Dexter Gordon

Alon Marcus

Ok children. I'm closing this thread while I clean it up. I've not been one to delete posts in the past, but I'm going to remove all the completely irrational and stupid comments in this thread (at my discretion) and then re-open it.

And upon re-opening it, if you could all act like adults and actually discuss differences of opinions without resorting to insulting each other's mothers, that would be just peachy.

I'm cool with that jim, i'm not the one who started mentioning mothers, and GO is one of my favorites. how's the band coming along..............

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok children. I'm closing this thread while I clean it up. I've not been one to delete posts in the past, but I'm going to remove all the completely irrational and stupid comments in this thread (at my discretion) and then re-open it.

And upon re-opening it, if you could all act like adults and actually discuss differences of opinions without resorting to insulting each other's mothers, that would be just peachy.

I could definitely use a nap and a juicebox. Thanks, Jim.

If you like GO! Check out "A swinging Affair" same band a few days later.

Guest akanalog

i would check out "our man in paris" which i think has a harder edge than a lot of gordon i have heard and a nice selection of tunes on it.

also perhaps "one flight up" because he gets into sort of a late 60s thing, a bit less straight swing, then i have heard him otherwise.

"ca'purange" or however you spell it is also a sleeper on prestige with an interesting band, including a young stanley clarke and some vigorous straight ahead playing over an almost rock-ish beat on the title tune. there is also a long slow tune who's name escapes me which has this very pleasant looseness to it, the tune held together by clarke's rubbery bass, to my ears.

The band is great, thanks. We just had a nice party last night to celebrate our success in 2005.

Back to Dexter, I only have one recording by him, the aforementioned "GO!" What else is critical listening for the man?

oh man where should i start, well, I own so many of dex's sessions, i group them by labels

Blue Note: love "Our Man In Paris" "Getting Around" of course "Go" a session you don't hear a lot about

"Landslide" "Dexter Calling" there some others "Clubhouse"(with Hub) "The Jumpin Blues"

Prestige: "Tower Of Power" "More Power" "Generation"(with Freddie Hubbard) "The Resurgence Of Dexter Gordon" "At Montreux W/Jr. Mance"

SteepleChase: "Cry Me A River" "Billie's Bounce" "King Neptune" "I Want More" and others

"A Day In Copenhagen" on Polydor is really nice with Slide Hapmton playing and arranging

The band is great, thanks. We just had a nice party last night to celebrate our success in 2005.

Back to Dexter, I only have one recording by him, the aforementioned "GO!" What else is critical listening for the man?

Blue Note:...."The Jumpin Blues"

That one's a personal fave as well, but it's on Prestige.

Ghuck pulled my coat to Lullaby For A Monster on Steeplechase, and I'm more than a little glad he did. Superb!

i would check out "our man in paris" which i think has a harder edge than a lot of gordon i have heard and a nice selection of tunes on it.

also perhaps "one flight up" because he gets into sort of a late 60s thing, a bit less straight swing, then i have heard him otherwise.

"ca'purange" or however you spell it is also a sleeper on prestige with an interesting band, including a young stanley clarke and some vigorous straight ahead playing over an almost rock-ish beat on the title tune. there is also a long slow tune who's name escapes me which has this very pleasant looseness to it, the tune held together by clarke's rubbery bass, to my ears.

your spelling is correct. the slow tune i believe is Oh! Karen O. If someone held a gun to my head and said hurry up and pick one blue note, it would be difficult but it would be "Our Man In Paris". My favorite dex in a quintet setting would be "Generation" and the Herbie Hancock session "Takin' Off" both with Freddie Hubbard.....

Edited by mrjazzman

jumpin blues is nice because you got some roy brooks on it. and wynton kelly, no?

two greats....

Jumpin' Blues is one of my favorites, pissed me off when i opened the booklet to find no liner notes, just a blank space............

That empty space reflects the original lp liners.

My favorites of the SteepleChase releases are the Swiss Nights discs.

oh man where should i start, well, I own so many of dex's sessions, i group them by labels

Blue Note: love "Our Man In Paris" "Getting Around" of course "Go" a session you don't hear a lot about

"Landslide" "Dexter Calling" there some others "Clubhouse"(with Hub) "The Jumpin Blues"

Prestige: "Tower Of Power" "More Power" "Generation"(with Freddie Hubbard) "The Resurgence Of Dexter Gordon" "At Montreux W/Jr. Mance"

SteepleChase: "Cry Me A River" "Billie's Bounce" "King Neptune" "I Want More" and others

"A Day In Copenhagen" on Polydor is really nice with Slide Hapmton playing and arranging

"The Jumpin' Blues" was on Prestige. (I see Jim mentioned that)

"Resurgence" was on Jazzland.

"The Jumpin' Blues" was on Prestige. (I see Jim mentioned that)

"Resurgence" was on Jazzland.

my bad, and i have them right here in front of me, i stand corrected..........

Why is Dex being singled out for his addiction(s)? Other then Cliff Brown, all the greats were junkies.

this is what i was trying to get across to allen...............

Geez, ya' had to go back two weeks to mine this quote. I do have to say drugs do affect some musicians more than others and you can tell the difference. I do also have to say I think Allen "way" over-reacted to the info he had at hand.

FWIW, the Dexter in Radioland releases are very fine but poor $ per minute. First I suggest tracking down the 4 full(er) cds of Black Lion recordings from 1967 with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Albert Heath. They have better sound and can be found inexpensively on Amazon and Half.com. Dexter plays beautifully.

The original (cd) titles are:

Take The "A" Train

Both Sides of Midnight

Body and Soul

Live! at the Jazzhus Montmartre

Edited by Chuck Nessa

So a moderator can change a post without an "edit" notation?

I can? Hey, it looks like I can! Damn, I'm sweet! :g

At this point I'd like to mention in August Use3D posted a thread called "NEW FUN, look here. He was running a contest and I won. He said "

your title is under your avatar, since you won you can pick any one you want, including the final level title if you like".

I said I'd take my time. I now select "moderator". :cool:

right now listening to I'll Remember April from "Biting The Apple" on SteepleChase, very nice. check out these SteepleChase dates from 1964 when he was still in what i'll call his fertile period

Cheesecake, King Neptune, Love For Sale, and I Want More, and Billie's Bounce...........

And one more you´re missing: "It´s you or no one" (SteepleChase LP 12": SCC 6022 ) or (SteepleChase CD: SCCD 36022) or (Video Arts Music CD: VACE-9006).