasing, behing the beat playing, or whatever, that's cool, we're all entitled to like or dislike, this is America.

and do you live your life on probablys "probably related to his drug use" did you ever see him shoot up, you really don't know for sure wether he was impaired or not do you? when it comes to dex you have a choice of seeling the glass half full or half empty and you're making the negative choice. im not trying to prove you wrong or me right, it's just that imo, your comments are extremely disrespectfull............

Hey anyone want to speculate on how Dexter's final decade or decade and a half would have been if he hadn't been an expatriot those years? Do you think he would have had to sharpen and tighten to keep eveb with or ahead of the pack with the diminishing market?

If you mean what would've happened had he stayed in the states in the 60s & early 70s, my hunch is that he'd have died much sooner than he did.

I'm afraid you might be right.

Guest akanalog

mr. jazzman you seem to be heated because allen can't prove an opinion to you.

he is just giving his opinion. he can't possibly prove it. it's an opinion. not fact.

mr. jazzman you seem to be heated because allen can't prove an opinion to you.

he is just giving his opinion. he can't possibly prove it. it's an opinion. not fact.

overall I would agree but some of his comments READ like they're demeaning. I fully understand and respect the fact that we all have and are entitled to our opinions...................

Edited by mrjazzman

"Are you telling me those producers would have continued to record this dull boring guy if the record sales didn't warrant it??????????????????"

I know for a fact that Schlitten didn't sell shit of Dexter's stuff - I worked for Schlitten many years ago -

I would venture to say that those prestige dates sold pretty well, Schlitten produced several of them. and here you go again with your selective responses, what about Wolf/Lion and the Blue Notes..............

point is, mrjazzman (and here we are arguing about nothing) is that those producers and labels you mentioned were as concerned with quality as about sales - so your question is irrelevant -

i see it as more of a discussion than an argument. no producer is going to keep recording an artist whose records are not selling no matter the quality, but since I have persuaded you to mention the word "Quality" in conjunction with the name DEXTER GORDON, I will rest my case................

welll, that's only 4-1 - and I know another guy who doesn't like him - plus my wife - so it's still 4-3 but getting closer -

as i said, i've made my points, time for me to rest my case, especially with your tendency to resort to the above frivolity and jokes on what to me is a very serious subject................

Ok children. I'm closing this thread while I clean it up. I've not been one to delete posts in the past, but I'm going to remove all the completely irrational and stupid comments in this thread (at my discretion) and then re-open it.

And upon re-opening it, if you could all act like adults and actually discuss differences of opinions without resorting to insulting each other's mothers, that would be just peachy.